The Student Room Group

Applying to UK University as a foreigner

Hello,
first of all, thanks for taking your time to read this.
I'm a French ex-student, I studied 3 years in Paris and dropped out with nothing completed due to personal reasons.
I'm 22 and I've been working since then, my question would be :

I'd like to apply to an university in UK through UCAS. But I do not have any knowledge about if my french baccalaureat ( A-Level equivalent ) would be able to work.
Moreover, I saw on UCAS that you need a referee, but as I dropped out of University and been many years since high schools, I do not know who to ask ( uni teachers probably doesn't know me anymore )

Thanks for your help
Original post by hgeric62
Hello,
first of all, thanks for taking your time to read this.
I'm a French ex-student, I studied 3 years in Paris and dropped out with nothing completed due to personal reasons.
I'm 22 and I've been working since then, my question would be :

I'd like to apply to an university in UK through UCAS. But I do not have any knowledge about if my french baccalaureat ( A-Level equivalent ) would be able to work.
Moreover, I saw on UCAS that you need a referee, but as I dropped out of University and been many years since high schools, I do not know who to ask ( uni teachers probably doesn't know me anymore )

Thanks for your help

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account and I wanted to come in with some general advice.

First of all it would be worth having a look at some of the UCAS guidance for international students here: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-international-eu-students
They also have some information on choosing universities in the UK which may be of interest: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/international-and-eu-students/applying-university-international-student/ten-ways-choose-uk-university

Once you have identified some universities you are interested in it may be worth getting in contact with them to see how they would assess a French baccalaureate as it may vary between institutions and I can't find any overall advice. For a general benchmark here's how we view French qualifications: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/international/inmycountry/france/entry/

As for your referee, I would suggest just putting down whichever point of contact you would feel most comfortable with. Whether that's someone you had direct contact with at uni or someone from school you feel you would still be able to contact. High school would be acceptable if you are looking to restart studies but you can always contact the universities about this as well if you're concerned.

I really hope that some of this was a good starting point, and all the best in looking for a university!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
I think most UK unis will accept the French Bacc for undergrad entry. There willl be guidance about the grade equivalency on the course or international student webpages.

If you studied around 3 yrs ago, most unis would still want an academic reference. It's best to approach both your previous uni and prevous school/college and see if either of them can produce anything, even if it's just confirming your dates of study and that there weren't any disciplinary issues.
Reply 3
Thanks you very much, I will go ahead and do everything you adviced !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending