The Student Room Group

Lancaster University vs Warwick Business Scool - MSc

I need help choosing universities. I applied to LU for MSc Quantitative Finance, and WBS for MSc Mathematical Finance.

Initially, WBS was my first choice. However, now I'm reconsidering as they sent me an offer for MSc Business & Finance. Which is slightly disappointing, but I'm open to studying it as well.
My offer from LU also came with a scholarship of £8000.

As of now, I have 4 days left to respond.

The facts I have to consider:
LU:
- I'll be studying what I want - (finance with mathematics components)
- Half the price (£15,000)
- Will also study programming (something firms like and something important)
- A good school locally, but not as good as WBS in terms of reputation globally.
- Nicer campus (apparently)
WBS:
- Better global reputation, better rankings (FT, Qs & TIE)
- CareersPlus Service and QTEM Masters Network Programme
- Better average salaries for graduates
- Much closer to London (where I'd like to work)
- Not getting to study programming but could easily study it through side courses etc
- Not getting to study mathematical components
- Much more expensive (£29,000)

I want to know which university will help me best in a career as a financial analyst or a quant. I also want to know whether WBS would be worth twice as much as LU.
Reply 1
Original post by mf2020
I need help choosing universities. I applied to LU for MSc Quantitative Finance, and WBS for MSc Mathematical Finance.

Initially, WBS was my first choice. However, now I'm reconsidering as they sent me an offer for MSc Business & Finance. Which is slightly disappointing, but I'm open to studying it as well.

LU:
- A good school locally, but not as good as WBS in terms of reputation globally.
WBS:
- Not getting to study programming but could easily study it through side courses etc

I want to know which university will help me best in a career as a financial analyst or a quant. I also want to know whether WBS would be worth twice as much as LU.

Hi,

I applied to the same courses as you did and got offers for both. My offer from LU came with a scholarship of £5000 but I did not get any scholarship from Warwick. Just wanted to ask why was Warwick your first choice ? I'm an international student so I am not very sure of the reputation of both universities and like you stated whether WBS would be worth it when its twice as much as LU.

Thank you for your help and which one did you end up choosing ?
Original post by mf2020

LU:
WBS:

Hi there,

This is a good place to be at! Congratulations on both your offers!

Having offers from both gives you freedom of choice. From what it seems is that you have a good list of questions and factors to consider. My suggestion would be to first prioritize the course, you will spend your next year investing both your time and money on your masters. So have a look at the course, the module outline and identify what the similarities and difference there are in the topics covered, and what you believe to be more interesting to you.

In terms of ranking, both Lancaster (top 8 in the UK) and Warwick rank highly (Top 11 in the UK) Source: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings.

Also, I see you have identified being close to London as an important factor - on the train, Lancaster is less an 3 hours, and Warwick is 1 hour 40 mins. Other factors, such as campus/location are also important in determining which you prefer, so ask your self what type of university experience you would prefer. Speaking on behalf of Lancaster we offer our close-knit campus, the college system, and the financial support for your studies.

Whatever decision you make - Good luck and congrats! Let me know if you have any questions regarding Lancaster.

Thanks, Ishani

Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by coleyxx
Hi,

I applied to the same courses as you did and got offers for both. My offer from LU came with a scholarship of £5000 but I did not get any scholarship from Warwick. Just wanted to ask why was Warwick your first choice ? I'm an international student so I am not very sure of the reputation of both universities and like you stated whether WBS would be worth it when its twice as much as LU.

Thank you for your help and which one did you end up choosing ?

Hi,
I'm sure this is too late now, but I ended up waiting out a year due to COVID. The reason I had Warwick as my first choice is that it's much more 'renowned' globally - albeit both universities do have a solid reputation nonetheless. But yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending