The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Should I apply to Uni of Nottingham?

Hi all,
I'm applying for biology, and looking at which unis would suit me. I'm from a rural town in Devon, so not used to a big vibrant city or much nightlife. Whilst I would want to go out clubbing etc while at uni, its not a priority of mine, and im more interested in the academics if im honest. People that study there, would you recommend nottingham? Im a high achieving student, so a good biology dept is important to me - does anyone have any comments about that? I would love a uni that has lots of green spaces (im not quite ready to part with the countryside!), has anyone else been in my position before? I appreciate any advice you have!! :smile:
Reply 1
Under those criteria, no.

The only green spaces at Notts are on the actual campus itself, so you'd be trading the countryside for what is effectively a park on a hill. The campus is pretty much town (if not city) centre and it is really rather grey. The Jubilee campus looks like something out of a low-budget 1970s dystopian scifi movie. I would absolutely urge you to visit before making any decision.

Nottingham is very strong academically, and also extremely good for sports. I personally think the going-out thing is overstated. People go on about the legendary nights out, but these things are limited by your budget and you also have to take into account how unbelievably dodgy Nottingham is.

You'd get an excellent degree and have a great time socially - but if you want green spaces, I don't really think its the one.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Trinculo
Under those criteria, no.

The only green spaces at Notts are on the actual campus itself, so you'd be trading the countryside for what is effectively a park on a hill. The campus is pretty much town (if not city) centre and it is really rather grey. The Jubilee campus looks like something out of a low-budget 1970s dystopian scifi movie. I would absolutely urge you to visit before making any decision.

Nottingham is very strong academically, and also extremely good for sports. I personally think the going-out thing is overstated. People go on about the legendary nights out, but these things are limited by your budget and you also have to take into account how unbelievably dodgy Nottingham is.

You'd get an excellent degree and have a great time socially - but if you want green spaces, I don't really think its the one.

Thank you so much for your advice that is really helpful :smile:
Nottingham campus is huge with loads of green space and a boating lake.
What about UEA, although the buildings are concrete, the campus is beautiful.
I believe Bath also has a green campus.
Nottingham has a beautiful and large green campus. Wollaston Hall and deer park is just over the road. I visited quite a number of universities and Nottingham is probably the greenest we saw. Attenborough reserve is also fairly near, and the Peaks are about 30 mins away. The campus is on the edge of the city - just a 10 min bus or tram ride away. I would visit and see for yourself
Nottingham Uni main campus is 330 acres of greenery & lots of nature. Many of the buildings are beautiful old halls, some date back to 1880s. Of all the unis I visited (apart from Cambridge) it was the nicest & greenest.

I would very much recommend you visit any/all you’re considering if you can. It really helps you get a feel for the places. Some of the unis on the top of my list were disappointing when I went and so I decided to not apply after visiting. Others further down my initial list ended up at the top. The course is very important but so is being happy with where you are going to live for 3+ years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending