The Student Room Group

Law with business yes or no??

Hey guys, recently I’ve been drawn to opting for a law with business degree(LLB), the problem is few universities offer it and not the best one so if anyone’s done this degree could u please reach out. also some general questions I have is this a good degree to go for ? Are the following good university options :-Queen Mary (RG)
Uni of Birmingham (RG) (Gold TEF)
Uni of Liverpool (RG)
Exter (RG)(Gold TEF)
Uni of Portsmouth (GOLD TEF )
Nottingham Trent (GOLD TEF)
Essex (GOLD TEF)
Does the Gold TEF make a difference ? The three non-RG unis especially Portsmouth looked appealing, I’m really confused I don’t know what to do if I’ll regret the degree and the uni. What uni is the best out of these ? Please help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Wouldn’t recommend Portsmouth as the city is junk. Saying this as a former Portsmouth student.
Nottingham Trent is also not very good.

My advice is to look at the modules in each course, check which one you think you will enjoy the most. Check for internships and support provided by the University. Also check the University, campus, facilities, accommodations, connections, etc, you will have to live there for a few years.

RG is not necessarily a guaranty of quality. TEF gold is a good indication that the these Universities are investing in teaching and making it a priority. Also, you can have a look at the University ranking for Law: https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2020/law-legal-studies
I was under the impression that the TEF was a bad measure...perhaps I misunderstood? Can someone confirm/deny?

Anyway, there's quite a bit difference between a university like Portsmouth and QMUL. What are your grades like?
Oh Lord I thought that no one in their right mind used TEF

Right now the TEF is only at UNIVERSITY LEVEL. So any data used is for courses that have nothing to do with law that have nothing to do with law. Looking at TEF is basically the equivalent of asking a Chemistry and Ancient History student about whether they found their courses to be decent

From UCAS: "For 2020 entry, TEF ratings are allocated at university or college-level, and not to a specific course or subject. The Office for Students (OfS) expects to publish details about the future TEF exercise, following the conclusion of the independent review of the TEF later this year." - https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-resources-and-training/guides-and-resources/guide-teaching-excellence-framework-tef

TEF is a pretty awful metric just looking at it from a stats basis. If you want raw figures, https://discoveruni.gov.uk/ should be your go to (you can request historical data from the university as well). The only extra thing you're getting with TEF is some dumb contextualisation that mixes up causation and correlation (does BAME cause you to have different expectations about your course? does being BAME make you easier to please, or more difficult to please? etc). In doing so, it eliminates the one thing that is vital for anyone with common sense: THE COURSE LEVEL DATA

Original post by Famma
Hey guys, recently I’ve been drawn to opting for a law with business degree(LLB), the problem is few universities offer it and not the best one so if anyone’s done this degree could u please reach out. also some general questions I have is this a good degree to go for ? Are the following good university options :-Queen Mary (RG)
Uni of Birmingham (RG) (Gold TEF)
Uni of Liverpool (RG)
Exter (RG)(Gold TEF)
Uni of Portsmouth (GOLD TEF )
Nottingham Trent (GOLD TEF)
Essex (GOLD TEF)
Does the Gold TEF make a difference ? The three non-RG unis especially Portsmouth looked appealing, I’m really confused I don’t know what to do if I’ll regret the degree and the uni. What uni is the best out of these ? Please help.

Going to a shithole irrelevant uni like Portsmouth, if you have the grades for Exeter, QMUL, Brum, etc. is possibly the worst choice you can make. This is not an RG vs non RG thing. It's a 'do you want to hang out with unemployable mediocre students for three + years and get zero non-local employers engage with you during that time' thing. It's a 'do you actually want a remotely challenging course' thing. etc. It's a question of whether you want to be taught by someone who is regurgating from a textbook and probably isn't very bright themselves versus someone who walked out of a top RG with a First, has a PhD under a well-known supervisor, and understands the area decently well (this is a prerequisite to being published). Nothing to do with snobbery, prestige.

Far too much emphasis is put on student satisfaction. It's very easy to please a Portsmouth student by teaching them some material (not too much, not too hard, make sure there's plenty of time for repetition), giving them a nice easy mix of assessed presentations and coursework, and generally not pushing them to do much. It's honestly tragic how people like Famma fall for this. As if the average Portsmouth student has anything in common (quality of education wise, background wise, expectation wise) with the average QMUL or Exeter law student. Not defending the abysmal teaching practices at the lateral, either. I went to a bog standard RG with overpacked lectures and 25 people in each class. But to compare the needs, demanding-ness, etc. of the likes of NTU and Portsmouth to the RGs is like comparing apples to oranges...
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fprischi

My advice is to look at the modules in each course, check which one you think you will enjoy the most. Check for internships and support provided by the University. Also check the University, campus, facilities, accommodations, connections, etc, you will have to live there for a few years.

RG is not necessarily a guaranty of quality. TEF gold is a good indication that the these Universities are investing in teaching and making it a priority. Also, you can have a look at the University ranking for Law: https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2020/law-legal-studies

Using QS is pretty dumb. All league tables have their issues but QS is a glorified reputation survey. Doesn't tell you much other than that a few 'top' law faculties have large and well known law departments with plenty of top researchers. Once you move away from the truly world-class faculties and onto the Birminghams, Liverpools, etc, the QS ranking loses its ability to discern between the 'very good' and the 'good', the good and the mediocre, etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah knowing about the modules is so important to get an idea of whether you will enjoy it or not. If you want to know more about specific law units at university (and the compulsory ones), i found this podcast that I've found quite helpful. I reckon it will help give you an insight. Their second video talks about what an LLB is, what a qualifying law degree is and the units you have to study for law. Plus, it's timestamped so you can just skip to specific units if you want.
Original post by fprischi

Yeah knowing about the modules is so important to get an idea of whether you will enjoy it or not. If you want to know more about specific law units at university (and the compulsory ones), i found this podcast that I've found quite helpful. I reckon it will help give you an insight. Their second video talks about what an LLB is, what a qualifying law degree is and the units you have to study for law. Plus, it's timestamped so you can just skip to specific units if you want.
Original post by Bangout_Proo

The name of the podcast: The Student Perspective (search a specifc video name if you cant find them 'Will You Enjoy Studying a Law Degree? - First Year Modules')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending