The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Advice on accommodation - University of Bath

I will be starting a postgraduate course at the Uni of Bath this fall and I am searching for accommodation. Can anyone give me honest reviews of the popular areas? In particular, I am attracted to renting a room in Twerton (close to High Street) because it is cheap and there are lots of shops around. However, in my conversation with some landlords (whose properties are not in Twerton), they say Twerton isn't the safest area to live. Some also say Whiteway and Southdown are worse. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share their experiences living in different areas of Bath during their studies.
(P.S. I am Asian. I think verbal insults/ aggressive teenagers on bicycles are endurable but not stabbings/ robberies)
Original post by Anonymous
I will be starting a postgraduate course at the Uni of Bath this fall and I am searching for accommodation. Can anyone give me honest reviews of the popular areas? In particular, I am attracted to renting a room in Twerton (close to High Street) because it is cheap and there are lots of shops around. However, in my conversation with some landlords (whose properties are not in Twerton), they say Twerton isn't the safest area to live. Some also say Whiteway and Southdown are worse. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share their experiences living in different areas of Bath during their studies.
(P.S. I am Asian. I think verbal insults/ aggressive teenagers on bicycles are endurable but not stabbings/ robberies)

Hi there,

Most Uni of Bath students live in and around Oldfield park, whereas Twerton is where Bath Spa students tend to live.

Oldfield is walking distance to the city centre (typically a 10-20 minute walk, but can be shorter or longer depending on how far into Oldfield you live), and is good for Uni of Bath as it has lots of bus stops served by the uni bus services. Oldfield has a lot of nice bars, shops, restaurants etc as it is a more suburban are with mostly students and families. Twerton probably does has some shops etc, but it isn't as well kitted-out as Oldfield. There's a Lidl, Hobbycraft and McDonalds, but other than that there isn't a huge amount there. All in all, Oldfield is just a much nicer place to live as it's nicer aesthetically, has nicer shops, bars etc and better links to the city centre and uni campus. Twerton is more suitable for Bath Spa students as their university is further out of the city centre.

Cost
Oldfield is generally more expensive than Twerton. I'd say most people pay around £450-550 per month in Oldfield, which is a bit more expensive than Twerton. HOWEVER, you are obviously paying for the convenience of being nearer the city, the better bus links, and more to do. Twerton is further out in a not-as-nice area, with not a lot to do.

Basically, Uni of Bath students tend to live in Oldfield as it's just a lot better and more convenient for Bath students, whereas Twerton is a bit of a trek away from the city centre, and it isn't as nice. However, some Uni of Bath students do end up living in Twerton as it is a bit cheaper, but you can definitely find houses in Oldfield that are the same/similar price to Twerton.

In terms of safety, Bath is ranked as one of the safest university cities in the UK. I'd say that for male students it is generally pretty safe, but for female students there is obviously stuff like catcalling and odd men harassing you (but this is, unfortunately, the case everywhere). As Twerton and Southdown are generally not as nice and not as well-off areas, there tends to be a bit more crime there, but I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about as Bath is a very safe city.

I hope this has helped a bit,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Anonymous

Hiya, I hope you are well :smile:

At The Depot, Student Roost (private accommodation) we offer self-contained en-suite studios just 10 mins away from both unis and the city centre with a bus stop right outside our building. The building itself is very secure - we have CCTVs outside and inside, so you do feel safe in your studio and we're located in a residential area with a school nearby. Also, we have staff on site 24/7 day and night, so should you have any questions or issues then you can always go down to the reception and have a chat.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please let me know :smile:
Klaudia

Quick Reply

Latest