Is this too sensitive to include in my personal statement?

Watch
SZ159
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am applying for Law and I have had a fitting incident in my life in regards to Law. Without getting into any details, my family had some issues personally and I had to defend a family member in court by doing a speech to the judge, I was the age of 15 at this time and since I was a witness I was advised to give a statement which I willingly chose to do. The judge in his statement claimed that my argument was compelling. I would include this in my PS but I am not sure if I should, it is a unique situation but a sensitive one. I don’t have any advisers as I am on a gap year so any help would be appreciated, thank you
YouCantSeeMe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No experience in law, but from my own in finance- talking about your personal challenges is a good way to show who you are and why this matters to you more than the next person. Use it to show why, you are passionate, why you are keen and what lessons it taught you. I would touch on it briefly but avoid make it a ‘Britain’s Got Talent sob story’ as they may think it’s overdoing it.
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes you should include it.
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes like the above, if you can write it smartly and eloquently- you should be helped by it.

Be as smart as you can be.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SZ159)
I am applying for Law and I have had a fitting incident in my life in regards to Law. Without getting into any details, my family had some issues personally and I had to defend a family member in court by doing a speech to the judge, I was the age of 15 at this time and since I was a witness I was advised to give a statement which I willingly chose to do. The judge in his statement claimed that my argument was compelling. I would include this in my PS but I am not sure if I should, it is a unique situation but a sensitive one. I don’t have any advisers as I am on a gap year so any help would be appreciated, thank you
You could mention it very briefly but remember the point of the personal statement is to show why you are a good candidate for studying law as an academic subject for 3 years - so mainly just focus on your interest in studying law and anything relevant to that.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SZ159)
Remember that law is an academic subject - it's not teaching you to be a solicitor or barrister. You could include it briefly but it must have an academic focus (as harrysbar said)
SZ159
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you everyone for the advice, I’ll try my best apply it correctly in my personal statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads