The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

TV In Self-Catered?

I'm abit undecided as to whether I'll bring my TV with me as I would require a licence which is about £130.

My question is: Are there TVs in Hermit's Croft or Self-Catered accommodation in general that are for communal purposes, I've read quite a few pages of stuff on the website but can't find it at the moment (possibly because it is quite late and I'm tired).

So if anyone could lend some light on the situation as I'm not fantastically keen to purchase a TV license as you might imagine.

Cheers!
No.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
michaelnicholson88
No.

Cheers Michael :smile:
Put your TV in your flat's kitchen and split the license cost between you and your flatmates?
But if you're going to do that, wait and see what your flatmates say! They might not appreciate suddenly being told to pay 1/x of the license fee, or feeling pressured into paying as the only one who doesn't want to.
michaelnicholson88
But if you're going to do that, wait and see what your flatmates say! They might not appreciate suddenly being told to pay 1/x of the license fee, or feeling pressured into paying as the only one who doesn't want to.

/me defers to teh nicholson.

Of course, I meant to say what Michael said :wink:
Grum Fox
Why not... Don't bother getting a license, and put your TV away/under a box, etc once you've finished with it.

No point in paying for the BBC's unionist ****e!

Oh grow up. He asked a simple question and obviously has the morals to want to obey the law; there's no need to bring up a political argument here in an apolitical discussion- there's a Debates and Discussion forum for that.
I'm in touch with 2 of my future flatmates (Sciennes place) through facebook, and between the 3 of us I think we've decided to have a TV in the kitchen area. See if you can find your flatmates before you go? It's also been really useful for coordinating who buys what in terms of kitchen stuff.
Reply 8
bruisepristine
I'm in touch with 2 of my future flatmates (Sciennes place) through facebook, and between the 3 of us I think we've decided to have a TV in the kitchen area. See if you can find your flatmates before you go? It's also been really useful for coordinating who buys what in terms of kitchen stuff.

I'll give it a go I already know one of my flatmates, Facebook is an evil creation though :p:
Reply 9
:d
Reply 10
sharkytt
:d

you gunna make the facebook group, im pretty certain you know more about it than I do mate :p:
Reply 11
i would bring a tv, depending how big it is - worst comes to worst you don't get a tv license you can still watch dvds etc on it play games.
I know i lived in fraser court last year and i didnt bring my giant tv up until semester two, and the complete change in atmosphere in the kitchen was amazing.
I went from being somewhere i cooked and sometimes ate to being to place everyone comes round to.
sunday morning hungover shipwrecked was just epic!

{edit}

And to add i know last year i got hundreds of letters from the licensing company saying they were going to come round and check etc risk of £1000 fine if your unlicensed i didnt get or hear of a single visit. (i'm not going to disclose whether i opted for a license but you can make your own interpretation)
but if theres four of you in a flat its only going to cost 30 odd pounds. Thats like one night out :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending