The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Bsc Data science

Anyone planning on applying to the new Bsc Data Science course in LSE? It was only introduced this year so there's not a lot of information about the course but it seems to have a good mix of modules on computer science and statistics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apidafu
Anyone planning on applying to the new Bsc Data Science course in LSE? It was only introduced this year so there's not a lot of information about the course but it seems to have a good mix of modules on computer science and statistics.

Yeah potentially, do you have any idea if its competitive right now or not?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by bigfish06
Yeah potentially, do you have any idea if its competitive right now or not?

It possibly will be competitive because of the fact that it's a new course and thus generally they open up with few / little seats. However, with a relevant personal statement and the required predicted grades, I'm sure there'll be no issue anyways. I am looking to apply for it this year as well. Not so confident with achieved grades of A*A*A in Maths, Econs and physics respectively. All the best to you!
Original post by Anonymous
It possibly will be competitive because of the fact that it's a new course and thus generally they open up with few / little seats. However, with a relevant personal statement and the required predicted grades, I'm sure there'll be no issue anyways. I am looking to apply for it this year as well. Not so confident with achieved grades of A*A*A in Maths, Econs and physics respectively. All the best to you!

Achieved? That's great! I'm doing the same subjects as you so hopefully i can get the same. Surely Lse will have to accept you. Their entry requirements are only AAA which doesn't seem too high especially for such a good uni.
Achieved? That's great! I'm doing the same subjects as you so hopefully i can get the same. Surely Lse will have to accept you. Their entry requirements are only AAA which doesn't seem too high especially for such a good uni.

You'll do better i'm sure! Honestly I was hoping for better but I really regret not having the chance to actually write the exams. I'm just hoping to get into LSE for Data Science this year, I've always been thinking about cs or econs as a major, but then data science I feel combines both and adds a little statistics element to it! Are you applying for the same course?
You'll do better i'm sure! Honestly I was hoping for better but I really regret not having the chance to actually write the exams. I'm just hoping to get into LSE for Data Science this year, I've always been thinking about cs or econs as a major, but then data science I feel combines both and adds a little statistics element to it! Are you applying for the same course?

I'm not #2 but I'm considering applying - right now I only have AAA in maths, computer science, physics - I'm doing the exams for maths and computer science, so best case scenario I will have A*A*A to apply with in dec/jan, and then I'm planning to do Further Maths as an AS over the year (which I'm hoping I can be predicted an A for). Worst case scenario I don't think I'll apply with 3 As, if people are applying with A*s

I hope to. It all depends on my predicted grades but the course seems really interesting.
I'm not #2 but I'm considering applying - right now I only have AAA in maths, computer science, physics - I'm doing the exams for maths and computer science, so best case scenario I will have A*A*A to apply with in dec/jan, and then I'm planning to do Further Maths as an AS over the year (which I'm hoping I can be predicted an A for). Worst case scenario I don't think I'll apply with 3 As, if people are applying with A*s

3 As is probably enough. If i were you, i would do things to help your personal statement e.g. personal projects, lectures, books etc. They value your interest in the subject a lot. Doing AS fm will definitely be a huge plus.
Hello, I'm back and i managed to get 2 A*s from autumn exams, to now have A*A*A for maths, computer science and physics. I think I will try and apply to LSE for data science, I was just wondering whether anyone knows if its okay to have a mainly computer science oriented personal statement, as thats more or less what half of the course will be? I'm still going to try and find a way to weave in the statistics and data science online course i took, but as I was probably going to be applying to either 3 or 4 other unis for computer science, I'm wondering if they would be okay with a personal statement mainly designed for that course. Thanks
Hello, I'm back and i managed to get 2 A*s from autumn exams, to now have A*A*A for maths, computer science and physics. I think I will try and apply to LSE for data science, I was just wondering whether anyone knows if its okay to have a mainly computer science oriented personal statement, as thats more or less what half of the course will be? I'm still going to try and find a way to weave in the statistics and data science online course i took, but as I was probably going to be applying to either 3 or 4 other unis for computer science, I'm wondering if they would be okay with a personal statement mainly designed for that course. Thanks

Just give it your best shot!

Let us know how it goes
Hi everyone, I've applied for BSc Data Science 2021
I've got predicted grades of A* in Maths, A in Economics, A in Computer Science and an A* in EPQ. I've not got Further Maths, or 4 a levels, or lots of A*'s, but I did get 9999999887 in my GCSE's, so hopefully that can help me out. Has anyone else here applied, what do you think our chances are? Have you received a response from LSE?
Original post by Jamiee3
Hi everyone, I've applied for BSc Data Science 2021
I've got predicted grades of A* in Maths, A in Economics, A in Computer Science and an A* in EPQ. I've not got Further Maths, or 4 a levels, or lots of A*'s, but I did get 9999999887 in my GCSE's, so hopefully that can help me out. Has anyone else here applied, what do you think our chances are? Have you received a response from LSE?

Hi, I applied, I'm anonymous #3 I'm just not sure if it'll show that but yeah, I achieved A* A* A in Maths, Computer Science and Physics. My GCSEs were fairly average (888877777766 or so), but I'm just hoping that the fact that I've achieved the grades already will mean that they don't have to guess how well I will do I think? I'm honestly not sure how good my chances are since the course is quite new and I don't know how competitive the course is, and I haven't received a response from LSE or any uni I've applied to in fact.
Hi, I applied, I'm anonymous #3 I'm just not sure if it'll show that but yeah, I achieved A* A* A in Maths, Computer Science and Physics. My GCSEs were fairly average (888877777766 or so), but I'm just hoping that the fact that I've achieved the grades already will mean that they don't have to guess how well I will do I think? I'm honestly not sure how good my chances are since the course is quite new and I don't know how competitive the course is, and I haven't received a response from LSE or any uni I've applied to in fact.

I've got an offer from all my unis other than LSE: Lancaster, Bath, Leeds, City University of London. Waiting for their response is so... scary haha. I'm lucky that my grades are just predicted and i'm not applying with actual crappy grades (CAGs) from teachers who are not optimistic. My school is quite strict about the grades hence me getting A*AA predicted grades, I even had to really argue to get them up from AAB. I tend to perform better in actual exams, which is why i'm hopeful we're going to have mini exams in our schools. What is your personal statement like? I really tailored mine to data science, I'm hoping they like it because apparently that's the biggest factor for LSE application decisions.

Honestly, I'm not seeing *any* data science applicants around, literally just a few people in this thread. I'm really hoping that it hasn't got many applicants because people are wary of it being a new course... but who knows.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jamiee3
I've got an offer from all my unis other than LSE: Lancaster, Bath, Leeds, City University of London. Waiting for their response is so... scary haha. I'm lucky that my grades are just predicted and i'm not applying with actual crappy grades (CAGs) from teachers who are not optimistic. My school is quite strict about the grades hence me getting A*AA predicted grades, I even had to really argue to get them up from AAB. I tend to perform better in actual exams, which is why i'm hopeful we're going to have mini exams in our schools. What is your personal statement like? I really tailored mine to data science, I'm hoping they like it because apparently that's the biggest factor for LSE application decisions.

Honestly, I'm not seeing *any* data science applicants around, literally just a few people in this thread. I'm really hoping that it hasn't got many applicants because people are wary of it being a new course... but who knows.

Congrats on getting all your other offers, I'm sure you should be okay then. But yeah it was sort of a similar situation for me when I was applying the first time around at the end of 2019, and in the end for the two subjects I was predicted an A* in I was given an A as a CAG which disappointed me which was why I did the autumn exams. Mine was quite data science-oriented but I tried to mention things like machine learning as its sort of included in both computer science and data science, since I applied for comp sci at 3 other unis (i applied for data sci at warwick too), but I'm also hoping they like it - thats true though, I really don't know anyone else applying for it but you never know, the uni is something like 70% international students after all too
Congrats on getting all your other offers, I'm sure you should be okay then. But yeah it was sort of a similar situation for me when I was applying the first time around at the end of 2019, and in the end for the two subjects I was predicted an A* in I was given an A as a CAG which disappointed me which was why I did the autumn exams. Mine was quite data science-oriented but I tried to mention things like machine learning as its sort of included in both computer science and data science, since I applied for comp sci at 3 other unis (i applied for data sci at warwick too), but I'm also hoping they like it - thats true though, I really don't know anyone else applying for it but you never know, the uni is something like 70% international students after all too

Yeah, I mean to be honest my main problem now is which university to go for, I've actually applied for a slightly different course at each university as well which makes it even more complicated haha. It's interesting you've applied to Computer Science three times and Data Science twice, two of my best friends have applied to Computer Science only, one got accepted to Cambridge! The other didn't, but is hoping for ICL. The dream is me and my friend can go to London at ICL and LSE respectively.

A bigger chunk of my personal statement is about computing projects like data science and statistical analysis stuff I've done in Python and a course at UCL and such, and then some stuff about mathematical techniques like interpolation that I've looked into a fair bit before. In terms of maths, I talk a fair bit about time-series stuff and forecasting, which is sort of to appeal to the actuarial courses I applied to as well. I also talk about trading stocks and bitcoin as I thought no one else would talk about that :biggrin:. The final paragraph(s) touch upon a small bit of economics/finance and a neuroscience/AI theory I closely follow, and about me being excited to continue stuff in a course.

I'll list the courses I applied to below, in order of preference.
1) LSE
Data Science (N3UD)
2) The University of Bath
Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science (G307)
3) Lancaster
Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) (Industry) (GLN1)
4) The University of Leeds
Actuarial Mathematics (NG31)
5) City, University Of London
Data Analytics and Actuarial Science (with Professional Placement) (GG31)

There, there's a load of information about me, sorry if it's overwhelming haha.
LSE rep just confirmed estimated 30 applicant intake for this course: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=93724916#post93724916
Original post by Jamiee3
Yeah, I mean to be honest my main problem now is which university to go for, I've actually applied for a slightly different course at each university as well which makes it even more complicated haha. It's interesting you've applied to Computer Science three times and Data Science twice, two of my best friends have applied to Computer Science only, one got accepted to Cambridge! The other didn't, but is hoping for ICL. The dream is me and my friend can go to London at ICL and LSE respectively.

A bigger chunk of my personal statement is about computing projects like data science and statistical analysis stuff I've done in Python and a course at UCL and such, and then some stuff about mathematical techniques like interpolation that I've looked into a fair bit before. In terms of maths, I talk a fair bit about time-series stuff and forecasting, which is sort of to appeal to the actuarial courses I applied to as well. I also talk about trading stocks and bitcoin as I thought no one else would talk about that :biggrin:. The final paragraph(s) touch upon a small bit of economics/finance and a neuroscience/AI theory I closely follow, and about me being excited to continue stuff in a course.

I'll list the courses I applied to below, in order of preference.
1) LSE
Data Science (N3UD)
2) The University of Bath
Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science (G307)
3) Lancaster
Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) (Industry) (GLN1)
4) The University of Leeds
Actuarial Mathematics (NG31)
5) City, University Of London
Data Analytics and Actuarial Science (with Professional Placement) (GG31)

There, there's a load of information about me, sorry if it's overwhelming haha.

No worries, its always interesting to read about what others are up to. But yeah last year I only applied for computer science but this year I branched out a little, but i do get multiple offers Im not too sure where i would head yet. But yeah I had a summer job some time ago where I was doing some graphic / different things with R which i mentioned, then i mentioned a mooc i took about machine learning and a couple of other things, hopefully enough of it seemed good to whoevers reading. I had an offer for computer science from bath last year but results day messed me up and even with cags i still missed my offer :frown:
30 seems quite small yikes, though like you said nobody really seems to be applying, im not sure what the intake is like for other courses but i wont lie im a little more worried now lmao
No worries, its always interesting to read about what others are up to. But yeah last year I only applied for computer science but this year I branched out a little, but i do get multiple offers Im not too sure where i would head yet. But yeah I had a summer job some time ago where I was doing some graphic / different things with R which i mentioned, then i mentioned a mooc i took about machine learning and a couple of other things, hopefully enough of it seemed good to whoevers reading. I had an offer for computer science from bath last year but results day messed me up and even with cags i still missed my offer :frown:
30 seems quite small yikes, though like you said nobody really seems to be applying, im not sure what the intake is like for other courses but i wont lie im a little more worried now lmao

Haha yeah, we seem like we're sort of in similar situations actually. A few months ago i also was super worried that my "low" (relatively) predicted grades would mean i'd have to reapply or redo the year or whatever. I also don't have further maths... being the data scientist I am i've trawled loads of data that's available about past applicants and such from similar courses at LSE (eg financial maths and statistics) and they really, really, do like further maths from their applicants... I feel like if they decline my application it'll be because of that most likely.

You sound a tad more experienced than me with the mooc and R experience, do you have much experience of other languages? I briefly mention Python in mine, though it is actually the only language I know - though i'm pretty experienced with it. I've heard before that they read through your personal statement quite a few times and really vet it, and i assume that'll only be exaggerated this year. Sorry if I'm stoking your worry here, I'm sort of addicted to checking my UCAS email twice a day already haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jamiee3
Haha yeah, we seem like we're sort of in similar situations actually. A few months ago i also was super worried that my "low" (relatively) predicted grades would mean i'd have to reapply or redo the year or whatever. I also don't have further maths... being the data scientist I am i've trawled loads of data that's available about past applicants and such from similar courses at LSE (eg financial maths and statistics) and they really, really, do like further maths from their applicants... I feel like if they decline my application it'll be because of that most likely.

You sound a tad more experienced than me with the mooc and R experience, do you have much experience of other languages? I briefly mention Python in mine, though it is actually the only language I know - though i'm pretty experienced with it. I've heard before that they read through your personal statement quite a few times and really vet it, and i assume that'll only be exaggerated this year. Sorry if I'm stoking your worry here, I'm sort of addicted to checking my UCAS email twice a day already haha

Yeah i totally know the feeling, having grades that aren't bad or low but really slim your chances of going where you want to go. But yep thats 100% my only regret when it came to A Levels honestly, at the start of sixth form i really hadnt thought much about uni and no teacher really even mentioned further maths so I didn't even think it was necessary until i started looking into uni more towards the end of y12 and realised it was quite preferable for the top unis lmao. I wanted to take an AS this year after autumn exams in the summer, but I couldn't even get through to my maths teachers lmao, but since exams got cancelled I don't even think I'd get a good CAG so whatever. I have experience with JavaScript (for web dev stuff), Java, C# and I was learning haskell for a bit but i realised that with personal statements its better for me to focus on a couple of things im really good at in terms of programming languages, instead of vague experience across a bunch of things which is what i sort of wrote in my old PS which was defo a mistake lol. I messed around with neural network models with python and i know a decent amount of it so i mentioned that as well, but yeah R and Python were the only languages I really went into detail with. But yeah because of exams being cancelled and whatnot theyre defo gonna wanna see what you've done for yourself, because at the end of the day these grades teachers are giving out are never going to be 100% fair / accurate. But no worries haha, actually just like an hour ago i got my first offer from durham for cs!! so im feeling okay now knowing that i wont get 5 rejections lmao
Yeah i totally know the feeling, having grades that aren't bad or low but really slim your chances of going where you want to go. But yep thats 100% my only regret when it came to A Levels honestly, at the start of sixth form i really hadnt thought much about uni and no teacher really even mentioned further maths so I didn't even think it was necessary until i started looking into uni more towards the end of y12 and realised it was quite preferable for the top unis lmao. I wanted to take an AS this year after autumn exams in the summer, but I couldn't even get through to my maths teachers lmao, but since exams got cancelled I don't even think I'd get a good CAG so whatever. I have experience with JavaScript (for web dev stuff), Java, C# and I was learning haskell for a bit but i realised that with personal statements its better for me to focus on a couple of things im really good at in terms of programming languages, instead of vague experience across a bunch of things which is what i sort of wrote in my old PS which was defo a mistake lol. I messed around with neural network models with python and i know a decent amount of it so i mentioned that as well, but yeah R and Python were the only languages I really went into detail with. But yeah because of exams being cancelled and whatnot theyre defo gonna wanna see what you've done for yourself, because at the end of the day these grades teachers are giving out are never going to be 100% fair / accurate. But no worries haha, actually just like an hour ago i got my first offer from durham for cs!! so im feeling okay now knowing that i wont get 5 rejections lmao

Woo! Well done!! Would you maybe want to add me on discord or something? (Jamie#2470) If not, that's cool, you just seem like a cool guy who's pretty similar to me. A durham offer though, very well done indeed. Honestly I don't know how I got all of my offers within 3 weeks of open hours of unis. I actually have a pretty interesting ofqual document about the statistics behind predicted grades which is also pretty interesting... idk why i'm mentioning this but hey, this is data science! :biggrin: Honestly, I'll be saddddd if LSE turns me down as they're sort of my best place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending