The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

katiekatie05
Think mum earns around 17k, single parent family. Doesn't sound like a huge amount but we've no mortgage or rent or anything. Added to what I've been earning our household income has been about 30k. Now I'm a poor university student :frown:(

mum gets not even half that and she's a lone parent..
aleathiel
mum gets not even half that and she's a lone parent..

yeah, I don't see us as being bad off.. comfortable I'd say.
Reply 82
Just over 60k.

I have no idea where it goes though. :confused:
we have too much money :-( no more good interest on it fro the banks :-( asits reached all the limits at all five of them...need more lol
JustRach
Just over 60k.

I have no idea where it goes though. :confused:

awww nevermind, some have it tough, i feel it for u! xxx
Sharpshooter
Dad's a doctor consultant, I think it's around 100k as you would expect but I'm not sure.

Mum doesn't work lol.

awww nevermind, some have it tough, i feel it for u! :-( xxx
Reply 86
£70000-100000

My mum makes less than £20000, my dad makes £60000ish. They don't live together though, so my living is all from my mother's money.
Islam Rules
we have too much money :-( no more good interest on it fro the banks :-( asits reached all the limits at all five of them...need more lol

either you are lying or your parents ahve poor financial sense.

how did they make their money?
Reply 88
Not sure about post tax, but mum and stepdad bring in around 45000 apiece before tax.

It's such a joke, as my mum has been working for only 5 years, yet commands massive salaries. If I graduate, even if I get a good job at an investment bank, she'll still probably be earning more than me when she gets her latest promotion!!! Anyone remind me why I bothered going to school again?!?!
lol at nearly 12% of the forum thinking their parents earn over £150,000 after tax
All at once
lol at nearly 12% of the forum thinking their parents earn over £150,000 after tax

Very possible - this forum is full of elitist snobs who go to the best schools in the country - and they do cost a lot.
prospectivEEconomist
Very possible - this forum is full of elitist snobs who go to the best schools in the country - and they do cost a lot.

I can't see it. Earning something like £100k -£150,000 before tax would put you in something like the top 1% of earners in the country. Now, to be earning over £150k after tax, you'd have to be on a salary of what, at least ~£250k? We're now probably talking top 0.1%.

Those numbers are by no means exact, but you see where i'm coming from.

I realise TSR might have a slightly disproportionate number of people from high earning families (ie a greater number from the £40-70k salary bracket), but i somehow doubt that more than one in ten TSR users are children of CEOs, bankers, two senior doctors/lawyers, etc. Even if there are alot of people who go to expensive schools, there are other facors such as: only child, parents had children later so had built up 'school fund', inheritance money used for education, help from grandparents. Not all families who send their perhaps only child to private school are necessarily loaded.
Reply 92
Argh. I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread.

£70,001 - £100,000 32 13.06%

=(
Reply 93
about 350
Its just me and my dad and he earns £30 000 after tax

We are comfortable but by no means rich
Hi my parent makes about 15 K. That's just my dad thou. We are comfortable but not rich. I don't get EMA but my dad gets Child Benefit which then I get and that's £30 a week.
Reply 96
I only know what one of my parents earn, which is cira £350k though they are looking for a better job at the moment.
Spindle
I only know what one of my parents earn, which is cira £350k though they are looking for a better job at the moment.

Quite right. On as little as £350k, i'd be looking for a better job too.
RobbieC
Not sure about post tax, but mum and stepdad bring in around 45000 apiece before tax.

It's such a joke, as my mum has been working for only 5 years, yet commands massive salaries. If I graduate, even if I get a good job at an investment bank, she'll still probably be earning more than me when she gets her latest promotion!!! Anyone remind me why I bothered going to school again?!?!

What does your mum do to be able to demand such a high salary after 5 years?
All at once
Quite right. On as little as £350k, i'd be looking for a better job too.

the working conditions could be ******.

the working conditions i currently have are BRILLIANT. Worth at least 5k to me in salary in comaprison to my previous FT job - i.e I wouldnt go back to my old job even if I got paid 5k more than I do now - possibly even 10k and even possibly 15k and I am not joking.

the job i am currently in doesnt offer massive earning potential unless i go into management/senior management which doesnt appeal that much.

hating going to work everyday would destroy me in the long run.

Latest

Trending

Trending