The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2021 Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hanlaff
In mine they stuck to the questions. (History secondary as well :smile:) Good luck!

Hope you don't mind me asking but what were the questions for Glasgow's PGDE History this year please?
Original post by dmbieniek
Hello everyone! I got my place at Edinburgh uni for secondary biology a week after interviewing. I still haven’t even had an interview invitation from any other university. Edinburgh and Aberdeen are my top choices (since with Aberdeen you are only in 2 days a week). Anyone else here got into Edinburgh for biology? I’m keen to start meeting people and to start to prep a bit better :smile:

Congratulations! I just got offered a place on the PGDE (Biology) at Edinburgh too. Absolutely over the moon!
Original post by Lust for Life
Congratulations! I just got offered a place on the PGDE (Biology) at Edinburgh too. Absolutely over the moon!

Congratulations, that’s amazing news! Do you think you will accept it?
What did you think of the interviewers? I had such a good time with them chatting etc that it’s making me more excited to start!
Congratulations, that’s amazing news! Do you think you will accept it?
What did you think of the interviewers? I had such a good time with them chatting etc that it’s making me more excited to start!

Yes, I think I’ll accept it! Feel the same as you re interviews. Interviewers were so nice and gave me a good feeling about the course too. Keep pinching myself.... I’m so excited 😊
Original post by Lust for Life
Yes, I think I’ll accept it! Feel the same as you re interviews. Interviewers were so nice and gave me a good feeling about the course too. Keep pinching myself.... I’m so excited 😊

Sent you a PM
Hey, I think I've asked this question before, but I was just wondering if anyone has a conditional for Glasgow (primary specifically) based on a pending degree classification, and what classification you're expected to obtain? I had my interview on Friday and it went really well, but I'm worried that if I'm lucky enough to receive an offer it'll be a 2:1 offer, which due to personal circumstances this year I think I'll probably just miss. Any insight into what kind of offers Glasgow are giving out would be so helpful!!
Original post by euphrasies
I'm sorry to hear that, but it's good that you've got your plans set on doing whatever it takes to make it happen! The HNC isn't a terrible idea, but I think it is more geared towards early years (i.e. nursery). It's definitely more grounded in childcare and early development than it is education. Assuming you are based in Edinburgh- I just took a look on myjobscotland and Edinburgh City Council is advertising some pupil support assistant vacancies, which I absolutely think would be your best bet! I'm still fairly certain that the Covid policy of not letting anyone who isn't staff or pupils (i.e. people wanting volunteering/shadowing experience) will continue, but some schools are definitely hiring at the moment, so that would absolutely be worth looking into. These vacancies are also entry-level with nothing more required than a 'good basic education', so I do think having a degree will make you a very attractive candidate- they're also mostly part-time, but you'd definitely be better off getting part time relevant experience than working full-time somewhere else. Wishing you all the best! :smile:

@Lucykay99 I would echo the above - if you're in Edinburgh definitely keep an eye on PSA roles coming up. I planned to apply last year but took the year to give myself as much experience as I could and I'm so glad I did. I'm currently a PSA in Edinburgh and I told them in my application and interview that I was planning to go on to do the PGDE and they have been amazing for nurturing that, giving me as much experience as possible (I've built a great relationship with the social subjects department and have planned and taught my own lessons, created differentiated resources etc) so I feel 1000x more ready going into the course now having done this. A lot of PSA positions are fixed term for a year and also a lot of people do them before the PGDE so I would expect after summer there will be a lot cropping up. Good luck!!
Original post by hanlaff
@Lucykay99 I would echo the above - if you're in Edinburgh definitely keep an eye on PSA roles coming up. I planned to apply last year but took the year to give myself as much experience as I could and I'm so glad I did. I'm currently a PSA in Edinburgh and I told them in my application and interview that I was planning to go on to do the PGDE and they have been amazing for nurturing that, giving me as much experience as possible (I've built a great relationship with the social subjects department and have planned and taught my own lessons, created differentiated resources etc) so I feel 1000x more ready going into the course now having done this. A lot of PSA positions are fixed term for a year and also a lot of people do them before the PGDE so I would expect after summer there will be a lot cropping up. Good luck!!

Hello! I know this reply wasn't for me but I'm in a similar position. Looking to do secondary drama, and can only do this at either Edinburgh or Aberdeen. I didn't get an interview for Edinburgh. Still waiting on Aberdeen so you never know but I don't have much experience working with children (a few months helping at a youth club years ago) and no school experience so thinking next year might be my time as by then will hopefully be able to get some more experience! Thanks for writing about your experience of being a PSA. I currently work full time in Events and have been considering trying to become a PSA so glad to hear this :smile: I wondered if they wouldn't want me if I mentioned my ambition to be a teacher since that meant I wouldn't be long term so it's good to know a lot of people do this. One thing I've noticed is that most of the roles are part time which does make it more difficult with finances etc. I just wondered was your role full time?
Helo. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Aberdeen for secondary? I've applied for secondary drama and haven't heard anything since the initial acknowledgement of my application. I did apply quite late in January (26th). Wondering if anyone knows whether it's likely we'll hear by 31st March or maybe it will be longer due to covid delays etc.
Original post by clrxyz
Hey, I think I've asked this question before, but I was just wondering if anyone has a conditional for Glasgow (primary specifically) based on a pending degree classification, and what classification you're expected to obtain? I had my interview on Friday and it went really well, but I'm worried that if I'm lucky enough to receive an offer it'll be a 2:1 offer, which due to personal circumstances this year I think I'll probably just miss. Any insight into what kind of offers Glasgow are giving out would be so helpful!!

Hello, I also had an interview for Glasgow primary on Friday!
Obviously haven't heard back yet either, But looking at their entrance requirements, It does say degree classification has to be 2.1 and above.
My higher Maths and English are like 15 years old but I am doing an OU maths modules his year which I am probably going to drop due to having no chance to study during second lockdown (home schooling a teenager and pre-schooler!) So I'm really hoping my old highers are enough and they don't give me a conditional based on the OU module. I've already got my 2.1 and Masters, just worried my average high school grades might hold me back 😂
Hello - wondering if there is anyone that waited five, six or even seven weeks before they heard back that they were successful?
Original post by GS2021TeachDrama
Helo. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Aberdeen for secondary? I've applied for secondary drama and haven't heard anything since the initial acknowledgement of my application. I did apply quite late in January (26th). Wondering if anyone knows whether it's likely we'll hear by 31st March or maybe it will be longer due to covid delays etc.

Hello! I still haven’t heard anything from Aberdeen yet either. I went to their open day last week though and they said that they’re still interviewing and will keep on doing it right up until the course starts (if they have spots and late applicants). What I got from it is they’re interviewing whoever applied first and that there’s quite a bit of a delay. Basically no news = good news so far :smile:
Hello! I still haven’t heard anything from Aberdeen yet either. I went to their open day last week though and they said that they’re still interviewing and will keep on doing it right up until the course starts (if they have spots and late applicants). What I got from it is they’re interviewing whoever applied first and that there’s quite a bit of a delay. Basically no news = good news so far :smile:

Great that's really useful to know, thanks so much for replying 😊 The waiting game continues haha. Fingers crossed for us both. What have you applied for?
Has anyone had an offer from UHI at all yet?
Original post by scottishbecca

Still anxiously waiting! Interviewed end of Feb. They said end of march/start of Feb so hopefully soon!
Original post by scottishbecca

Haven’t heard of anyone who’s heard anything from UHI across any PGDE course.

I know they had a cyber attack so not sure if that’s impacted their process. I see they’ve closed applications for primary but secondary appears to still be open.

I interviewed 2 weeks ago today. Was confident but found the interview fairly impersonal and frustratingly brief and am now overthinking the whole thing.
Yes I am still waiting to hear back from Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Edinburgh after interviews for PGDE history. I think there is quite a long delay it would seem! Some subjects appear to be offering quicker than others. I really hope no news is good news at this point 😀
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LAS2021
Hello - wondering if there is anyone that waited five, six or even seven weeks before they heard back that they were successful?

Hello, I interviewed with Strathclyde over 5 weeks ago and have heard anything yet. I’m hoping new new is good new 🤗
I had my interview with Dundee on the 4th and still not heard back! Getting nervous 😬
I've still not haD an invite for an interview from Strathclyde for PGDE in Primary. Feeling nervous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending