The Student Room Group

What should I do?

So I got my GCSE results back and got mostly 8s and 7s with one 6. I want to do Artificial intelligence at imperial. I have currently picked Maths Physics Product Design and Further Maths. Even though my school do computer science, I don’t feel confident in the subject content to do it for A Level. Would I be at a disadvantage of getting into imperial for AI degree if I did product design instead of computer science? What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Look at the course page on Imperial's website.

It will state which A level subjects are required, and should tell you if any are 'preferred' over others - if it doesnt tell you this second bit, the email Imperial and ask them.

PS. Remember that you have FIVE choices on your UCAS form. Therefore you need to check out other courses at other Unis and check what their requirements are - they wont all be the same.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Look at the course page on Imperial's website.

It will state which A level subjects are required, and should tell you if any are 'preferred' over others - if it doesnt tell you this second bit, the email Imperial and ask them.

PS. Remember that you have FIVE choices on your UCAS form. Therefore you need to check out other courses at other Unis and check what their requirements are - they wont all be the same.

All other unis for ‘computer science’ ask for just maths. However imperial (this is for a specifically AI degree) NEED maths, prefer physics computer science and further maths. I’m doing all of these, but Product Design instead of Computer science. Would I be at a disadvantage?
Can you give me the link to the course at Imperial you are talking about?
"Our minimum entry standard for 2021 entry is A*A*A overall, to include:
A* in Mathematics
A*, A in two other subjects - Further Mathematics is preferred but not essential.
Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Physics are recommended subjects"

So - you would have much more chance of an offer if you did FM.
And they are likely to favour applications from those who have done two of CS, FM or Physics.
If you do Maths, FM and Physics you have met the preferred/recommended subjects.

Drop Product Design. No University requires you to do 4 A levels, and you wont get any extra credit for doing that on top of the other 3. It doesnt look 'cleverer' - and its likely that you'll get AABB instead of A*A*A because a 4th subject is too much work. If you do Product Design instead of one of the 'CS, FM or Physics' you would reduce your changes of an offer.
Reply 6
"Our minimum entry standard for 2021 entry is A*A*A overall, to include:
A* in Mathematics
A*, A in two other subjects - Further Mathematics is preferred but not essential.
Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Physics are recommended subjects"

So - you would have much more chance of an offer if you did FM.
And they are likely to favour applications from those who have done two of CS, FM or Physics.
If you do Maths, FM and Physics you have met the preferred/recommended subjects.

Drop Product Design. No University requires you to do 4 A levels, and you wont get any extra credit for doing that on top of the other 3. It doesnt look 'cleverer' - and its likely that you'll get AABB instead of A*A*A because a 4th subject is too much work. If you do Product Design instead of one of the 'CS, FM or Physics' you would reduce your changes of an offer.

Thanks for your message. Right so this is the problem. I initially wanted to do Maths Physics And further maths , however if u you do further u have to do the entire maths a level in year 12 with the exam. If you get below an A, then you must drop further maths and redo maths next year (year 13). This means that I have to take 4 a levels, as if I was to get below an A in maths and was just doing three, I would only be doing two a levels in year 13 then, which would be maths and physics. Two is not enough for even any uni.
Your problem is that if you do take Product Design and then have to drop FM in the 2nd year to repeat Maths, you are wont meet the best combo of subjects for Imperial. Thats a risk.

How badly do you want to go to Imperial. Time to decide.
Reply 8
Your problem is that if you do take Product Design and then have to drop FM in the 2nd year to repeat Maths, you are wont meet the best combo of subjects for Imperial. Thats a risk.

Very badly. It’s my top uni. So look, my plan was that if I get the A or A star in maths (has to be A star for imperial), then I would drop Product Design in year 13. If I was in the same postion with Computer Science, if I got the grade in maths and dropped Cs, would it deter my application (so then I would do maths physics and further), as I fear I would struggle doing 4 a levels .
Reply 9

Btw another reason why I’m a bit deterred from doing CS at uni is that the teaching is not the best at this current school and that this was shown at GCSE level.
Reply 10
Hi can I get some more help on this plz
I wouldnt think so as you're already doing math, further math and physics as well as product design. If I were you I would email Imperial and see what they say :smile:
Reply 12
I did 2 months ago and they didn’t reply. Btw here the website in case u can help me https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/meng-computing-artificial-intelligence/
You have two of their recommended subjects and all the necessary entry requirements so your subjects are completely fine. At the end of the day if you enjoy product design more, you are more likely to get a higher grade and meet the entry requirements! :smile:

all the best, Jess
Original post by Fifty345
I did 2 months ago and they didn’t reply. Btw here the website in case u can help me https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/meng-computing-artificial-intelligence/

I mean computer science is definitely preferred and would probs make you more competitive but only if you get the grades. are there any subjects you like on the "useful list"
Original post by JessD3333
You have two of their recommended subjects and all the necessary entry requirements so your subjects are completely fine. At the end of the day if you enjoy product design more, you are more likely to get a higher grade and meet the entry requirements! :smile:

all the best, Jess

Agreed:smile:
You're all good, you've got the necessary subjects

Somebody from my school this year applied with Maths, CS and Media - and got an offer with no STEP! (she was a girl though). Don't worry! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by H4ttie03
I mean computer science is definitely preferred and would probs make you more competitive but only if you get the grades. are there any subjects you like on the "useful list"

No unfortunately. Right so let me explain my story. I wanted to do maths physics further maths, however if u do further u have to do the entire maths a level in year 12 with the exam. If u get below an A then u have to resit maths next year in year 13 and drop fruit her maths. Only doing these three subjects would put me in danger of only doing 2 a levels if this scenario arose. The imperial application to offer ratio is 18:1, so it is VERYYYY competitive. My computer science teacher is not the best, and idk what to do, pick cs or product design, as I would have to pick a fourth a level doing further mathsZ
Reply 18
Original post by howtochangename
You're all good, you've got the necessary subjects

Somebody from my school this year applied with Maths, CS and Media - and got an offer with no STEP! (she was a girl though). Don't worry! :smile:

Did she do this Exact course? https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/meng-computing-artificial-intelligence/
Original post by Fifty345
No unfortunately. Right so let me explain my story. I wanted to do maths physics further maths, however if u do further u have to do the entire maths a level in year 12 with the exam. If u get below an A then u have to resit maths next year in year 13 and drop fruit her maths. Only doing these three subjects would put me in danger of only doing 2 a levels if this scenario arose. The imperial application to offer ratio is 18:1, so it is VERYYYY competitive. My computer science teacher is not the best, and idk what to do, pick cs or product design, as I would have to pick a fourth a level doing further mathsZ

Ahh I see. If I were you I would pick product design as you're still doing math, further math and physics and I think as long as you do lots supercurrivulars for your personal statement then you should stand a chance, dont hold me to that tho lol

Quick Reply

Latest