The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

9 Liverpool's Number
98 year old with cancer yourself?

or are you claiming to be a Paramedic now as well?

Who exactly is it you empathise with?
Hmmm I don't think you quite understand what empathy is. You can put yourself in someone else's position in order to understand how they might be feeling without actually having been there yourself, you know. i.e. you don't have to have been a poor old soul with cancer to realise that they're already in pain and feeling hopeless without being bundled around like a piece of meat.

On that note, to the rest of you "professionals"... I'm not quite sure why you're all suggesting that someone needs an official qualification in order to recognise when someone is doing a piss poor job. I don't need a degree in engineering to know that when my roof is caving in, the builders ****ed up. Likewise, no one needs to be a healthcare professional (of ANY sort) or, in fact, even have any experience AT ALL in such a setting to be able to recognise when someone is being careless or giving it less than 100%.

You all have the right to disagree with what's being said, but you might want to consider either trying to explain why they were acting that way or try to give some solid examples to convince us that these incidents are in the minority... instead of just trying to make out that it's not true because someone who isn't "qualified" doesn't know what they're talking about. Basically, none of you are saying "hmm maybe these particular paramedics WERE being a bit shoddy, and should be ashamed of themselves for that, but that's not how it normally is" - all you're saying is "I wasn't there but I'm sure they were being 100% professional and you just can't see that because you're not experienced enough to know". That outlook is fairly idiotic, in MY opinion.
9 Liverpool's Number
You are entitled to an opinion and if that were all it was I doubt you would be getting the reponses you have been.

Once you let it be known that you were a trained (as an HCA) member of staff the dynamic changed. You are attacking a section of the NHS which you seem to know very little about, nor do I but then I'm not telling the whole service they are ****e. As a member of the public fine, I'm sure these lads (and lasses) have to put up with clueless attacks on their profession all the time but as a trained member of staff if someone came in here and said they had a few bad experiences with Nurses or HCA's and then wrote off every Nurse in every Trust how would you react?

Probably the same way they have?

Yeah and you would be right to as well.

No, I'd never defend a nurse/HCA/Paramedic/Doctor or anyone at all for not doing their job properly. Stop glorifying people, they make mistakes and should be held accountable instead of assuming that all of them are 100% professional 100% of the time.
Toy Soldier
Hmmm I don't think you quite understand what empathy is. You can put yourself in someone else's position in order to understand how they might be feeling without actually having been there yourself, you know. i.e. you don't have to have been a poor old soul with cancer to realise that they're already in pain and feeling hopeless without being bundled around like a piece of meat. On that note, to the rest of you "professionals"... I'm not quite sure why you're all suggesting that someone needs an official qualification in order to recognise when someone is doing a piss poor job. I don't need a degree in engineering to know that when my roof is caving in, the builders ****ed up. Likewise, no one needs to be a healthcare professional (of ANY sort) or, in fact, even have any experience AT ALL in such a setting to be able to recognise when someone is being careless or giving it less than 100%. You all have the right to disagree with what's being said, but you might want to consider either trying to explain why they were acting that way or try to give some solid examples to convince us that these incidents are in the minority... instead of just trying to make out that it's not true because someone who isn't "qualified" doesn't know what they're talking about. Basically, none of you are saying "hmm maybe these particular paramedics WERE being a bit shoddy, and should be ashamed of themselves for that, but that's not how it normally is" - all you're saying is "I wasn't there but I'm sure they were being 100% professional and you just can't see that because you're not experienced enough to know". That outlook is fairly idiotic, in MY opinion.

Empathy is the ability to share someone else feelings usually by the fact you have been in a similar situation. I know what empathy is, it is a big reason I have such a great bedside manner, oh and that isn't me talking that is the patients and those I work with.

In my case I empathise with them before they go into theatre because I have been in there myself on more than one occasion.
.Vengeance.
Wrong, that's sympathy. Because it's a shared experience you can directly relate to. Empathy is putting yourself in somebody else's shoes and imagining how they might feel.

Fair enough I got them confused.

I was wrong.

See how easy it is, you should try it sometime.
9 Liverpool's Number
Yeah they are and that comment doesn't make you any smarter.

If you are suggesting you know the mindset of a 98 year old cancer victim then you are wasted in nursing and art you should be on the big screen.

Sympathy is the word you SHOULD have used.

I don't do an art degree, it's an ARTS degree.

I can imagine what they must be feeling, that's empathy. What on earth do you think an empathic person is? It's a quality you can attribute to a person about how they are generally. You're making it too specific. An empathic person is the kind of person who works well in the healthcare system.
HenrySJA
If you are not on the course, then you cannot say that you are a trainee nurse as you have not started your nurse training yet. I'm sure the NMC would also have something to say, perhaps?
To be fair, someone with a couple of years as an HCA has a lot more practical nursing experience than a first or even second year Nursing degree/diploma student who went in with none. Also, who's to say what she can and can't say she is? You don't have to be doing a degree in Philosophy to call yourself a "student of philosophy". What exactly would the NMC "have to say" about anything? If she was claiming to be a trained nurse, maybe. She's not falsely claiming to be an RN so I doubt they'd have much to say at all.
9 Liverpool's Number
The Bed was sad at first but moved on and is now happily married with 4 pillows.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Latest

Trending

Trending