The Student Room Group

Can you get into cambridge with very bad gcses?

I have 3 6's, 2 5's and one 8 in history. Is it totally out of the question and should I forget my dream to go there

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how many A* do you need exactly?
Reply 2
Excluding medicine, what would be acceptable?
Reply 3
It says A*AA
Original post by Anonymous
Excluding medicine, what would be acceptable?

Did you have extenuating circumstances? Although, I’m not sure how lenient they will be depending on the circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
Did you have extenuating circumstances? Although, I’m not sure how lenient they will be depending on the circumstances.

I was severely bullied, and whilst I'm not trying to create excuses for myself for not performing my best academically, it severely impacted my ability to function at school.
Reply 6
Do you think its possible considering I only got B's at my highest for gcse?
Reply 7
This is all I managed to get.
This is all I managed to get.

I really don't want to seem horrible here, but if you only managed to get 6 GCSEs do you think you can realistically get A* AA in your a levels? Not saying that you can't, but it's gonna be a really difficult struggle to get there. There are loads of other unis that are amazing that could be more realistic to strive for and then if you get into cambridge it can be a happy surprise? What courses are you looking at for a levels and unis? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by musicalrose
I really don't want to seem horrible here, but if you only managed to get 6 GCSEs do you think you can realistically get A* AA in your a levels? Not saying that you can't, but it's gonna be a really difficult struggle to get there. There are loads of other unis that are amazing that could be more realistic to strive for and then if you get into cambridge it can be a happy surprise? What courses are you looking at for a levels and unis? :smile:

Do you think it would work if I took 1 a level a year to focus on each a level to get A*AA, as I am a private candidate now

And yes your right, I should be realistic, I guess I should accept my dream is ruined
probably not tbh a levels are designed to be studied in a specific way (3 or 4 over 2 years). If you spend ages doing the a levels required, maybe the cambridge course will be too advanced for you and of course you have to do a personal statement and pass the dreaded cambridge interview. Why are you so set on going to cambridge anyway? I personally love durham and loads of my friends love other unis that are not related to oxbridge.
in the kindest way possible...

1. although Cambridge may theoretically have no gcse requirements, realistically.... ur grades probably won't cut it
2. with those gcse grades, aaa* at a level would be a damn miracle lets face it

overall, honestly don't bother. like hate to crush your dreams, but you have little chance and should focus your efforts elsewhere
probably not tbh a levels are designed to be studied in a specific way (3 or 4 over 2 years). If you spend ages doing the a levels required, maybe the cambridge course will be too advanced for you and of course you have to do a personal statement and pass the dreaded cambridge interview. Why are you so set on going to cambridge anyway? I personally love durham and loads of my friends love other unis that are not related to oxbridge.

Do you think somewhere like st andrews is more realistic or is that out of reach too?
Reply 14
I have 3 6's, 2 5's and one 8 in history. Is it totally out of the question and should I forget my dream to go there

You might get in if you get AAA* at A level, who knows?
Reply 15
It says A*AA

Correct. So you have to sort out yiur studying approach completely from now on to have any chance!

I'm in a similar boat. I want to go there too and I got 1 4, 2 5s, 2 6s, 2 7s, 2 8s and a 9. I do have extenuating circumstances and there's more they'll consider obviously but I'm still worried. You're not alone.
Reply 17
Original post by Purplemonkeys
I'm in a similar boat. I want to go there too and I got 1 4, 2 5s, 2 6s, 2 7s, 2 8s and a 9. I do have extenuating circumstances and there's more they'll consider obviously but I'm still worried. You're not alone.

You have to rock at A level! That's the truth tbh!
Original post by mgi
You have to rock at A level! That's the truth tbh!

But if I do, do I stand a chance?
Reply 19
Original post by Purplemonkeys
But if I do, do I stand a chance?

yes, But AAA* is your task!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending