The Student Room Group

Nervous about college

Is anyone else nervous about going to a completely different college in september?
I have done a year at sixth form and am leaving to go to the local college instead. (long story)
I suppose i will be a year older than most people in my class but i cant help but feeling a bit scared about it :s-smilie:
I just feel really really nervous about not knowing anyone.
What normally happens at the start of the college year to get to know everyone else? Because i suppose everyone is in the same boat and wont know anyone.

Advice would be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Normally at the start of the year the year 13's grab your head and flush it in the toilet. Then, they make you give them your EMA every week :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Wannabe
everyone is in the same boat and wont know anyone.

you've just answered your own query; making friends is easy when you're all in the same boat, as you said.

enjoy yourself and look forward to the new experience! :smile:
I don't know how i made my 'new' friends at college. I suppose just after a while everyone in your class gets to know you and you all generally get on. It's just a familiarality thing i suppose.
Reply 4
Lmfao!! like that happens anymore! how many times was i told that before i had my AS year! haha
OMG dont get me started on EMA!

I'm not that nervous, just that little thought in the back of my mind, thats all :s-smilie:
Don't be nervous! I left my secondary school and went to a new sixth form and i was really nervous but somehow you do make friends and things just fit in i suppose, well those 2 years were great, now i have this whole nervous about uni thing lol.
But anyway good luck! :smile: Just be yourself and be confident, think positive! :smile:
Reply 6
It'll be fine. :smile: The fact that you're older will be a talking point for most people; a couple of kids in my year are meant to be in the year above and they've got loooaaddss of friends.
Reply 7
Made friends with those sitting next to me in my class heh.

So, sit next to the good looking girl and the guy who looks like he's funny.

Good times ahead.
Reply 8
I remember when I started computing at AS, not only was it boring.. but it was full of guys, and most of them were the kind of greasy nerd (literally, greasy, like mcdonalds) except a few.

..I'm so glad I dropped that.
slightly yes....
I wouldn't worry about being older - most people probably won't notice. And if they do, you'll probably find you'll have a lot of friends (after all, you'll be old enough to buy alcohol, and they won't be!).

Seriously though, everyone will want to make new friends. If you have a tutor group, go up to people, introduce yourself and ask them what subjects they're taking. It's always a good way to start a conversation.

Good luck.
Reply 11
Wannabe
Is anyone else nervous about going to a completely different college in september?
I have done a year at sixth form and am leaving to go to the local college instead. (long story)
I suppose i will be a year older than most people in my class but i cant help but feeling a bit scared about it :s-smilie:
I just feel really really nervous about not knowing anyone.
What normally happens at the start of the college year to get to know everyone else? Because i suppose everyone is in the same boat and wont know anyone.

Advice would be appreciated

hey im doing exactly the same thing as you are lol. im also a bit scared but i guess like you say everyone is sin the same boat :smile:
Reply 12
Dont worry, I'll be 2 or 3 years older than most other students in my class (which I start today!) and Im ****ting myself!

Everyone's a bit nervous and plus, lots change groups they hang out with so you might not talk to the people you made friends with on the first day.
Reply 13
I joined college not knowing anyone really - I had met a few people a month or so before term started, but they weren't doing any of the same subjects as me.
Friendships can form very quickly at college, and everyone - even those who come with others - are looking for new friends. My advice is to be sociable, friendly, and never turn down an opportunity/occasion.
You'll be fine!
Reply 14
hellojess
It'll be fine. :smile: The fact that you're older will be a talking point for most people; a couple of kids in my year are meant to be in the year above and they've got loooaaddss of friends.

yeah exactly, such talking points always help - and this isn't a cumbersome one either! (like what subjects...)
I have to start a new college on the 10th, but i'm only 16 and I find it easier to get on with people younger than me so i'm really nervous about making friends etc :frown: But I agree with the fact that everyone is in the same boat so it's easier :smile:
Yeah, I'm slightly nervous too, but everyone’s going to be going through the same if their new to the college. You’ll soon meet people and get settled. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 17
Depends what course your doing at the college, if your doing a BTEC course you'll have friends in no time, i knew no one in my class and now we are all close mates coming into the start of the 2nd year, cos your in class all the time together.

If your doing A Levels in college, i think it's harder than a BTEC class.

Latest

Trending

Trending