The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
TI-84
agreed.
Also nearly all engineering courses at Imperial are likely to carry more weight than an Oxbridge engineering degree (at least that's my opinion).

Only if you want to be an engineer. I know one person who as rejected from Imperial (going to Cambridge), probably (grades etc. were all easily good enough) because he said he didn't actually want to work as an engineer - the courses have a very different focus. I'd probably say the same about the Computer Science courses; Imperials is more practical while the Oxbridge courses have a more academic focus.
Reply 61
The Oxbridge tutorial system is hardly unique. A few top uni~s offer it too. I know KCL does. The Student – Professor ratio for my course is roughly 3:1.

As for music degrees being easy, well... why don't you try it. Even the a-level is up there with Physics and Maths as being one of the hardest.

If someone wants to perform, and does not care for the academics of music, they will go to music college.
If someone is solely interested in the academics of music, they will go to Oxbridge.

If however, you prefer a heady mix of both; I recommend KCL. (Not biased... promise :wink: )
Reply 62
River85
:eek: It's quite refreshing to hear somone say that on TSR.

As most UoL students think their name is a real heavyweight abroad (many think it's as well known as Oxbridge). In truth, the only reason why unis like UCL or KCL (the two major multifaculty unis) are better known internationall is down to the London name. It's a capital city, it's always going to carry some recognition regardless of whether the actual uni is known or not. It's not because they are superior to the other eight or so unis after Oxbridge.

I've heard SOAS is pretty much one of the most internationally recognised universities though despite not carrying a London name as obviously as UCl/KCL
boxface
No offence, but yeah, that's basically what they did.

Well they did exactly what everyone else did and reapplied to get a place. There was no special path from Oxford to Imperial. They went the same route anyone else would have gone. I really don't see what your point was in bringing it up. Well, of course I do, but the point I'm making is that the anecdote you provided does not support your proposition (which was that Oxford engineering is more demanding than Imperial engineering which is hilarious to say the least) at all. It means squat. They had AAA minimum at A2 so obviously they where attractive candidates. The conclusion you seem to be drawing from that is simply ridiculous.
Reply 64
*pitseleh*
One-to-one or one-to-two tuition? You won't get that in many places.

If other universities were to "copy" this system, they would either have to employ a hell of a lot more people (which would cost a lot of money; besides which, if all universities did this, I doubt there would be enough sufficiently-qualified tutors to go around) or greatly reduce their student numbers (which would take away a large chunk of their income).

Oh right, that does sound better than the groups of about 6 to 12 we are in at my uni. I'm still suprised that not even one uni has tried to copy their system though as it does sound good. Are there any uni's that have tried to copy it before? cheers x
Reply 65
Yuffie
I've heard SOAS is pretty much one of the most internationally recognised universities though despite not carrying a London name as obviously as UCl/KCL

If you mean, internationally, as in, including U.S. universities, then I dont think SOAS even comes into the picture.
If you mean British universities, being recognised internationally, then there is a possibility.
Reply 66
Yuffie

Given the focus of the university I'm sure it is, in "the Orient" (should never be allowed to keep that name. Edward Said, who was he...)?
The best thing about Oxbridge is that they seem to soak up many of these up their own arse pompous idiots (who are obviously not as worldly or intelligent as they think or they would not think so highly of themselves). I really mean that. Not that everyone or even the majority is like that but there does seem to be (based on my experience of the place and observation of TSR) quite a few intolerable persons at said universities.
Reply 68
River85
Given the focus of the university I'm sure it is, in "the Orient" (should never be allowed to keep that name. Edward Said, who was he...)?

Well that was a pretty childish comment.
Oxford and Cambridge tutors apparently regard it as equal and possibly better in languages like Chinese.
hotgoose
Oh right, that does sound better than the groups of about 6 to 12 we are in at my uni. I'm still suprised that not even one uni has tried to copy their system though as it does sound good. Are there any uni's that have tried to copy it before? cheers x

The yanks don't have it at all. Harvard,Berkely and MIT have 300+ in many lectures. I don't think its really that great. It's more important to have access to a lecturer whenever they're needed.
Yuffie
Oxford and Cambridge tutors apparently regard it as equal and possibly better in languages like Chinese.

I don't know how so many people can go around giving anecdotal evidence all the time. I despise it. Where did you hear this from? You can't expect anyone to listen to that without any form of verification. Not that I disagree.
River85

Why should it not have been allowed to keep that name?
The best thing about Oxbridge is that they seem to soak up many of these up their own arse pompous idiots (who are obviously not as worldly or intelligent as they think or they would not think so highly of themselves). I really mean that. Not that everyone or even the majority is like that but there does seem to be (based on my experience of the place and observation of TSR) quite a few intolerable persons at said universities.

I agree with a lot that you have said, but now your being just as silly on the other side on the other side of the argument, --> everywhere has its share of *****.
Reply 73
Yuffie

:confused: How was that childish? I think you seriously misunderstood me there.

I have plenty of respect for SOAS. They have great language degrees, interesesting politics. When other unis are closing their East Asian studies departments (to favour their science or research intensive departments) SOAS will only grow as, after all, that's what it's built on.

I also know it's quite well known (and quite popular) in south Asia.

The "Oriental" bit was a reference as to how they've kept the name despite it falling out of favour with many academics (indeed, almost a dirty word) after the criticism from Edward Said.

I was making no criticism.
Reply 74
LJoll
Why should it not have been allowed to keep that name?

See my last post.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to keep the name. Just that, whilst it has fallen out of favour in many places of academia, they have managed to keep it/avoid the negative connotations and have only grown in name and stature.

I'm not making any judgegment on the uni or the word itself (or that I agree with Said).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism
Turdburger
I agree with a lot that you have said, but now your being just as silly on the other side on the other side of the argument, --> everywhere has its share of *****.

Yes you're very right. I wrote that actually but my browser went nuts and then when I posted some was cut out so I quickly filled in the blanks I could see. There is no doubt what you say is true and it is particularly true among the higher regarded universities due to the self satisfaction that many derive from the alleged achievement and recognition of getting into certain universities. I should add that there are many very brilliant and charming people there too, again this is an observation of TSR and my (3 total) visits to the places. I didn't mean to make it sound as if that was my view of the majority but one must admit places like Oxbridge,LSE,Imperial and Durham are likely to have a greater proportion of pompous arses than most universities. Arrogance I don't mind so much but pretentious snobs I can't stand.
Reply 76
Chemical_Scum
Arrogance I don't mind so much but pretentious snobs I can't stand.

Arrogance is to be admired (in small doses). There has been no great person around who hasn't had an arrogant streak.
River85
See my last post.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to keep the name. Just that, whilst it has fallen out of favour in many places of academia, they have managed to keep it/avoid the negative connotations and have only grown in name and stature.

I'm not making any judgegment on the uni or the word itself (or that I agree with Said).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism

I know that the word "oriental" is sometimes considered offensive, but I thought that it was only in America. By saying that it should never have kept the name, you seemed to be making a judgment on the word.
River85
Arrogance is to be admired (in small doses). There has been no great person around who hasn't had an arrogant streak.

I couldn't agree more. In fact I think I did agree did I not? I am certainly guilty of a degree of it. I far prefer a little arrogance from restrictive humility. Pretentiousness is a different story in that it is without justification. By all means if you're great I'd like you to be aware of that fact and enjoy your hard earned success but when someone has a vastly distorted view of their own achievement or significance I cannot entertain their company for it would only end with me putting them in their place or wanting to.
Reply 79
LJoll
I know that the word "oriental" is sometimes considered offensive, but I thought that it was only in America. By saying that it should never have kept the name, you seemed to be making a judgment on the word.

Well it was Edward Said who first made the criticisism and he was Palestinian (working in the US) but I don't think it was just limited to the US.

I think in this country it fell out of favour even quickly (being a former colonial power, still with a commonwealth, and being sensitive to these things. Apparently). Maybe it probably took longer to fall out of favour amongst the public.

Though I don't like the word personally (to me, it has no real meaning) I don't judge any academic or instiution that uses it.

Latest

Trending

Trending