The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ignoramus
But it's easier to have your own opinion than to do difficult calculations which require a lot of effort to remember in the first place...

Haha, agreed
Mr Nonsense
jsut don't do a stupid subject like media studies, general studies, photography, accounting, holiday and tourism, etc. and you will be fine

actually, media studies isn't in the "unsuitable" list for Trinity College Cambridge, it's ranked alongside Law, Government and politics A levels.

nyah.
screenager2004
actually, media studies isn't in the "unsuitable" list for Trinity College Cambridge, it's ranked alongside Law, Government and politics A levels.

nyah.

Well fair enough but would you reccommend it over maths, chemistry, physics, history, english or geography for good future prospects (university included) not really no.
Reply 103
A lot of so-called 'soft' subjects are filled with people playing to there strenghs and true interests, and my theory is that this is why they have more success then more traditional subjects which many (though not all) people take because they envisage it will bring them more success in the long term or because of pressure from parents.
As for the Oxbridge soft list, they are hardly institutions which are in tune with the real world.
Jack89

As for the Oxbridge soft list, they are hardly institutions which are in tune with the real world.

define real world then
Reply 105
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
define real world then

Where old school ties don't define your success and one social club consists of more then the majority of the future conservative shadow cabinet :smile:
History.
History is the most elite subject there is (except for latin i suppose)
Snobpence17
Well fair enough but would you reccommend it over maths, chemistry, physics, history, english or geography for good future prospects (university included) not really no.

Sure, if they enjoyed it.

Surely the strong candidate would be able to succeed in spite of one demi-suitable subject? Tlhe cambridge website says that it's perfectly acceptable to have one B list subject alongside two A list subjects, hundreds of applicants do every year. it's just the C list subjects that are said to have no relevance to the academic climate in oxbridge.
It's ok to take whatever you want. As long as you have 3AS/2A2's that are in respected subjects.

It annoys me how people only take subjects that will please their universities. You do have employment afterwards you know. That is what your going to Uni for so do what you think will help your future career! If you wanna go buy Oxbridge rules then it won't do harm to have one doss subject along with resepcted ones.
Reply 110
HereIstand
This sounds ridiculous surely an A in psychology looks just as good as one for biology or English language or something considered more traditional. These soft a-levels are really bugging me because I know if I take psychology and sociology and they aren't regarded as high by uni's i won't feel like putting in the work because I will be pissed it's not worth as much. Are these soft A-levels true. Can you get into oxbridge with these kinds of subjects if you get AAAA or maybe a star in there. This is really tearing me up as i don't know what to pick for my forth A-Level , please help rep for an answer that helps the most on offer. :smile:

Psychology is not a soft subject (i wud know i did it for AS), however it cant be classed the same as Biology (which i also did for A2), Biology is much harder.
Jack89
A lot of so-called 'soft' subjects are filled with people playing to there strenghs and true interests, and my theory is that this is why they have more success then more traditional subjects which many (though not all) people take because they envisage it will bring them more success in the long term or because of pressure from parents.

Exactly! They might not be on a high wage like most Oxbridge graduates but they are doing what they enjoy and that makes them happy. You might have a Cambridge First class degree in History but that doesn't guarantee somebody happiness.
Reply 112
AnthonyShock
Exactly! They might not be on a high wage like most Oxbridge graduates but they are doing what they enjoy and that makes them happy. You might have a Cambridge First class degree in History but that doesn't guarantee somebody happiness.

I think its a huge leap to suggest oxbridge students are any more or less happy than those at thames valley. But If you want to justify yourself with random comments go ahead :s-smilie:

Latest