The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm fluent in Dutch and German (Dutch more so), had French for 8 years and am now doing English (as a foreign language) and German (also) in my first year of uni.
Reply 101
Where are you from ModernHippie?
Reply 102
Now I'm studying French, Spanish(Euro), and Portuguese(Euro), then going on a high school year abroad to Portugal! So after that Spanish and Italian wont take much time to learn.

Later on I'd like to learn: Modern Greek, German, and Modern Hebrew!

Total, that's...7! And I plan to be fluent in all of these by the time that I'm done with uni! Planning LOTS of time spent abroad!!! Probobly around a decade. I'll start Hebrew after uni though, because I can move there and get citizenship there(cause I'm jewish :cool:) so I've got plenty of time for that!
currently fluent in chinese and english, soon to start norwegian, swedish and possibly take up french again
Fleece
Where are you from ModernHippie?

Belgium. :smile:
Im doing spanish, portuguese, french and catalan, which i love to pieces. i did latin gcse and ancient greek at school, and although i dont remember much, i think the stuff i did then still helps me a lot now. i want to pick up italian, just because, and modern greek because of a number of things, and german, because i want to work at euro 2008 in austria and switzerland! i have also learnt random welsh phrases from a welsh housemate. i love the sound of welsh, and i had (no, have) an obsession with some welsh people, so would love to learn it. people tell me i'm overdoing the languages thing but i dont care really.
I want to learn Catalan SO much!! How do you find it in comparison to Spanish. I also did ancient greek and latin, I found they helped too but I prefer modern languages!
leannemann
I want to learn Catalan SO much!! How do you find it in comparison to Spanish

its really like spanish, but then it lulls you into a false sense of security and you say something in spanish with a catalan accent and its completely wrong. but for the most part its not difficult, its kind of like a french/spanish/portuguese/italian hybrid, but still it is quite unique. there are things which are hard to grasp, like there are two different constructions for IR verbs, and there is no system for knowing which verb follows which system, and then there are things which are really simple. the vocab is quite similar to other languages, its easy to guess, they are like shortened spanish words, but there are completely unrelated words as well. the spelling is mostly straightforward, and once you know the rules making words feminine/plural is simple. but its not a hard language to pick up, especially if you have a background in romance languages. my lessons were entirely in catalan from the very beginning (mainly because my teacher cant speak english very well!), even complex grammar, but still we all understood and did pretty well! i think its a cool language, for some reason the way things are spelt and spoken are really attractive to me.
Reply 108
catalan is closest to portuguese in my experience with it. then to french. i think that catalan is a really cool language! it's sad that it's probobly going to dissapear in the next couple generations though... :frown:
Reply 109
ModernHippie
Belgium. :smile:

Cool :smile: my sister is living in Leuven next year for her year abroad at uni.
JakeR
catalan is closest to portuguese in my experience with it. then to french. i think that catalan is a really cool language! it's sad that it's probobly going to dissapear in the next couple generations though... :frown:

no no no, this is false! it is a thriving language! and i have been told that it is the 9th most spoken language in the EU...
I would love to learn Catalan to look at the syntax & lexis in comparison to other languages but it doesn't really appeal to me in the sense that I think it will hugely improved my career prospects!
I mean no offense by this: but what use is catalan, unless you live or work in catalunya or occitaine? I speak its closely related partner: Valencià and always get funny looks when I tell people I speak it. I know Català is an official language of the EU, and will help to learn other latin based languages..... but?
Other than that, I'm still working on English, Spanish, German, French, Valencià, Dutch and Russian(phrases), as I think that a language is mastered but never fully 100% known.
I would like to learn Catalan to compare it to other languages as I said above. As I also said above, I think career prospects are not really improved by learning it. Perhaps people want to do it because they enjoy it, who cares if people look at you?!
Reply 114
wow you guys do so many. I cant wait to catch up :biggrin:
ive just finished high school and going to college and currently studying French and picking up Spanish in Sept (gcse in 1 year, a+as level in 2nd year)
when i go to Uni i wanna maybe pick up Italian/Chinese/Japanese
and when im older i want to learn Gaelic...just cos im half irish..seems like a big challenge and i love challenges :biggrin: :wink:
Woah, GCSE and AS/A Level in a year sounds crazy, but then I realised that it's what I'm doing only in Italian! Although I'm not sure if there's actually an exam board that does Italian :s-smilie:. Then I'm going to learn Portugeuse because I don't think I want to learn German as I'd rather stick to Romance languages. Also if I go to Newcastle uni (which I don't really want to do) I'd probably learn Chinese becuase they don't do Italian. Spanish rules btw! Good choice!
Goldenratio
I mean no offense by this: but what use is catalan, unless you live or work in catalunya or occitaine? I speak its closely related partner: Valencià and always get funny looks when I tell people I speak it. I know Català is an official language of the EU, and will help to learn other latin based languages..... but?
Other than that, I'm still working on English, Spanish, German, French, Valencià, Dutch and Russian(phrases), as I think that a language is mastered but never fully 100% known.

i dont think it actually is officially an EU language yet, it has semi-official status, like galego and euskara. however, it is spoken by millions of people, more people than the scandinavian languages, and i think about the same number as portuguese (within europe) and greek.

as for the funny looks, that kind of thing doesnt bother me.

what use is catalan? well, thats like saying what use is studying dutch if you aint gonna live in the netherlands. i chose to study it because i do like my romance languages, and as i learn it i love it more and more. whether it is useful or not, i think it depends on what you want to do. i may well want to live in catalunya in a couple of years, and i am going there for six months in 2006, so it definitely will be useful for me. and it is a growing language, its not dying out, and i reckon it will see a growth like welsh did. i think regional identity is still important to the catalan people, and the language is such an intrinsic part of this identity that i doubt it will disappear. but i think their bilingualism is very important also. and if and when it does eventually get official status, there will be loads of jobs created for people with a knowledge of catalan, i reckon. the spanish government paid for the three regional languages to become semi-official in the EU, and this shows that they are actively supporting and protecting them, so they wont vanish. plus, it is the language of the most beautiful city in the world, and one of europes greatest football teams, so if speaking it increases my chances of getting a job there, excellent.
Well said. That is pretty much what I wanted to say, only expressed with much more care!
For anyone who likes romance languages, romanian is a must. I only know some bits of it, but its such a cool language and very different.
Reply 119
Richy Rich$$
For anyone who likes romance languages, romanian is a must. I only know some bits of it, but its such a cool language and very different.

Isn't Romanian supposed to be the living language which is closest to Latin?

Latest

Trending

Trending