The Student Room Group

Accidentally plugged phone into laptop charger, will it be okay?

do you think it has done any long term damage and will I find problems with my phone?

I fully charged it from 0% to 100%... and left it for a few hours, I have an S8.
Original post by mxxnal
do you think it has done any long term damage and will I find problems with my phone?

I fully charged it from 0% to 100%... and left it for a few hours, I have an S8.

One of the main reasons behind USB C becoming a universal standard is to make things like chargers more universal and interchangeable. Companies literally market their charging bricks on the value of being able to charge laptops and phones, often simultaneously.
(edited 3 years ago)
Depends on the difference in amps they both throw out and the max the phone can take or if it has a protection.

I think they mean in terms of over-wattage - not sure though.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Depends on the difference in amps they both throw out and the max the phone can take or if it has a protection.

I know, my point was that part of the universality of USB standards generally allows for the safe use of different chargers with higher wattages.
Reply 4

That's very unlikely (if not impossible). Phones are designed to only 'accept' as much power as they can take. Using, for example, a 61W MacBook Pro USB-C charger with a Samsung Galaxy S8 (which comes with a 25W charger out of the box) isn't going to do any damage.
Original post by dznnyk
That's very unlikely (if not impossible). Phones are designed to only 'accept' as much power as they can take. Using, for example, a 61W MacBook Pro USB-C charger with a Samsung Galaxy S8 (which comes with a 25W charger out of the box) isn't going to do any damage.

Right... But I'm sure we can both agree this is not the best practice. :erm:
Right... But I'm sure we can both agree this is not the best practice. :erm:

Nope, there is no disadvantage or risk to using a charger with higher wattage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending