My May 2020 IB grade is the following:

maths HL 5
Physics HL 7
English HL 6
Chemistry SL 5
French SL 5
History SL 6
Core 2

I have already decided to not go through university admissions as I feel I can aim for a competitive university.

I am looking towards doing Electrical and Electronic engineering, preferably at imperial or UCL.

I will also be sitting November exams (if it goes on) for maths chem French and history in an effort to get a total of 42 points (6 in French). However if it gets cancelled, I would have to take it in May which means I would have to apply for the 2022-23 year. This would also mean I could apply to oxbridge, something I cannot do even if i take November exams (UCAS deadline October). Seeing as I would have worst case 2 gap years I'm thinking of taking on an internship at an engineering company whilst immersing myself in the subject through reading. My question is on if these plans are the right way to do it or more importantly, whether they seem sensible enough.
Original post by GreatMan678
My May 2020 IB grade is the following:

maths HL 5
Physics HL 7
English HL 6
Chemistry SL 5
French SL 5
History SL 6
Core 2

I have already decided to not go through university admissions as I feel I can aim for a competitive university.

I am looking towards doing Electrical and Electronic engineering, preferably at imperial or UCL.

I will also be sitting November exams (if it goes on) for maths chem French and history in an effort to get a total of 42 points (6 in French). However if it gets cancelled, I would have to take it in May which means I would have to apply for the 2022-23 year. This would also mean I could apply to oxbridge, something I cannot do even if i take November exams (UCAS deadline October). Seeing as I would have worst case 2 gap years I'm thinking of taking on an internship at an engineering company whilst immersing myself in the subject through reading. My question is on if these plans are the right way to do it or more importantly, whether they seem sensible enough.

I'm just wondering what's stopping you from making an application and setting the qualifications you don't have results for as pending?
This would mean you could apply to Oxbridge this year and if you only had the May exam sitting you'd still be able to access university from September 2021. Unless I've missed something I'm slightly wondering why you can't do that? :curious:
Original post by 04MR17
I'm just wondering what's stopping you from making an application and setting the qualifications you don't have results for as pending?
This would mean you could apply to Oxbridge this year and if you only had the May exam sitting you'd still be able to access university from September 2021. Unless I've missed something I'm slightly wondering why you can't do that? :curious:

They would have to make some pretty big gains in their scores, e.g. for Oxbridge they would need 7 in Maths HL plus 2 other points elsewhere, and they would need to contact Oxbridge about whether these would count as resits and whether their reasoning for needing them is sufficient.
Original post by Helloworld_95
They would have to make some pretty big gains in their scores, e.g. for Oxbridge they would need 7 in Maths HL plus 2 other points elsewhere, and they would need to contact Oxbridge about whether these would count as resits and whether their reasoning for needing them is sufficient.

The Autumn series doesn't count as a resit, and while I'm not that familiar with IB grading the question of whether they should or shouldn't be applying with those grades wasn't asked - hence why I didn't expand on that point.
Hi,

I forgot to mention this as well. The Remark deadline is on 15th September. Now seeing how the IB have altered its grading system to essentially your IA grade, this could provide me 3 more points, maybe 4 as my TOK situation is weird. In my internal assessments,I am 1 mark off a 6 in both maths and chemistry and 2 Mark's off a 7 in history best case I could get 39 points. I would still be willing to take exams but at least this would provide a good safety net if November exams are unfortunately cancelled.
Original post by 04MR17
The Autumn series doesn't count as a resit, and while I'm not that familiar with IB grading the question of whether they should or shouldn't be applying with those grades wasn't asked - hence why I didn't expand on that point.

Right sorry for not making it clear, What I meant to say was I am looking to apply to Imperial as my first choice but if there was a way to apply to Oxbridge, either through more points via Mark's or the pending idea, then I would be happy to do that.
Right sorry for not making it clear, What I meant to say was I am looking to apply to Imperial as my first choice but if there was a way to apply to Oxbridge, either through more points via Mark's or the pending idea, then I would be happy to do that.

You can apply to 5 unis when you apply to UCAS, and you don't need to put them in any order when you do - that doesn't matter at all. You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge though, only 1.

So you'd be able to apply to Imperial as well as either Oxford or Cambridge and 3 other institutions. The majority of applications made to universities are with grades still pending due to qualifications not yet achieved. :yep:
Original post by 04MR17
You can apply to 5 unis when you apply to UCAS, and you don't need to put them in any order when you do - that doesn't matter at all. You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge though, only 1.

So you'd be able to apply to Imperial as well as either Oxford or Cambridge and 3 other institutions. The majority of applications made to universities are with grades still pending due to qualifications not yet achieved. :yep:

Right so I should include the grades that I am happy with such as physics and english and leave certain subject grades as pending?
Also this is way too funny but if I do apply to Oxbridge, their admission exams are on the same day as what would be my Math and history exams for the IB. Now would they be flexible enough to sit it at a different time on the same day?
Right so I should include the grades that I am happy with such as physics and english and leave certain subject grades as pending?

No, list all qualifications you've already achieved (as you've done in the OP) and then list subjects you will not yet have grades for separately, with grade pending. :smile:
Also this is way too funny but if I do apply to Oxbridge, their admission exams are on the same day as what would be my Math and history exams for the IB. Now would they be flexible enough to sit it at a different time on the same day?

For both Oxford and Cambridge?
Contact a college you're interested in applying to and see what they say.
Original post by 04MR17
No, list all qualifications you've already achieved (as you've done in the OP) and then list subjects you will not yet have grades for separately, with grade pending. :smile:

But if I do that wouldn't they reject me immediately, especially with a 36 and a 5 in maths? Would telling them that I intend to take exams in certain subjects mean they would ignore this part?
Original post by 04MR17
For both Oxford and Cambridge?
Contact a college you're interested in applying to and see what they say.

Both. But I have emailed an oxford college to see what they say about this situation.
But if I do that wouldn't they reject me immediately, especially with a 36 and a 5 in maths? Would telling them that I intend to take exams in certain subjects mean they would ignore this part?

The second one. :yep:
Universities consider a whole application, and if it's possible that you'll get the grades they want (ie that you have pending grades at all) then you'll be considered as a serious applicant. The only way they'd reject an applicant is if they got a load of 2s but were applying to Oxford and the reference on the UCAS form offers no reasons for the low grades. Unless it's a very extreme case, all applications are considered seriously. :smile:
Both. But I have emailed an oxford college to see what they say about this situation.

Good plan. :yy:
Ok so I got encouraging news from Worcestor College.

They said they are understanding that some applicants have had their education disrupted and that I would have to list all my May 2020 subject grades on qualifications achieved and resit subjects on pending qualification. I would need new predicted grades and in the teacher reference, the context of my achieved grades must be explained and also why I am sitting the exams?

In the meantime, I am gonna send my IAs to be remarked and hopefully get 3 more points including a 6 in maths which would mean I meet the entry requirements. That way, with 39 points if exams get cancelled then at least I have met the requirement and other factors come into play.
Ok so I got encouraging news from Worcestor College.

They said they are understanding that some applicants have had their education disrupted and that I would have to list all my May 2020 subject grades on qualifications achieved and resit subjects on pending qualification. I would need new predicted grades and in the teacher reference, the context of my achieved grades must be explained and also why I am sitting the exams?

In the meantime, I am gonna send my IAs to be remarked and hopefully get 3 more points including a 6 in maths which would mean I meet the entry requirements. That way, with 39 points if exams get cancelled then at least I have met the requirement and other factors come into play.

As far as I can tell a 6 in maths and 39 overall doesn't meet the requirement for Oxford, they ask for 776 with 7s in Maths and Physics, and 40 overall.
Original post by Helloworld_95
As far as I can tell a 6 in maths and 39 overall doesn't meet the requirement for Oxford, they ask for 776 with 7s in Maths and Physics, and 40 overall.

Sorry I meant for physics.

Quick Reply

Latest