The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance applying to Oxford's OMMS?

I have just finished a BSc in Mathematics at the University of Warwick - due to COVID, I have decided to take a year out before applying to MSc programmes in Mathematics/Statistics. I really like the look of Oxford's OMMS and I really feel like it is a course that I would succeed on and I know exactly which modules I would take.

My performance in my first 2 years weren't great at all (mid 50s), so initially I had no intention of thinking about Oxford - one of the main reasons for this was the fact that I still treated university like I was still doing my A-Levels. However I learnt from my mistakes, worked hard, read around the subject (more than whatever lecturers actually lectured), answered as many questions as I possibly good and got a good first in my final year, with very strong module results in maths modules. I am confident that I will get good references - I was wondering if anyone might be able to give some advice/perspective on my application? Do I have a chance? Also, would coming from Warwick help my application, due to its reputation?

What kind of things should I put in my personal statement - should I talk about the projects and background reading that I've done in my spare time? Furthermore, should I explain my poor module results in my first 2 years?

Thanks!
Reply 1
I'm entering the 3rd year of my BSc Math at KCL and im also planning to apply for the MSc at Oxford this year.

I think it'll be slightly tough given your first 2 year results but its worth a shot. Most applicants are probably going to have 80+ averages throughout their degree. What were your marks like in your final year?

- Admissions want to see that you've (at least roughly) planned your route on the OMMS, i.e what modules you will pick, and that you've done well on the pre-requisite modules in your BSc.
- Coming from Warwick is a good thing, but I think thats mainly because it shows you've studied on a programme which exposes you to a level of mathematical rigour which is required to succeed on a programme like OMMS.
- w.r.t personal statements, they only really care about your academics. If those projects are related to math then sure put them in. Main thing is conveying your reasons for studying on the OMMS, what you plan to do on it module-wise and that you can cope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending