The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

T kay
I just went over some Maths, I literally can't do anything :frown:.

I've got this hopeless revision guide, I went over vectors, probability, transformations, some graphs, and I understand zilch. God I'm so frustrated I could throw this computer out of my window. I half understand trig and pythagoras but I'm sure that won't come up, being a non-calculator exam.

I'm going to do what you suggested, just do an endless amount of questions. Hopefully I'll know something .

And does anyone think the spec for the maths section is hopeless? It's ten sides and doesn't actually tell you what you need to do! Just some bull about communicating mathmatically etc...

Do you have any GCSE workbooks and more thorough revision guides? Dunno if they'll be of any use but I guess practise helps. I only used the CGP ones back in year 11, but at the moment I'm using this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Student-Book-Pupil-Modular/dp/0007215738

It's not too bad, though quite a chunky book.
Onychophagia
yep, that's the one. Really interesting I thought.

I can recall the debate over the one-child policy that stemmed from it the following day in Biology, and a little for and against siding regarding whether or not governments should be allowed to make such laws. :yep:
bob9001
We're so screwed!

You stand corrected. :laugh:
Undulipodium
Surgery is tempting, but I'm not sure yet...

As I was reading one of the neurophysiology books I flicked to the blurb, and as it transpires it's written by the director of medical sciences at Gonville & Caius :awesome: I didn't mention it on my PS - I felt that would be suicidal/ostensibly sycophantic.

Basically, a complete and utter kiss arse. :rofl:
Then again, they might not realise it's a book by one of them. No wait, it's Cambridge... :indiff:

I'm just glad I did a project thing on neuroimaging, so hopefully it'll help. xD
:p:
Sakujo
Oddly enough physics would really help you with this question.

V is the volume per second, so to get volume you would times by the time T. The volume of the artery is the cross-sec area times the length so you take your result for volume and divide by length. Finally, you need to convert it to standard units so times 10^3. Not too sure on the last bit, I think it's to do with the units being a thousandth too small.

To work out the units, you have to equate the units of each part:

VT/x

=> cm^3 / mm
=> (10mm)^3/mm
=> mm/mm * 10^3
Mask Of Sanity
Basically, a complete and utter kiss arse. :rofl:
Then again, they might not realise it's a book by one of them. No wait, it's Cambridge... :indiff:

Yes essentially :p:

Very glad I found out before I included it in my PS.

A really good book on neurobiol/phys is "An Introduction to Nervous Systems" by Ralph Greenspan (the one I put in my APS, to hopefully get a question on neurophysiology :p:)
Reply 987
Undulipodium
To work out the units, you have to analyse the units of each part:

VT/x

=> cm^3 / mm

=> (10mm)^3/mm
=> mm/mm * 10^3

Where did the cm come from?
Sakujo
Where did the cm come from?

That was the main trap of the units part of the question:

1ml = 1cm^3
Reply 989
Do we need to know how to calculate volume/ area of cones and spheres?
Reply 990
Undulipodium
That was the main trap of the units part of the question:

1ml = 1cm^3

Lol, of course.
Sakujo

Think so:

g) use formulae from mathematics and other subjects [for example, for area of a triangle or
a parallelogram, area enclosed by a circle, volume of a prism, volume of a cone];
substitute numbers into a formula; change the subject of a formula, including cases where
the subject occurs twice, or where a power of the subject appears [for example, find r
given that A = πr2, find x given y = mx + c]; generate a formula [for example, find the
perimeter of a rectangle given its area A and the length l of one side]

The spec is on the website :smile:
Undulipodium

A really good book on neurobiol/phys is "An Introduction to Nervous Systems" by Ralph Greenspan (the one I put in my APS, to hopefully get a question on neurophysiology :p:)

I will be shocked if you don't get into cambridge:wink:
Reply 993
Sakujo

It says so in the spec.
Undulipodium

I wouldn't mind a question on neurology or something somewhat philosophical.

At the moment, I'm reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.

It's not because he has linkage with Cambridge, honest. :tongue:
_Andrew_
I will be shocked if you don't get into cambridge:wink:

Merci :h:

I was just thinking that everyone in this thread bar me will :p:

My UMS are a fair whack below average due to abominable revision practices (so I'm hoping that a good BMAT would matter more than UMS).
This thread makes me feel so underprepared ! :frown:
Mask Of Sanity
I wouldn't mind a question on neurology or something somewhat philosophical.

At the moment, I'm reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.

It's not because he has linkage with Cambridge, honest. :tongue:

If I haven't paper-cut myself to death by the time I've finished my reading list, I'll give it a spin.

Not just Cambridge... Caius :teehee:
Reply 998
Mask Of Sanity
Do you have any GCSE workbooks and more thorough revision guides? Dunno if they'll be of any use but I guess practise helps. I only used the CGP ones back in year 11, but at the moment I'm using this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Student-Book-Pupil-Modular/dp/0007215738

It's not too bad, though quite a chunky book.

I'm using the CGP higher book. Oh my god, turning those pages brings back painful memories. I've got a separate CGP question book which I'm going to look into tomorrow. I haven't got one of those chunky books, I could do with one of those as it'll explain things better. And I need to be put through step by step by step. My maths is really bad :yes:

That said, I'm not as frustrated as I was a few hours earlier. I managed to half-do probability, frequency diagrams, cumulative frequency, basically all the handling data section.

How I'll get through algebra, geometry and graphs I don't know.

Which BMAT uni you applying to btw?
Reply 999
bob9001
This thread makes me feel so underprepared ! :frown:

Tell me about it, I've yet to read a medical book.

Latest

Trending

Trending