The Student Room Group

Student finance with a child, living away from home or at home?

Hi, I am 24 years old, have a child and live with my partner. Does this mean I am classed as living ‘away from home’ (as I don’t live with my parents?) or ‘at home’ on my student finance? I am slightly confused. Am I classed as a independent student? I did apply for SF in 2021 and was classed as ‘living away from home’ but this was before I had my daughter.
Hi caitlingraham,

As you have a child dependent, you are automatically classed as an independent student however, you should select 'elsewhere/away from home' on your application, as you are not living with your parents throughout your study.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Thank you for this response that is great. I also have a question regarding student finance. I will be applying for 2024. As my loan will be based on my partners income from tax year 22/23 which he earnt and approx 12k, but in this current tax year he will be earning around 15% less than tax year 22/23. Is it possible to get a current year income assessment so therefore we may be entitled to a higher childcare grant? Do I do this after we have submitted 22/23 details?
Original post by caitlingraham
Thank you for this response that is great. I also have a question regarding student finance. I will be applying for 2024. As my loan will be based on my partners income from tax year 22/23 which he earnt and approx 12k, but in this current tax year he will be earning around 15% less than tax year 22/23. Is it possible to get a current year income assessment so therefore we may be entitled to a higher childcare grant? Do I do this after we have submitted 22/23 details?

Hi there,

He would still declare his 21/22 figures but can also send us a CYI form with his estimated income for the 23/24 tax year. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642ea04dfbe620000f17ddde/sfe_cyi_form_2324_o.pdf I've enclosed the form above. We'll then contact him once the tax year ends asking him to complete a PR2 form (which we'll email him) along with evidence of his actual income for 23/24. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

He would still declare his 21/22 figures but can also send us a CYI form with his estimated income for the 23/24 tax year. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642ea04dfbe620000f17ddde/sfe_cyi_form_2324_o.pdf I've enclosed the form above. We'll then contact him once the tax year ends asking him to complete a PR2 form (which we'll email him) along with evidence of his actual income for 23/24. Thanks, Jason

Hi, thanks for this. Last question, we are trying to work out our eligibility for childcare grant & parental learning allowance. I have spoken to uni and as I am under 25 and have a child, apparently sfe will need to determine who my daughter is mainly financially dependant on and will compare mine and my partners income. Apparently my income will include my maintenance loan, any grants, child benefit (as its in my name), the LSF grant (although been told this isnt the case?). Is this right? My maintenance loan is going to be around £10,850 (max+long course) per year, £1,200 child benefit a year, £1,915 parents allowance = £14,000 per year income. Unless the 7k nhs grant is also considered, then roughly around 21k. My partners income is around 12,400. I need to know roughly how the childcare grant is calculated and who’s income it will depend on and how much roughly sfe are going to pay towards childcare. This is going to cause a massive impact on wether I am going to be able to start the course due to childcare fee’s. Any response or help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Hi, thanks for this. Last question, we are trying to work out our eligibility for childcare grant & parental learning allowance. I have spoken to uni and as I am under 25 and have a child, apparently sfe will need to determine who my daughter is mainly financially dependant on and will compare mine and my partners income. Apparently my income will include my maintenance loan, any grants, child benefit (as its in my name), the LSF grant (although been told this isnt the case?). Is this right? My maintenance loan is going to be around £10,850 (max+long course) per year, £1,200 child benefit a year, £1,915 parents allowance = £14,000 per year income. Unless the 7k nhs grant is also considered, then roughly around 21k. My partners income is around 12,400. I need to know roughly how the childcare grant is calculated and who’s income it will depend on and how much roughly sfe are going to pay towards childcare. This is going to cause a massive impact on wether I am going to be able to start the course due to childcare fee’s. Any response or help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi caitlingraham,

We don't take a student's own income into account when assessing their eligibility for grants or a maintenance loan. If you are married or part of a cohabiting couple as long as you have a Child Benefit Letter in you or your partner's name this should be sufficient evidence to prove that your child is dependent on you.

For reference, if you have one child the upper income threshold for the 23/24 academic year to receive the maximum Childcare Grant is £19,549.19 - so if your partner's income is lower than this you will be eligible for the maximum Childcare Grant entitlement

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 6
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi caitlingraham,

We don't take a student's own income into account when assessing their eligibility for grants or a maintenance loan. If you are married or part of a cohabiting couple as long as you have a Child Benefit Letter in you or your partner's name this should be sufficient evidence to prove that your child is dependent on you.

For reference, if you have one child the upper income threshold for the 23/24 academic year to receive the maximum Childcare Grant is £19,549.19 - so if your partner's income is lower than this you will be eligible for the maximum Childcare Grant entitlement

Thanks,
Calum

Hi, great. Thanks for this. Hopefully that means I would be entitled to the maximum then as he earns way below this. This is still the case even though I am under 25 (23 currently)? For some reason, my university student money service seemed to think SFE needed to decide on wether they go of my income or my partners. Is this the same for parents learning allowance?
Hi caitlingraham,

For the household income we would always use your sponsor's income which in your case would be your partner, this is the same for Parents' Learning Allowance

Thanks,
Calum
Hi, I have just applied for student finance under the circumstances that I am under 25, have a child and live with my partner. The application did not ask for my partners email to put in his evidence of income but it did ask for 'to give the total estimated income after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions in academic year 2024/25' for us both. Does this mean that the childcare grant and maintenance loan will not be based of 2022-2023 tax year?
Hi, I have just applied for student finance under the circumstances that I am under 25, have a child and live with my partner. The application did not ask for my partners email to put in his evidence of income but it did ask for 'to give the total estimated income after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions in academic year 2024/25' for us both. Does this mean that the childcare grant and maintenance loan will not be based of 2022-2023 tax year?
Hi Caitlin,

It will be the 22/23 tax year that we use for 24/25 applications. It's likely just asking you to confirm any unearned income for that tax year. If you want us to check this and for any other queries we can assist via the live chat in your account or on 0300 100 0607. Thanks, Jason
Hi, thats for the confirmation. I have made a mistake and inserted his actual earned income from employment in this box. I have wrote a word document and uploaded it as evidence explaining that this is a mistake. Will you look at that and delete this mistake or do i need to cancel the application and reapply? I’ve also not inputted my partners email anywhere to insert his income ect and he has not received an email to upload his evidence. How does he do this?
Hi, thats for the confirmation. I have made a mistake and inserted his actual earned income from employment in this box. I have wrote a word document and uploaded it as evidence explaining that this is a mistake. Will you look at that and delete this mistake or do i need to cancel the application and reapply? I’ve also not inputted my partners email anywhere to insert his income ect and he has not received an email to upload his evidence. How does he do this?
If you have uploaded a cover letter advising this was an error it will be reviewed accordingly. If he's not supported your application yet and the course begins in September 2024. He can complete and upload the form below instead:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65afcca870218e000cb41f9a/sfe_pff2_form_2425_o.pdf Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending