The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You're pretty much guaranteed a job with an Oxbridge degree (unless it's something like music lol). They are the top tier university.
Reply 21
WOLLSMOTH
You're pretty much guaranteed a job with an Oxbridge degree (unless it's something like music lol). They are the top tier university.

You're never guarenteed anything. Especially not if you waste your time doing nothing, don't study either and come away with a third. Despite what you think an employer isn't going to fall to their knees and worship you.

Also music degrees are not as easy or worthless as you seem to think. They can be quite respected and, believe it or not, you don't sit around playing three chords on a guitar for three years. If you can't play an instrument to such a high standard you have no right to criticise.

Also, for those doing music (and serious about pursing it as a career) they'd choose somewhere like th Royal College of Music/Royal Academy of music etc. Not Cambridge :wink:

Now run along little boy
River85
You're never guarenteed anything. Especially not if you waste your time doing nothing, don't study either and come away with a third. Despite what you think an employer isn't going to fall to their knees and worship you.

Also music degrees are not as easy or worthless as you seem to think. They can be quite respected and, believe it or not, you don't sit around playing three chords on a guitar for three years. If you can't play an instrument to such a high standard you have no right to criticise.

Also, for those doing music (and serious about pursing it as a career) they'd choose somewhere like th Royal College of Music/Royal Academy of music etc. Not Cambridge

Now run along little boy

You might be right, no in fact you definitely were right - but your last sentence makes you sound like an arrogant prick. Just my 2 cents...

EDIT: After glancing at that guys profile, it seems he makes a business out of being a penis, so what seemed like an over-the-top reaction from you was actually probably warranted...
Reply 23
What I find is that, in doing A Levels I'm in a minority. Amongst my friends and I, a huge amount dropped out after GCSEs and ventured out into the working world. The only univeristies that they have heard of are Bournemouth (as that's where we live) Cambridge and Oxford. They are vaugely aware that London has a uni (and that is only because, London is the captial and you would expect it to have a uni!)

Point is, unless your in education etc, I've found that many people don't really know much about KCL, UCL, Durham etc
Edit: Or anything about the legue tables either!
River85
I thought the long holidays would be great but, by the time I got to mid-September, I start getting bored (and run out of money) :frown:

True, money is a problem.

Btw, lots of Oxford and Cambridge graduates go on to do a Masters course at the top conservatoires and then go on to have very successful careers as instrumentalists and even concert soloists :yep:
Reply 25
TheEnergizerRabbit
You might be right, no in fact you definitely were right - but your last sentence makes you sound like an arrogant prick. Just my 2 cents

Lol, I'm not usually like that with people! Others have called him worse.

He's just been a particularly irritating troll. He was really bad yesterday (the "boy" bit was because we think he's a 13 year old with no idea about higher education). I'm suprised you haven't came across him until now.
WOLLSMOTH

That's very true. Even with an Oxford degree, if my arm gets amputated tomorrow, my career as a performer is over :yep:
Reply 27
The_Lonely_Goatherd

Btw, lots of Oxford and Cambridge graduates go on to do a Masters course at the top conservatoires and then go on to have very successful careers as instrumentalists and even concert soloists :yep:

I know, I was just teasing. :wink:

The point is, I don't know how he can criticise music or language degrees when he probably can't (or ever hope to) play an instrument or speak a language.

They require great talent.
River85
:eek: It's quite refreshing to hear somone say that on TSR.

As most UoL students think their name is a real heavyweight abroad (many think it's as well known as Oxbridge). In truth, the only reason why unis like UCL or KCL (the two major multifaculty unis) are better known internationall is down to the London name. It's a capital city, it's always going to carry some recognition regardless of whether the actual uni is known or not. It's not because they are superior to the other eight or so unis after Oxbridge.

Yeah, they will know it's a London school but they wouldn't know how good the education is there. They probably would also know about New York University (NYU), Berlin University, etc but they care about how rigorous the education is in that university and how much the graduates are likely to learn there.
River85

The point is, I don't know how he can criticise music or language degrees when he probably can't (or ever hope to) play an instrument or speak a language.

:yep: (Well, to play an instrument well :biggrin:)
Reply 30
River85

I speak Russian to the standard of a B grade at gcse and i've only been learning it for a year. By next year i'll be fluent.
Reply 31
WOLLSMOTH
I speak Russian to the standard of a B grade at gcse and i've only been learning it for a year. By next year i'll be fluent.

If you think that's that case, the jump between GCSE and fluent, is something you obviously aren't perpared for!
Reply 32
WOLLSMOTH

:rofl:

Sure.
Reply 33
eulerwaswrong
i think that imperial is better than at least oxford for some of its science courses - but its the whole reputation theing - saying you have a degree from oxbridge - its just seen as the dogs *******s

agreed.
Also nearly all engineering courses at Imperial are likely to carry more weight than an Oxbridge engineering degree (at least that's my opinion).
- world class elite universities
- high job prospects
WOLLSMOTH

:laughing:

I love this little act you put on - it really amuses me as I don't know if people take it seriously or not (though I hope they do).

Maybe you're as bored this summer as me :rolleyes:

Horray for Russian though! I think you should have picked Korean personally - or Japanese :P
TI-84
agreed.
Also nearly all engineering courses at Imperial are likely to carry more weight than an Oxbridge engineering degree (at least that's my opinion).

but if you tell a randomer/ slightly ignorant employer they will see the oxbridge degree and think this is superior to the imperial degree - when this might not be the case. There is this sorta dogmatic view that society holds that oxbridge is in a whole different league to other unis - when it isnt - but i dont see this changing any time soon
WOLLSMOTH

Or not
River85
Lol, I'm not usually like that with people! Others have called him worse.

He's just been a particularly irritating troll. He was really bad yesterday (the "boy" bit was because we think he's a 13 year old with no idea about higher education). I'm suprised you haven't came across him until now.

I'll raise my hand up to not doing my research before speaking (I can definitely see why you'd take that tone).
Reply 39
What's so unique about their tutorial system? And why don't other universities just copy it to achieve a similair standard of education?

Latest

Trending

Trending