The Student Room Group

How can I get a high grade in French

I am in year 9 I wasted year 7 and 8 messing around and not doing French. I was nearly forced out of the French course since I was not getting good grades I was okay with this then in assembly they talked abut ebacc I want that a lot so I can get to a good sixth form. I have been writing down notes from duolingo I have a 33 day streak I feel I've learned something anything you've used to revise would be very helpful thank you!
Get some children’s books in French to help with general reading and vocab skills.
There’s a fair few videos on YouTube etc on learning French, so definitely watch more than your fair share of those.
Im so happy that you’re so passionate about French/language! It’s sad how many young people think it serves no purpose learning a second language - I was the only one in my A level class. Sad times :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by itscourtchicks
Get some children’s books in French to help with general reading and vocab skills.
There’s a fair few videos on YouTube etc on learning French, so definitely watch more than your fair share of those.
Im so happy that you’re so passionate about French/language! It’s sad how many young people think it serves no purpose learning a second language - I was the only one in my A level class. Sad times :frown:

Yeah I've watched some videos the one by Ikenna was great but I wont take French for Alevel sorry :frown: I don't have the passion for it. If I am able to get to A2 level French it will be ok. I watched the first ep of the French version of friends I understood a bit of it. As you said French is not appreciated well personally I didn't in year 7 and 8 since I wanted to learn Spanish because more people spoke that than French I never got the opportunity :frown: in school. But hey French is a language and I would regret it if I didn't learn some of it. I will definitely invest in some children's french books thank you so much for this good luck for your Alevels hope you do well!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sdniufheoiw
I am in year 9 I wasted year 7 and 8 messing around and not doing French. I was nearly forced out of the French course since I was not getting good grades I was okay with this then in assembly they talked abut ebacc I want that a lot so I can get to a good sixth form. I have been writing down notes from duolingo I have a 33 day streak I feel I've learned something anything you've used to revise would be very helpful thank you!

From someone that went from a 4 to a 9 in the space of the year, all you have to do is:

1) Learn all the vocab on your specification (there should be a list) and you can learn this through something like quizlet where there will be ready made stuff to help you
2) Start making and memorising really high quality french phrases that include lots of tenses like subjunctive and impressive vocabulary. You will need to memorise a lot so that you can answer questions on any topic.

Some other things like changing your phone language to French may be helpful but really not needed. Just follow those two steps and your grade will skyrocket.
Reply 4
Original post by Incede
From someone that went from a 4 to a 9 in the space of the year, all you have to do is:

1) Learn all the vocab on your specification (there should be a list) and you can learn this through something like quizlet where there will be ready made stuff to help you
2) Start making and memorising really high quality french phrases that include lots of tenses like subjunctive and impressive vocabulary. You will need to memorise a lot so that you can answer questions on any topic.

Some other things like changing your phone language to French may be helpful but really not needed. Just follow those two steps and your grade will skyrocket.

Thank you very much I appreciate this a lot I will follow these 2 steps also that's incredible how you got from 4 to 9.
Didn't even think of using impressive vocabulary I will learn that.
(edited 3 years ago)
I followed a couple of french news insta accounts and tried to translate the captions as topics in the news are generally part of the spec. I’ve got a list of all vocab I could send if you want
Hi, I'm working at a grade 9 in French and here are my main tips:

- listen to podcasts (my favourite is Coffee Break French)! In my opinion, they're the best way to practice listening since it gets you listening to the language but unlike music/TV shows, the vocab used will be more relevant as they are geared to language learners and you're forced to try and understand what they're saying (as opposed to just putting subtitles on or blocking the music out)
- if you do Edexcel and have access to kerboodle, there are a bunch of listening practice tests on there, and it's helpful since that's the one skill that you can't really practice at home as easily
- make/find Quizlet sets with all the vocab on the specification (I'm in the process of making them for Edexcel so let me know if your school does Edexcel and I can send them your way!)
- learn some good phrases: idioms, subjunctive, good conjunctions (eg neanmoins, pourtant and ainsi que) - you don't even have to understand them grammatically as long as you know how to use them
- practice little and often
- get to grips with grammar! Make sure you have a solid understanding of the main tenses (near future, perfect, imperfect and present are the most important, but for those higher grades, conditional, pluperfect and simple future are good to know. Subjunctive - not technically a tense but that gets complicated! - can be helpful but you're better just to learn some set phrases than worrying about how to form it, especially since it's difficult to know when it should be used)

hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by apolaroidofus
Hi, I'm working at a grade 9 in French and here are my main tips:

- listen to podcasts (my favourite is Coffee Break French)! In my opinion, they're the best way to practice listening since it gets you listening to the language but unlike music/TV shows, the vocab used will be more relevant as they are geared to language learners and you're forced to try and understand what they're saying (as opposed to just putting subtitles on or blocking the music out)
- if you do Edexcel and have access to kerboodle, there are a bunch of listening practice tests on there, and it's helpful since that's the one skill that you can't really practice at home as easily
- make/find Quizlet sets with all the vocab on the specification (I'm in the process of making them for Edexcel so let me know if your school does Edexcel and I can send them your way!)
- learn some good phrases: idioms, subjunctive, good conjunctions (eg neanmoins, pourtant and ainsi que) - you don't even have to understand them grammatically as long as you know how to use them
- practice little and often
- get to grips with grammar! Make sure you have a solid understanding of the main tenses (near future, perfect, imperfect and present are the most important, but for those higher grades, conditional, pluperfect and simple future are good to know. Subjunctive - not technically a tense but that gets complicated! - can be helpful but you're better just to learn some set phrases than worrying about how to form it, especially since it's difficult to know when it should be used)

hope this helps!

Yes! This does help a lot I was always cautious about podcasts but it seems like a good idea now. I clearly need to focus on grammar I don't even know what half those tenses even are. My school does AQA but thanks for the offer! Thank you very much for this reply!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sdniufheoiw
Yes! This does help a lot I was always cautious about podcasts but it seems like a good idea now. I clearly need to focus on grammar I don't even know what half those tenses even are. My school does AQA but thanks for the offer! Thank you very much for this reply!

Ahahah I wouldn't worry too much about it now since you're only in year 9 (most of them you'll get taught as you go along and you just tend to pick them up as you practice them) but if you're looking for a good way to learn them, CGP do some brilliant grammar workbooks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by apolaroidofus
Ahahah I wouldn't worry too much about it now since you're only in year 9 (most of them you'll get taught as you go along and you just tend to pick them up as you practice them) but if you're looking for a good way to learn them, CGP do some brilliant grammar workbooks :smile:

Yes true, I'm ordering some CGP French books I was just looking at them they have pretty good reviews. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest