The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
How is the countryside in inherrently 'racist' historical or otherwise though?

As in the chooclate bar?
Also, coconut tends to be used by ethnics to describe each other more than by whites lol (although an exception can be made about islanders who seem to have that word lobbed at them)

I wasn't taking about the countryside specifically, more just Britain iself (honestly I don't really know how to articulate this or its truthfulness so feel free to discard it.)

Bounty is another word I've heard for coconut. It comes from the chocolate bar for the same reason as coconut.
I know, it's another example of aversion towards 'white culture' among BAME people. Personally I find the use of the word demeaning.
Original post by Napp
'ethnics see the countryside as a white environment' - no **** it's a white country :rolleyes: Equally, its entirely their choice if they want to live in the inner city.
I will grant country folk arent generally too welcoming to inner city types coming into their villages though but that tends to less be to do with race and more they don't want city baggage being imported. and of course they also don't want more houses built NIMBY and all.

This does rather echo of the *******ising of Midsomer Murders where they decided to make it more "inclusive" by putting a few token minorities in it. I'm not sure if those in power know this but the show was entirely representative before hand :lol:

Midsomer Murders is not representative at all, that village probably has more murders than the entirety of London. Houses would be cheap though.
Reply 22
Original post by DiddyDec
Midsomer Murders is not representative at all, that village probably has more murders than the entirety of London. Houses would be cheap though.

Someone did do a study to arrive at the fact it is the most crime ridden town nationally, it could probably give Mogadishu a ran for its money on a relative basis :lol:
Mmm although the town its mainly set in most certainly isn't, it was a couple of miles away from where i used to live... toffee nosed toss pots as far as the eye could see :tongue:
Original post by Wōden
....And why is that most pro-diversity liberals also seem to live in and actively move to areas that are anything but diverse, cities like Brighton and Bristol spring to mind (or indeed many of them move out of the major cities into the countryside? They almost never move to those afformentioned areas that are increasingly majority non-white. Why is that?

Have you any evidence that "the most pro-diversity liberals seem to live in and actively move to areas that are anything but diverse", or that they "almost never move to those afforementioned areas that are increasingly majority non-white"?

The examples that "spring to [your] mind" as being "far from diverse", suggest otherwise. Bristol has a higher than average BAME population (Based on the last census, UK population = 87% White, Bristol = 84% White,) and Brighton is only slightly more White - and the excess is due to a greater proportion of non-British Whites (89% White, but 2% more than the UK average classed as 'non-British White').

Young and aspirant people tend to migrate from the countryside to cities.That's why first generation migrants end up in cities (more jobs, more contacts with others from their background). They remain so long as their income remains low or insecure, or they have young families/family networks. In general, once they are financially secure and older, free from family responsibilities, people of all ethnicities tend to move to the countryside because they want bigger houses and more space. Although the UK countryside remains overwhelmingly White, in recent years, the proportion of BAME people there has increased.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/862320/Rural_population_and_migration_Jan_20.pdf
Original post by DiddyDec
Don't even get them started on gypsies.

There's a difference between law-abiding Romany gypsies that don't trespass on people's farms, don't commit crimes and keep old traditions alive, and the sort of gypsies that give them a bad reputation. It's a shame that the second type ruin the first type's representation.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
There's a difference between law-abiding Romany gypsies that don't trespass on people's farms, don't commit crimes and keep old traditions alive, and the sort of gypsies that give them a bad reputation. It's a shame that the second type ruin the first type's representation.

Not going there.
Original post by Daveological
Bounty is another word I've heard for coconut. It comes from the chocolate bar for the same reason as coconut.
I know, it's another example of aversion towards 'white culture' among BAME people. Personally I find the use of the word demeaning.

It's worse than demeaning, it's racist. It involves sneering at both white culture and non-whites who largely adopt it, as though it were beneath them. Similar to "Uncle Tom".
Afterthought to the above, we know about the words of abuse "coconut", "bounty", and for some Orientals, "banana". Is there any corresponding term which whites use to describe whites to go in for non-white cultures? I know there's "whigger" but that seems to refer to a relatively narrow subculture, and exclusively about a youthful fad. How about "polar bear" (as it has dark skin)? But as I say, I've never heard of any such term.
Original post by Justvisited
Afterthought to the above, we know about the words of abuse "coconut", "bounty", and for some Orientals, "banana". Is there any corresponding term which whites use to describe whites to go in for non-white cultures? I know there's "whigger" but that seems to refer to a relatively narrow subculture, and exclusively about a youthful fad. How about "polar bear" (as it has dark skin)? But as I say, I've never heard of any such term.

In my experience white racists who throw a strop about these issues tend to be blunt and refer to ”race traitors” instead of dog whistling.
Reply 29

In fairness i don't think i've ever actually come across any of the Romany gypsies, it's always the Irish tinkers and assorted 'travelers' you run into, especially in the south.
One is sure they're err lovely people and that but when they insist on breaking and entering, vandalizing, stealing and generally being horrific its not hard to see why theyre held in such disdain by the majority of people. A heard of them recently broke into the village green in the village i used to live in, seeing the oldies on the 'spotted in ***' fb group go off on it was almost worth it though :tongue: Trusting pensioners, with no internal filter, with social media is always a recipe for hilarity in such circumstances :lol:
Original post by Napp
In fairness i don't think i've ever actually come across any of the Romany gypsies, it's always the Irish tinkers and assorted 'travelers' you run into, especially in the south.
One is sure they're err lovely people and that but when they insist on breaking and entering, vandalizing, stealing and generally being horrific its not hard to see why theyre held in such disdain by the majority of people. A heard of them recently broke into the village green in the village i used to live in, seeing the oldies on the 'spotted in ***' fb group go off on it was almost worth it though :tongue: Trusting pensioners, with no internal filter, with social media is always a recipe for hilarity in such circumstances :lol:

That was what I meant. Much of the problem is that the community refuses to address the people who give it a bad name and that these people are more prevalent then they should be
Reply 31
That was what I meant. Much of the problem is that the community refuses to address the people who give it a bad name and that these people are more prevalent then they should be

Indeed, i mean on the one hand i'll grant them the CC's are failing dismally in their duty to give them some trailer park to plonk themselves in but, as you noted, the behaviour regardless is inexcusable.
Like most things and what the general public seems to forget these days is its about context.

I come from a village that gave more abuse for couples living "in sin" than their race, or people being on benefits as being lazy, alcoholic etc than race as we have a tourism spot a few miles away so we see people from all around the world and we have a small local hotel.

Not to say they can't be racist in the village but it would be no more than a single person who is just a bigot about many things, such as I said before they just follow stereotypes which is a huge reason why I hate "ism" culture as it often in itself generalises based on someones race, gender, sexuality etc rather than the fact the person in question may just be a nasty piece of work.

On the gypsies thing, I have a friend who used to work in a supermarket he said when genuine gypsies came in they were nothing but friendly it was the "travellers" who had a bad name stealing, causing scenes etc and they were the same ones that had to show things like gold watches on their arms.

I am no more or no less racist than anyone else but certain things would make people call me "racist" such as I live in a area with far more Eastern Europeans than non white people, if I saw a group of loud black youths wearing hoodies I would get a bit worried and make efforts to avoid them, I have been told that makes me racist. But the context here is I would still be the same if it was white youths the only difference is I know that would be more common, just as I would understand a black person being wary of a gang of white youth in a area of majority black people.
Reply 33
Original post by Daveological
I wasn't taking about the countryside specifically, more just Britain iself (honestly I don't really know how to articulate this or its truthfulness so feel free to discard it.)

Ahh gotcha. I must say, when i heard this definition of coconut i did find it rather eyebrow raising. In the antipodes it tends to be a slur for islanders (for obvious reasons).
Calling people coconuts for being 'white on the inside' seems to reek of the similar mindset of calling people 'race traitors' though.
Reply 34
Typically moe rural and countryside areas are much more demographically homogenous, so it doesn’t surprise me if there are more traditional and unwelcoming attitudes towards immigration or ethnic minorities that could be viewed as “racist.”
Original post by Guru Jason
I dont think its colour that plays a part of it, it's just outsiders in general. Many of these places (including the village I grew up in) dont consider you a local unless your like 10th gen from that village.

I liken it to the bit in Hot Fuzz "Hes not even from around 'ere."

I can relate to this. My family moved from London to a countryside town and even though we were as English as you can get, the neighbours were still hostile to us as we were outsiders to their native town.
Just a heads up gyp**** is considered a slur by the Romani people and yall shouldnt use it :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by physicsamor
Just a heads up gyp**** is considered a slur by the Romani people and yall shouldnt use it :smile:

Are you a Roma?

You have no right to police what people can and can’t say.
Original post by Occitanie
Are you a Roma?

You have no right to police what people can and can’t say.

No, but this is common knowledge which many Romani people have spoken about. A slur is a slur and noone should say it. Just like other slurs that exist....

I'm not sure what the problem is here, I'm informing people on something they may not have realised is actually a slur.
Reply 39
Original post by physicsamor

So? And why not? It's a perfectly good adjective...

Latest

Trending

Trending