The Student Room Group

Paramedic masters funding

I am a nursing graduate looking to do a paramedic masters. I received the full student loan and nhs bursary for my nursing degree and also an overpayment which I am unable to repay yet.
I have seen that there is a masters loan available for the paramedic course, would I be eligible for this even though I haven’t repaid the overpayment from my nursing degree yet?
Also it says there is another nhs bursary available for this course? Am I eligible for that even though I received it in my nursing degree?
Also I’ve seen that if I am eligible for the nhs bursary then I’m not allowed to also have the masters loan, is this correct? If so, can I refuse the bursary as I’d much rather the masters loan as it’s over double the amount.

Thanks is advance
Original post by Cameronaitken
I am a nursing graduate looking to do a paramedic masters. I received the full student loan and nhs bursary for my nursing degree and also an overpayment which I am unable to repay yet.
I have seen that there is a masters loan available for the paramedic course, would I be eligible for this even though I haven’t repaid the overpayment from my nursing degree yet?
Also it says there is another nhs bursary available for this course? Am I eligible for that even though I received it in my nursing degree?
Also I’ve seen that if I am eligible for the nhs bursary then I’m not allowed to also have the masters loan, is this correct? If so, can I refuse the bursary as I’d much rather the masters loan as it’s over double the amount.

Thanks is advance

Which student finance company do you normally apply to (SFE, SFW, SAAS) and what country is the uni in where you want to take your masters (England, Wales, etc.)?
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Which student finance company do you normally apply to (SFE, SFW, SAAS) and what country is the uni in where you want to take your masters (England, Wales, etc.)?

SFE, England. It’s the 2 year paramedic pre registration course. I’ve just seen also that the masters loan is actually spread out over the two years rather than given each year.
Original post by Cameronaitken
SFE, England. It’s the 2 year paramedic pre registration course. I’ve just seen also that the masters loan is actually spread out over the two years rather than given each year.

For the first part of your query, make a new post on the Ask SFE forum and give the name of the course and the uni so that the official reps can check the funding status on the database.

When you mention the NHS Bursary I think you mean the NHS Learning Support Fund (NHS LSF), which is for Allied Health Profession and other healthcare students (the NHS Bursary is for medics and dentists). Although undergraduate paramedic courses are eligible, I'm not sure if all postgrad courses are eligible. I recommend you email the NHS LSF to ask about your specific course and to see if you can claim the training grant again. There is a contact form on the link below and they usually respond to queries promptly:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf/contact-us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending