The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oxbridge tutor system is not unique, in subjects like maths most third tier university have a tutor system, however it might be three or four students to a tutor.

I really don't think Oxbridge is that good. I think the student is what matters the most, not the teachers. Espically since most top uni's are similar.

On the other hand, if I do get an offer from Oxford and do get in, then I will be saying Oxford is the best uni, ever.:p:
River85
Well it was Edward Said who first made the criticisism and he was Palestinian (working in the US) but I don't think it was just limited to the US.

I think in this country it fell out of favour even quickly (being a former colonial power, still with a commonwealth, and being sensitive to these things. Apparently). Maybe it probably took longer to fall out of favour amongst the public.

Though I don't like the word personally (to me, it has no real meaning) I don't judge any academic or instiution that uses it.

The word oriental is deemed offensive in America but not Britain. I do not know much of Edward Said, but I had believed that his criticism was of the history of academic oriental studies, not the term oriental itself.

And it does has a meaning.
Reply 82
LJoll
The word oriental is deemed offensive in America but not Britain.

I don't know about that, I'm at a university with one of the largest (and possibly oldest) middle east schools and most academics frown down upon it. Then again, my ME lecturer did inform this was all b*****s

So what does "Oriental" mean? How can it possibly do as a description of cultures and lands as varied as (what was or is) Persia, Egypt, Japan, China Abyssinia...?
Reply 83
Not better than loughbough for student satisfacation, Boo yA!!!,, i use that to use what unis th best.. lougboug rules baby, i anna go there so much, heard such good things

oxfords alrite... not my scene...
Hercules
Not better than loughbough for student satisfacation, Boo yA!!!,, i use that to use what unis th best.. lougboug rules baby, i anna go there so much, heard such good things

oxfords alrite... not my scene...

lol like what?really cheap, laid back, lots of sport and lots of parties I assume?
Reply 85
Chemical_Scum
lol like what?really cheap, laid back, lots of sport and lots of parties I assume?

hit the nail on the head there mate,

but another reason is i want to do sports and excersise science and thats the best places to do it
Reply 86
River85
So what does "Oriental" mean? How can it possibly do as a description of cultures and lands as varied as (what was or is) Persia, Egypt, Japan, China Abyssinia...?

Oriental just means from the East. I guess you could use that to justify teaching about Germany in a British Oriental Studies course. >_>
Reply 87
I think it's a lot to do with the status of them because it really is amazing to get in there.

I had an interview at Oxford and only four of us were interviewed for the course I wanted to do in the college I applied to and two of them got in there and I wasn't one of them. I cried for like two days haha. Bit silly now to have been so upset but I really fell in love with the place and the fact that I got so near but was sooo far from getting into one of the best universities in the world kinda cut me up a bit lol...especially seen as I come from a state school.

But I'm over it now and really excited to be going to the uni I'm going to so it's all goooood :smile:
Reply 88
River85
:rofl:

Oh dear....

Don't underestimate him...

But seriously, I don't know why you're hating like that; I think it's more than possible to become fluent in less than a year. I'm not exaggerating here; I became fluent in German in less than a month, although my study was pretty much non-stop [well over 7 hours a day study]. I became conversant in the grammar first, learnt numerous vocab + verb tables and pretty much learnt the German-English dictionary (although the thing which got me through that was actually enjoying it) and then I just went through loads of literature, articles, e-books, CDs etc, and then I went to Germany for a week so being immersed in a 'German' environment facilitated that. Basically, it's more than possible if you're dedicated so I don't think you can mock him like that... it's more than possible if you put your mind to it. Also, don't be so arrogant.
Reply 89
would there be any major advantages in doing a PGCE in cambridge over doing one in a more 'normal' uni?
Reply 90
aster100
Don't underestimate him...

But seriously, I don't know why you're hating like that.

Look at amany of his other posts and then you'll see.

aster100
I think it's more than possible to become fluent in less than a year. I'm not exaggerating here; I became fluent in German in less than a month

But then English and German are, unsuprisingly, very similar (having the same roots and what not). Russian is a whole different ball game.

I'm not denying that someone can't become fluent in a foreign language within a couple of years but you actually need intelligence. This (or maturity) is something that Wollsmoth clearly lacks (judging by his posts)
Reply 91
aster100
I think it's more than possible to become fluent in less than a year. I'm not exaggerating here; I became fluent in German in less than a month, although my study was pretty much non-stop [well over 7 hours a day study].

Yes, there are certainly some people for whom languages come a lot more easily than others. I recall the story of a man who learned Icelandic (reputed to be one of the hardest languages to master) to fluency in a week as a challenge and was interviewed about it at the end of the week on Icelandic radio and/or television.
BobD
would there be any major advantages in doing a PGCE in cambridge over doing one in a more 'normal' uni?

If thats the teaching qualification i would expect it would mean you can walk into the top private schools (they're not public damn it!).
BJack
Yes, there are certainly some people for whom languages come a lot more easily than others. I recall the story of a man who learned Icelandic to fluency in a week as a challenge and was interviewed about it at the end of the week on Icelandic radio and/or television.

haha come on he was a savante and absolutely amazing (is that how its spelled?).
Reply 94
Chemical_Scum
If thats the teaching qualification i would expect it would mean you can walk into the top private schools (they're not public damn it!).

You still wouldn't be able to walk into top independent schools just because you have a PGCE from Cambridge. It wouldn't necessarily give you any advantage where you got the PGCE from.

Techincally you don't even need a degree to teach in independent schools. Although of course the vast majority do.
Reply 95
Chemical_Scum
haha come on he was a savante and absolutely amazing (is that how its spelled?).

It still demonstrates that some people can learn languages a lot more easily than others, though I will concede that he was a rather exceptional case. But maybe WOLLSMOTH is a savant too? :biggrin:
Reply 96
Because unlike most other universities they are very, very good in all aspects. I mean for example people say Oxford is weak in it's maths but it's still like top 5 in the country, and if that's one of it's weak points just imagine how good it is overall.
Reply 97
Oxford and cambridge have students that work extremely hard (so i have been told), in every subject and sport. They never slack around etc. In my sixth form college you can clearly tell the difference between the hard workers and the people that take it easy. Therefore if everyone works hard, then automatically you will work hard (you will have a good environment) and hence hardwork leads to good grades and future. Other unis do contain extremely bright students however they also contain groups of less hard working/ easy going students.
Reply 98
dopemann
Oxford and cambridge have students that work extremely hard (so i have been told), in every subject and sport. They never slack around etc. In my sixth form college you can clearly tell the difference between the hard workers and the people that take it easy. Therefore if everyone works hard, then automatically you will work hard (you will have a good environment) and hence hardwork leads to good grades and future. Other unis do contain extremely bright students however they also contain groups of less hard working/ easy going students.

I don't think it's necessarily true that Oxbridge students are inherently highly driven people. It's certainly not a prerequisite of getting a place (as I would certainly consider myself something of a slacker yet am going), though it would arguably be an attitude that is somewhat more necessary than in some other places in order to achieve there
Reply 99
well no one realy admits that they work hard

Latest

Trending

Trending