The Student Room Group

which uni considers O-Levels more?

Does oxford or Cambridge consider O-Levels more. i have 4A's 1B 3C's 1D due to changing countries frequently and studying different systems (mainly IB system). i have good predicted grades A*AA-A*A*A* and can write a stellar personal statement along with good references and recommendations. should i give these unis a go? and which one?
O-levels haven't been sat since 1987. Do you mean A-level or GCSEs (the modern day equivalent of O-levels)?

Those GCSEs are low and may make entrance to either university difficult. Generally Oxford places more focus on GCSEs than Cambridge, though by how much depends on the subject. You may want to look into extenuating circumstances when you apply.

Which subject?

Personal statement and references aren't particularly important.
Original post by liverninthered
O-levels haven't been sat since 1987. Do you mean A-level or GCSEs (the modern day equivalent of O-levels)?

Those GCSEs are low and may make entrance to either university difficult. Generally Oxford places more focus on GCSEs than Cambridge, though by how much depends on the subject. You may want to look into extenuating circumstances when you apply.

Which subject?

o-levels still exist in places like pakistan and sri lanka, since OP is talking about travelling a lot it could well be o levels they're talking about.

I'm unsure if A*s are awarded in these either which counts in OP's favour.
(edited 3 years ago)
(If these are O-levels and not GCSEs) Not sure if there's a 1:1 comparison between O-levels and GCSEs, particularly because (as I understand it) A*s aren't awarded and proportions might not compare.

But speaking generally, GCSEs (and assumedly O-levels) are often not an important factor for Cambridge. For some Oxford courses it's a more major factor.

These universities also like to see an upwards academic trajectory, so if it's clear you've turned things around this can count in your favour. (you could get your referee to mention the fact that you've been moving a lot and so on)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
o-levels still exist in places like pakistan and sri lanka, since OP is talking about travelling a lot it could well be o levels they're talking about.

I'm unsure if A*s are awarded in these either which counts in OP's favour.

i am currently in Pakistan. they call it O-Levels here though i'm not sure what's the difference between them and GCSEs. i have moved a lot from Italy to Indonesia to Pakistan which caused me to change my education system a lot. Both websites do say that if you have faced academic hindrances or educational hindrances they will take that into consideration. Do you guys think i should apple? Should i'm also thinking of applying to UCL,LSE,Warwick, Manchester or Kings Do you think i have any chance or am wasting time and money?
Reply 5
Original post by liverninthered

Which subject?

for all universities i want to apply to Economics or Economics and management (OXFORD) or Economics and mathematics or Economics and statistics. Do you think i have any chance or am wasting my time and money? Please see my other reply for other unis i'm considering as well.
Original post by waseeqali
for all universities i want to apply to Economics or Economics and management (OXFORD) or Economics and mathematics or Economics and statistics. Do you think i have any chance or am wasting my time and money? Please see my other reply for other unis i'm considering as well.

Firstly had no idea o levels were a thing elsewhere so ignore most of my first post.I have no idea how those grades will be viewed by either university... possibly they won't pay much attention to them.

E&M is Oxford's most competitive course and Economics at Cam is also competitive. It comes down to this: if you do well on their admission tests and interviews you'll get an offer. You have a chance, yes, but you need to do well on them
Reply 7
i have tried to find the differences between o-Levels and GCSEs/IGCSEs but couldn't find a clear answer. Again i would appreciate more answers as to if i should apply or not because UCAS only has 5 slots and i don't want to waste a single one. There is no set in stone answer for whether or not Oxford considers O-Level grades as much as Cambridge does or not. They both say that they do take certain circumstances in to mind (mine was listed on their website) but i don't know if they'll actually look at it or actually care about my reason.
there's always a chance, I personally feel that Oxford Wadham college is slightly more welcoming than Cambridge - but who knows, until you apply.
As an international student, perhaps you can apply to both?

What you can do , in the meantime, is try some of the previous years entrance exams....if you look carefully on the internet you should find both the questions and the answers, but try at least one economics entrance exam 'cold' as it were. To see how exciting is is.

more info is given here https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/economics
"All students applying to the University of Cambridge for Economics must sit a pre-interview admissions assessment called the Economics Admissions Assessment (ECAA)"

There might be random companies offering you these past exams, offering to help, just give $$$.
here are the answers!, to the 2017 test https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/economics_s1_ak_2017.pdf
I'm sure the 2020 specimen paper is also available) and check Oxford equivalent too
I personally was able to bypass these $$$ sites as I worked through the various different exams, looking for which course was most interesting, a couple of years ago. good luck,
Reply 9
I have relatively low O-Level grades (it's still called o-Levels in Pakistan) But i have a valid reason which is also listed on their website. i moved a lot between countries thus had to change my education system a lot (came from IB system to Cambridge system). i got 4A's 1B 3C's 1D in O-levels. expected for A2 are A*AA_A*A*A* because i've worked very hard to catch up with the students here. can i get in for an Economics degree given that i meet or exceed the requirements and write an amazing personal statement and have amazing references.

Yeah you definitely have a chance. Cambridge places less emphasis on GCSEs (O levels in your case) than Oxford so might make more sense to apply there. Also, for what it's worth, the personal statement, and particularly teacher references, are likely to have minimal impact on your chances of being successful. Unless your PS is actively bad then it is unlikely to have a large bearing on the result of your application.
Reply 10
Original post by J_Harber
Yeah you definitely have a chance. Cambridge places less emphasis on GCSEs (O levels in your case) than Oxford so might make more sense to apply there. Also, for what it's worth, the personal statement, and particularly teacher references, are likely to have minimal impact on your chances of being successful. Unless your PS is actively bad then it is unlikely to have a large bearing on the result of your application.

is this information about oxford true or just a rumor? Oxford does say they consider extenuating circumstances such as mine and they only say to meet the O-Level subject requirements for Math and English which i do.
Reply 11
I thought Cambridge looks at your o levels less since more people I know got interviews at cambridge compared to oxford but I’m not so sure
Reply 12
Does oxford or Cambridge consider O-Levels more. i have 4A's 1B 3C's 1D due to changing countries frequently and studying different systems (mainly IB system). i have good predicted grades A*AA-A*A*A* and can write a stellar personal statement along with good references and recommendations. should i give these unis a go? and which one?

i am currently in Pakistan. they call it O-Levels here though i'm not sure what's the difference between them and GCSEs. i have moved a lot from Italy to Indonesia to Pakistan which caused me to change my education system a lot. Both websites do say that if you have faced academic hindrances or educational hindrances they will take that into consideration. Do you guys think i should apple? Should i'm also thinking of applying to UCL,LSE,Warwick, Manchester or Kings Do you think i have any chance or am wasting time and money?

i have tried to find the differences between o-Levels and GCSEs/IGCSEs but couldn't find a clear answer. Again i would appreciate more answers as to if i should apply or not because UCAS only has 5 slots and i don't want to waste a single one. There is no set in stone answer for whether or not Oxford considers O-Level grades as much as Cambridge does or not. They both say that they do take certain circumstances in to mind (mine was listed on their website) but i don't know if they'll actually look at it or actually care about my reason.

is this information about oxford true or just a rumor? Oxford does say they consider extenuating circumstances such as mine and they only say to meet the O-Level subject requirements for Math and English which i do.

CIE O-Levels are fine.

For Economics at Cambridge the Economics Admissions Assessment and the rest of your application is more important than your O-levels.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics
You can inform Cambridge about your educational "challenges" using their SAQ/COPA when you apply.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/copa

You can also use the Extenuating Circumstances Form
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

For Oxford they do look at your O-levels but the TSA is also important to secure an interview.
https://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/b-a-hons-in-economics-management

Note that Cambridge generally interview a higher proportion of applicants than Oxford.

Also note that both courses are very competitive, but applying to either Cambridge or Oxford (you can't apply to both) is certainly not a wasted choice. But fundamentally pick the course you prefer, not the admissions process.

And other "top" universities are certainly not out of reach either... but check their individual entry requirements to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending