The Student Room Group

Language degree

Next year i have to choose my degree and since i'm fascinated in languages i was thinking about attending it. I'm wondering whether a degree in laguages could be vain in the u.k since I've decided to move there or is it more useful to study others departments. thank you
What do you mean by vain? If you mean would it be useful, yes 100%. Learning a language is becoming a commodity especially for big businesses as they’re dieing out. You also get to study abroad which, from personal experience, is such an amazing experience. I couldn’t recommend studying a language enough.
Original post by alessssiia
Next year i have to choose my degree and since i'm fascinated in languages i was thinking about attending it. I'm wondering whether a degree in laguages could be vain in the u.k since I've decided to move there or is it more useful to study others departments. thank you

Which language were you thinking of? Or were you thinking of a course like Communication or Linguistics?
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Which language were you thinking of? Or were you thinking of a course like Communication or Linguistics

i was thinking about a linguistics course of English and Chinese or French because i like European languages better
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by alessssiia
i was thinking about a linguistics course of English and Chinese or French because i like European languages better

There are lots of English language/linguistics course throughout the UK (some with and some without other languages as joint honours), so I'm sure you'll find a course that suits your interests. :smile:
Bear in mind in the UK degrees called "English language" aren't usually language learning degrees, but courses in essentially applied English linguistics (sometimes they will also have aspects of communications/creative writing as well). Some will include English philology proper e.g. at Oxford, where you'll learn middle or Old English in first year, and may continue with both thereafter. Thus they're a bit different from modern foreign languages courses like French or German in the UK, where you will be learning the language as well as about the culture, literature, history, etc, of that country (and others that speak the language).

In general terms languages degrees aren't inherently better or worse than any other degree subject as far as generic concepts of "employability" go, because as with any degree the main determining factor in your employability as a graduate will not be your degree subject (or which uni you studied at), but in the depth and breadth of the work experience you undertook during the course. Simply graduating without having done a single internship/placement/period of work experience/etc will make you a fairly unappealing prospect to employers, no matter where or what you studied.

Language degrees do however offer, in the longer term, the potential benefit of having learned a foreign language up to a given level, and also evidencing language learning ability generally, which may make you more able to work internationally. That flexibility may give you additional options later in your career that others without that background wouldn't be able to pursue, and may also make you a more appealing prospect for some roles initially where language experience is beneficial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending