The Student Room Group

Higher Books

The subjects I am taking for my higher course are: English, math, chemistry, biology and physics. I am stuck between getting the Leckie and Leckie revision guides or the Hodder and Gibson how to pass series... What would you recommend from experience???
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Neervana12
The subjects I am taking for my higher course are: English, math, chemistry, biology and physics. I am stuck between getting the Leckie and Leckie revision guides or the Hodder and Gibson how to pass series... What would you recommend from experience???

I wouldn't say you need either honestly. So long as your teacher's resources are good you don't need any books. I was able to get 5A's in my Higher Prelims, 4A Band 1's and 1A Band 2, without using any books. I personally think they are on the pricey side for the little help they provide.

However, if you are adamant on buying them, I would. avoid Hodder Gibson's "How to pass series", from the view of my friends and teachers they are a complete waste of money, people I knew recommended Leckie & Leckie's Course Notes, especially for subjects like Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Just ensure that whichever you buy for English has the play, poems or novel you are studying.

Hope this helps!
Last year I sat my highers and we used the bright red books. While I got 5 A1s the books weren’t that useful as it wasn’t the way I learnt but the chemistry one did come in handy for a class test in factual recall.

As stated above they aren’t worth it and if you do need one borrow it from the school library as online resources are much better such as SCHOLAR which is designed specially for Scottish qualifications. I just wish I had it last year as it got me through AH this year without the need for overpriced textbooks. Most schools should be able to provide you access to this website but it only covers limited subjects
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JackDonnellyX
I wouldn't say you need either honestly. So long as your teacher's resources are good you don't need any books. I was able to get 5A's in my Higher Prelims, 4A Band 1's and 1A Band 2, without using any books. I personally think they are on the pricey side for the little help they provide.

However, if you are adamant on buying them, I would. avoid Hodder Gibson's "How to pass series", from the view of my friends and teachers they are a complete waste of money, people I knew recommended Leckie & Leckie's Course Notes, especially for subjects like Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Just ensure that whichever you buy for English has the play, poems or novel you are studying.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! That just made it 10 times easier for me to make my decision lol. I think ill go for the Leckie and Leckie course notes.
Original post by Horsesarethebest
Last year I sat my highers and we used the bright red books. While I got 5 A1s the books weren’t that useful as it wasn’t the way I learnt but the chemistry one did come in handy for a class test in factual recall.

As stated above they aren’t worth it and if you do need one borrow it from the school library as online resources are much better such as SCHOLAR which is designed specially for Scottish qualifications. I just wish I had it last year as it got me through AH this year without the need for overpriced textbooks. Most schools should be able to provide you access to this website but it only covers limited subjects

Thanks! I'll check it out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending