The Student Room Group

Grades at Uni: How do I stop beating myself up?

Hi! Random post at silly o'clock in the morning.

Long story short, I got 90% in first year and 70% in second year (second year was baaad for my mental health).

I study Linguistics with French, and French has always been really hard for me. My linguistics grades have been getting me by.

Last year, I had a French presentation - 10 minutes on a topic of your choice, 5 minutes of questions.

I worked on it for the whole term (ours were 6 weeks at the time due to Covid stuff), and I got 68 - my God, did I beat myself up about it. I was so close to a first!

I wanna preface this by saying this is not to show off, nor discredit people, or say that 68 is 'bad' by any stretch, cause its really not - but why, when I get grades that aren't a first, do I feel crap?

Any advice welcome! <3
Original post by MollyYvonne

Long story short, I got 90% in first year and 70% in second year (second year was baaad for my mental health).

I study Linguistics with French, and French has always been really hard for me. My linguistics grades have been getting me by.

Last year, I had a French presentation - 10 minutes on a topic of your choice, 5 minutes of questions.

I worked on it for the whole term (ours were 6 weeks at the time due to Covid stuff), and I got 68 - my God, did I beat myself up about it. I was so close to a first!

I wanna preface this by saying this is not to show off, nor discredit people, or say that 68 is 'bad' by any stretch, cause its really not - but why, when I get grades that aren't a first, do I feel crap?

Any advice welcome! <3

Because you want everything to be perfect, or as close as you can get?
Hi there,

The reason most of us feel sad and disappointed about bad or imperfect grades is essentially because for years our identity has beed tied to our exam performance and there was always the concern that our academics reflect our intelligence.

Therefore, it is important to remember that we are all so much more important than our grades and they do not represent our intelligence.

Additionally, your worry over bad grades could be that you set high expectations for yourself, and then see bad grades as failure.

These feelings are common but please remember that you are not a number on a scale and you are doing amazing in your academics (68 is great!!!).

Linguistics is something you're clearly good at so keep going.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Any advice welcome! <3

Hello Molly,

Firstly, wow go you for achieving such high results in all your assessments. Do not worry if your grades are have dropped slightly, there is still time to perfect them. You can only look ahead not back, so start to implement habits that'll contribute to getting higher marks. If you did it the first time, then you can do it a second time. You have got this!

All the best,

Hassa, Student Ambassador Liverpool Hope University.

Any advice welcome! <3

Hey @MollyYvonne :smile:

I also just wanted to jump on and say congratulations, you're doing absolutely amazing, and it's sooo normal to feel this way. When I was a student I only ever wanted a First in my assignments too so I can understand how you feel, but it's totally okay for grades to fluctuate, it doesn't mean we are failing or falling behind, it just means we're human and we can't always achieve everything we want. Keep going, you've totally got this, you're going to do so well in your next assignments and hopefully realise that you're doing amazing no matter what grade you come out with 🙂

Becky
Reply 5
Hi all!

A massive thank you for such supportive, caring and beautiful messages - trust me, I know that I do need to give myself credit!

All your words mean the world and it makes me really happy!

I didn't get a first in any of my assessments this term - I got (as mentioned) 68, 68, 65 and 54, all of which I felt pretty crap about. I will definitely take these words as a way to make myself feel better, and as mentioned, remind myself that I'm only human.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending