The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University is not what it seems, do not go here! Please read!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm the same, I'm about to firm my Durham offer due to the excellence for the course I want to do, and I'm definitely going with self catered as a preference due to the lower cost!

I know castle is very competitive but they have a self catered option, so I'm really hoping I get in
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Wired_1800
I honestly don't know. The Durham people that I know went to St Mary’s, Hatfield and University. They all had great times.

Apparently University is super competitive to get into, so Hatfield and St Mary’s are the two suggested options.

Thanks for your help, and I've heard great things about Mary's its a shame that it's catered or it would 100% be my first choice!
my top choice is castle, and Mary's is soon after that :smile: I'm just wondering why it's such a bad thing to tell people?

Castle is competitive, so don't put all your hopes on getting in there. Castle apparently has similar vibes to St Mary’s and Hatfield.

The Oxbridge reject tag is just a shaming term used to insult people by indirectly saying they were not good enough for Oxbridge. It makes no sense because most of those students go on to top unis like Imperial, Manchester, UCL, Durham, LSE etc. it is ridiculous because there are Imperial rejects, Manchester rejects and Durham rejects, but they don't have a bad rep.

To me, it is best not to mention it just incase the person asking is biased and could treat you the wrong way.
Thanks for your help, and I've heard great things about Mary's its a shame that it's catered or it would 100% be my first choice!

No worries. It should be your choice.

Hi, if you want a self catered accomodation it might be worth having a look at cuth's
Original post by Wired_1800
Castle is competitive, so don't put all your hopes on getting in there. Castle apparently has similar vibes to St Mary’s and Hatfield.

The Oxbridge reject tag is just a shaming term used to insult people by indirectly saying they were not good enough for Oxbridge. It makes no sense because most of those students go on to top unis like Imperial, Manchester, UCL, Durham, LSE etc. it is ridiculous because there are Imperial rejects, Manchester rejects and Durham rejects, but they don't have a bad rep.

To me, it is best not to mention it just incase the person asking is biased and could treat you the wrong way.

I won't be completely fixated on it :smile:

thanks for explaining that to me, it makes no sense to me either because there are inevitably more good candidates than spaces, I'm happy that I gave it a go instead of not applying for fear if being rejected. I even dislike the word 'reject' haha because it automatically insinuates some form of failure when in reality we can still do well. I won't mention it whenever possible
I won't be completely fixated on it :smile:

thanks for explaining that to me, it makes no sense to me either because there are inevitably more good candidates than spaces, I'm happy that I gave it a go instead of not applying for fear if being rejected. I even dislike the word 'reject' haha because it automatically insinuates some form of failure when in reality we can still do well. I won't mention it whenever possible

Exactly.

Good luck at Durham.
Hi there

I love how you are not discouraged by the 'oxbridge reject' tag going on in universities. Nobody has ever really asked me whether I'm an oxbridge reject and honestly it doesn't even come up much- once you're in Durham, there's no point talking about any other university? Plus Durham is as much a good uni as any other so I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it anyway.

Just to point out, castle and cuths do have self-catered blocks but neither of them is actually on the bailey. For Cuths, it's in Parson's Field and that of Castle is New Kepier Court I believe. Just mentioning it because some people imagine they're going to live in the actual castle but end up being accommodated in other blocks and get disappointed!

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Original post by Durham Students
Plus Durham is as much a good uni as any other so I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it anyway.

Really is quite an overrated uni unfortunately, having attended Durham as well as other (“not as prestigious unis”) I cannot comprehend how Durham is ranked/valued so highly. Course content/difficulty/facilities/experience/any metric it lags behind so many

Durham is not as good as any other unis out there….it’s worse, but people seem to be blinded by the reputation it somehow acquired….attend other universities and you’ll see it’s a bubble you’re in
Really is quite an overrated uni unfortunately, having attended Durham as well as other (“not as prestigious unis”) I cannot comprehend how Durham is ranked/valued so highly. Course content/difficulty/facilities/experience/any metric it lags behind so many

Durham is not as good as any other unis out there….it’s worse, but people seem to be blinded by the reputation it somehow acquired….attend other universities and you’ll see it’s a bubble you’re in

Hi there

I understand you might not have liked it as much as other universities but I think it's a really subjective topic. Some people might like it more, others may not but you can't really figure out what sort of experience you're going to have based on how others have felt at Durham. Plus it's not possible to attend all unis at the same time so it's really up to you what matters the most. I've liked most of the facilities during my law study at Durham. Yeah there are some drawbacks that would be better addressed but they're not enough to completely ruin my experience.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

out of curiosity which uni do you attend now?
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

I understand you might not have liked it as much as other universities but I think it's a really subjective topic. Some people might like it more, others may not but you can't really figure out what sort of experience you're going to have based on how others have felt at Durham. Plus it's not possible to attend all unis at the same time so it's really up to you what matters the most. I've liked most of the facilities during my law study at Durham. Yeah there are some drawbacks that would be better addressed but they're not enough to completely ruin my experience.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep

I can't help but thinking that the course is better at durham than other unis for my subject, but I suppose like you said everyone will have a different opinion
out of curiosity which uni do you attend now?

University of Aberdeen
Last year, the maths students had in person exams while the other departments had online exams. 23/25 of the msc maths students failed at least one exam and had to retake in the summer, while all the maths undergrads had their marks moderated. Do not go to Durham. The teaching is abysmal.
Original post by gooey99
Last year, the maths students had in person exams while the other departments had online exams. 23/25 of the msc maths students failed at least one exam and had to retake in the summer, while all the maths undergrads had their marks moderated. Do not go to Durham. The teaching is abysmal.

Wow
Original post by gooey99

I cannot empathise how accurate this post is. Horrendous Uni that trades on its’ reputation and has nothing else to show
is that not just because the course is super hard
is that not just because the course is super hard

If over 90% of the course is failing at least one of their modules, surely that is indicative of the teaching not to mention that the undergrad marks were moderated “to high hell” just so they could document a decent pass mark.

If you are admitted onto a course, it’s because the department know you are capable of being taught to pass. If everyone isn’t passing, then it’s the teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest