Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    But it's easier to have your own opinion than to do difficult calculations which require a lot of effort to remember in the first place...
    Haha, agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    jsut don't do a stupid subject like media studies, general studies, photography, accounting, holiday and tourism, etc. and you will be fine
    actually, media studies isn't in the "unsuitable" list for Trinity College Cambridge, it's ranked alongside Law, Government and politics A levels.

nyah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    actually, media studies isn't in the "unsuitable" list for Trinity College Cambridge, it's ranked alongside Law, Government and politics A levels.

nyah.
    Well fair enough but would you reccommend it over maths, chemistry, physics, history, english or geography for good future prospects (university included) not really no.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of so-called 'soft' subjects are filled with people playing to there strenghs and true interests, and my theory is that this is why they have more success then more traditional subjects which many (though not all) people take because they envisage it will bring them more success in the long term or because of pressure from parents.
    As for the Oxbridge soft list, they are hardly institutions which are in tune with the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack89)
    As for the Oxbridge soft list, they are hardly institutions which are in tune with the real world.
    define real world then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    define real world then
    Where old school ties don't define your success and one social club consists of more then the majority of the future conservative shadow cabinet

ReputationRep:
    History.

ReputationRep:
    History is the most elite subject there is (except for latin i suppose)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    Well fair enough but would you reccommend it over maths, chemistry, physics, history, english or geography for good future prospects (university included) not really no.
    Sure, if they enjoyed it.

Surely the strong candidate would be able to succeed in spite of one demi-suitable subject? Tlhe cambridge website says that it's perfectly acceptable to have one B list subject alongside two A list subjects, hundreds of applicants do every year. it's just the C list subjects that are said to have no relevance to the academic climate in oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok to take whatever you want. As long as you have 3AS/2A2's that are in respected subjects.

It annoys me how people only take subjects that will please their universities. You do have employment afterwards you know. That is what your going to Uni for so do what you think will help your future career! If you wanna go buy Oxbridge rules then it won't do harm to have one doss subject along with resepcted ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HereIstand)
    This sounds ridiculous surely an A in psychology looks just as good as one for biology or English language or something considered more traditional. These soft a-levels are really bugging me because I know if I take psychology and sociology and they aren't regarded as high by uni's i won't feel like putting in the work because I will be pissed it's not worth as much. Are these soft A-levels true. Can you get into oxbridge with these kinds of subjects if you get AAAA or maybe a star in there. This is really tearing me up as i don't know what to pick for my forth A-Level , please help rep for an answer that helps the most on offer.
    Psychology is not a soft subject (i wud know i did it for AS), however it cant be classed the same as Biology (which i also did for A2), Biology is much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack89)
    A lot of so-called 'soft' subjects are filled with people playing to there strenghs and true interests, and my theory is that this is why they have more success then more traditional subjects which many (though not all) people take because they envisage it will bring them more success in the long term or because of pressure from parents.
    Exactly! They might not be on a high wage like most Oxbridge graduates but they are doing what they enjoy and that makes them happy. You might have a Cambridge First class degree in History but that doesn't guarantee somebody happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    Exactly! They might not be on a high wage like most Oxbridge graduates but they are doing what they enjoy and that makes them happy. You might have a Cambridge First class degree in History but that doesn't guarantee somebody happiness.
    I think its a huge leap to suggest oxbridge students are any more or less happy than those at thames valley. But If you want to justify yourself with random comments go ahead

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.