The Student Room Group

Should I apply for (Msc) Finance and Investment? Uni of Bristol

Hi,

I am currently going into my final year at Bristol uni, studying History. I have always been interested in finance, having taken Economics at A-level (obviously not the same, but there is some overlap). Over lockdown I've immersed myself in the world of finance, studying concepts ranging from investment research, to advanced hedging strategies.

My goal is to go into asset management after university. I've just completed some work experience at a purely quantitative FinTech company, which uses a model to help macro hedge fund managers gain a market advantage across different asset classes. I'll be applying for internships in asset management next year (I know you're meant to take them in your penultimate year but I've been allowed exception).

I have not studied maths since GCSE, but I believe my passion for finance would carry me through even the most arduous of mathematical problems; I'd be willing to invest a massive amount of time into practising my maths.

To apply for a Finance and Investment masters at Bristol uni, you are required to have done a quantitative undergraduate degree (e.g. economics, engineering, maths etc...), which obviously history is not. My lack of Maths A-level could also be a slight problem.

I would however be able to speak to the Finance department at my university, and explain to them my drive and work ethic, hopefully letting them see past my lack of maths qualification.

My question is, would the type of maths I'd have to do on this masters course be too difficult for me given my level of maths? Would I struggle so severely that it wouldn't be worth me doing?

Link to course specification: https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/university-of-bristol/52375486/postgraduate-course.htm

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you so much!
Well you don't meet their entry requirements of 65+ in a quantitative subject so I highly doubt it. They tend not to be very flexible when considering candidates that don't meet their standards.

Having not done maths since GCSE is surely going to prevent them letting you in. The real question is why would you want to do a masters course that would let candidates with your level of maths ability in? Although the maths in an MSc finance and investment is less than a master's in quantitative finance or in economics or a finance masters from a target uni, it's not the sort of maths you can pick up in a few weeks. I'm not quite sure why you think talking to them about your 'drive and work ethic' would change anything 😅 anybody could say that lol. Plus some quant work experience during undergrad study is not a substitute for formal mathematics, you'll be doing academic maths rather than maths used in the field.

If that sounds too harsh I apologise but I think most would agree. However I can also bring a solution which would be to do the postgraduate diploma in economics and then after that you could apply to any economics/finance/investment masters course you want.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BenRyan99
Well you don't meet their entry requirements of 65+ in a quantitative subject so I highly doubt it. They tend not to be very flexible when considering candidates that don't meet their standards.

Having not done maths since GCSE is surely going to prevent them letting you in. The real question is why would you want to do a masters course that would let candidates with your level of maths ability in? Although the maths in an MSc finance and investment is less than a master's in quantitative finance or in economics or a finance masters from a target uni, it's not the sort of maths you can pick up in a few weeks. I'm not quite sure why you think talking to them about your 'drive and work ethic' would change anything 😅 anybody could say that lol. Plus some quant work experience during undergrad study is not a substitute for formal mathematics, you'll be doing academic maths rather than maths used in the field.

If that sounds too harsh I apologise but I think most would agree. However I can also bring a solution which would be to do the postgraduate diploma in economics and then after that you could apply to any economics/finance/investment masters course you want.

Thanks for the advice, you’ve brought great insight. I reckon your suggestion to do a diploma is a good call - I’ll look into that.

Thanks a lot!
Original post by MergerArbitrage
Thanks for the advice, you’ve brought great insight. I reckon your suggestion to do a diploma is a good call - I’ll look into that.

Thanks a lot!

No worries, the PGD in economics is basically like an express course in undergrad economics all done in one year. Normally institutions allow people from any background to enter given a 2.1 in their respective degrees. Often if you get a certain mark they'll guarantee you entry to their MSc Economics, MSc Economics and Finance or MSc Finance and Investment courses so if you want, you can pick to do the PGD at the university you want to do your masters at which makes things easier.

I know that birkbeck is really well known for this course but some don't like it because of their overall rankings and older student population. Alternatively most decent Russell group unis offer them too like Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Cambridge, LSE, etc.
Original post by BenRyan99
No worries, the PGD in economics is basically like an express course in undergrad economics all done in one year. Normally institutions allow people from any background to enter given a 2.1 in their respective degrees. Often if you get a certain mark they'll guarantee you entry to their MSc Economics, MSc Economics and Finance or MSc Finance and Investment courses so if you want, you can pick to do the PGD at the university you want to do your masters at which makes things easier.

I know that birkbeck is really well known for this course but some don't like it because of their overall rankings and older student population. Alternatively most decent Russell group unis offer them too like Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Cambridge, LSE, etc.

Sounds perfect for what I’m looking for. Thanks again for your help! I’ll do some more research, a PGD at LSE sounds ideal! One can always dream...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending