The Student Room Group

alevel chemistry

Can someone help me with this??
why does CH3OH have a higher boiling point compared to CH3NH2 in terms of hydrogen bonding??
ngl i have no idea but ima take a guess that it’s something to do with the molecule being more polar so that the hydrogen atoms have more chance of forming intermolecular ionic hydrogen bonds meaning it takes more energy to break the intermolecular bonds when changing state from liquid to gas and the temperature is higher, but i started as level 3 days ago so don’t trust me
I haven’t done chemistry in very long but I might be able to help. Do you know the types of bonding in each of those compounds?
Oxygen is more electronegative than nitrogen so the resulting hydrogen bonds are much stronger, thus alcohols tend to have a higher boiling point than amines
Original post by nomen552
why does CH3OH have a higher boiling point compared to CH3NH2 in terms of hydrogen bonding??

CH3OH has a hydroxl-group (OH-group) in the molecular structure. It is an alcohol, a molecule that tends to make hydrogen bondings. This functional group has a high polarity in contrast to the amino group (NH2).
Original post by randommedic2
Oxygen is more electronegative than nitrogen so the resulting hydrogen bonds are much stronger, thus alcohols tend to have a higher boiling point than amines

Follow this explanation
Original post by Eaphysics
Follow this explanation

he/she could also explain why it has a higher electronegativity due to its 2 pairs of unbinded electrons and the extra electron in the nucleus
so that bonding pairs experience more attraction
Reply 7
Original post by nofriends557
he/she could also explain why it has a higher electronegativity due to its 2 pairs of unbinded electrons and the extra electron in the nucleus

But, whatever you do, do not explain it like that.

The number of lone pairs is irrelevant and I haven't yet come across a nucleus with electrons in it, but then again maybe there's a Nobel Prize for the discoverer.

This is complete bs. Don’t give people wrong information
Reply 9
Original post by nomen552

Nitrogen is less electronegative then oxygen, therefore the hydrogen bonds created between Methylamine in a solution is weaker then the hydrogen bonds created between Ethanol, so the boiling point would be lower.

https://socratic.org/questions/why-do-amines-generally-have-lower-boiling-points-than-alcohols-of-comparable-mo
This is complete bs. Don’t give people wrong information

thought my information was correct but apparently not how am i wrong?

ah is it because i accidentally put electron in the nucleus when i meant proton whoops sorry

You said there’s an electron in the nucleus
You said there’s an electron in the nucleus

yeah i just noticed when quoting myself, i meant proton but i mean to call it complete bs jeez man
yeah i just noticed when quoting myself, i meant proton but i mean to call it complete bs jeez man

Well it is there’s a big difference. Someone might read that and think it’s correct
Well it is there’s a big difference. Someone might read that and think it’s correct

i mean it wasn’t all wrong oxygen is more electronegative no need to call it complete bs and it’s not like someone doing this work will just take an electron being in the atom as correct because some stranger on the internet said it they’d almost definitely be confused and assume the electron is a mistake could of just corrected the word electron didn’t have to claim everything i said was wrong because in turn that’s almost like you saying oxygen isn’t more electronegative
amines have weaker hydrogen bonds than alcohols due to electronegativity nitrogen is less electronegative than 0 so attracts h less strongly :h:

remember for h-bonding N<O<F !
Reply 17

i checked the mark scheme and this is true as oxygen has more lone pairs so can form more hydrogen bonds compared to the nitrogen which has one lone pair in this example. I didn't understand it at first but now i do. i dont think this explanation will work in all cases though??

Quick Reply

Latest