The Student Room Group

Benefits of a Campus vs City University

What type of person would thrive in a campus vs city uni?

I have offers at a campus and city uni. I like both unis however the city uni is in a small city and I wanted more of a big city.

I like the campus uni as all the amenities are there however a city uni would probably make me more independent compared to a campus where everything you need is there.

What are pros and cons?
Hi,
I would say a campus uni would be better if ur looking for a more close-knit environment and want to bump into people you know really and might help settling in at a new uni easier. Makes it feel like a big uni town. A city uni would definitely mean more to explore in terms of parks or museums and things but obviously would take longer to get to different uni buildings and facilities, that being said it might give you the independence ur potentially looking for.
Original post by Anonymous

I have offers at a campus and city uni. I like both unis however the city uni is in a small city and I wanted more of a big city.

I like the campus uni as all the amenities are there however a city uni would probably make me more independent compared to a campus where everything you need is there.

What are pros and cons?

Hello,

I go to Lancaster University, which is a campus based university so I can tell you some of the pros and cons of that
Pros:
- Everyone who lives on campus is extremely close together
- Most, if not all people on campus will be students
- Student environment allows for more social opportunities.
- Living closer to friends helps distinguish the anxiety of the big city
- Independence from family is easier with people in your situation everwhere
- Classes are close by and easy to get to
- Student Libraries on campus are right there
- Ample study spaces

AS for cons, it's more a case that campus universities tend to be slightly away from the town/city centre so you'll often need to catch a bus to meet friends who live in the city or go shopping if there aren't any supermarkets nearby.

I can't say much for city-based campuses but I know from a few friends that go to city unis that it's a much better social environment for extroverts and people who are already capable of independence and living alone. People who lived in big cities before (like London, Manchester, Birmigham etc.) may also find city campuses a lot more viable due to familiarity, whereas a countryside campus-based uni like Lancaster may feel empty and barren. I like my campus at lancaster because I really enjoy the countryside and tight-knit student town. It's all a matter of preference

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,

I go to Lancaster University, which is a campus based university so I can tell you some of the pros and cons of that
Pros:
- Everyone who lives on campus is extremely close together
- Most, if not all people on campus will be students
- Student environment allows for more social opportunities.
- Living closer to friends helps distinguish the anxiety of the big city
- Independence from family is easier with people in your situation everwhere
- Classes are close by and easy to get to
- Student Libraries on campus are right there
- Ample study spaces

AS for cons, it's more a case that campus universities tend to be slightly away from the town/city centre so you'll often need to catch a bus to meet friends who live in the city or go shopping if there aren't any supermarkets nearby.

I can't say much for city-based campuses but I know from a few friends that go to city unis that it's a much better social environment for extroverts and people who are already capable of independence and living alone. People who lived in big cities before (like London, Manchester, Birmigham etc.) may also find city campuses a lot more viable due to familiarity, whereas a countryside campus-based uni like Lancaster may feel empty and barren. I like my campus at lancaster because I really enjoy the countryside and tight-knit student town. It's all a matter of preference

Hope this helps,
Dom

Thank you :smile:
I have an offer for Cardiff, its a city campus but a very small campus so felt like a campus uni with a small town feeling
Original post by Anonymous

What are pros and cons?

Hi,

Like it has already been mentioned, campus universities can make you feel more at home in your first year. Some of the benefits of a campus university like Kent include: lectures/buildings not being too far from each other, events usually happen in the same places so you don't need to travel far and campus based universities tend to have better security which might help if you want to attend events later at night and feel a bit worried.

Some benefits of a city university include: more choice of shops/places to eat (but in some Universities like Kent, Canterbury town centre which is a bus ride away has more options for eating out and shopping) and in a city university you might find that you are able to explore more places as the campus facilities are spread out.

I hope this helps! What draws you towards a campus university or city university?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending