The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SpyMaster

P.S. Those chairs (Arne Jakobsen again) are stronger than they look.

They bloody better be. The two chairs in our rooms cost £300 and £600 if you break them!!!!
Reply 41
teamvillage
You base your idea of 4 years of happiness on a picture of some concrete :rolleyes:

I hate concrete! Most of where i come from is concrete - need a change - limestone looks cooler :wink:
Reply 42
Odd Senex
Am I the only person who thinks Catz looks kinda purty? Everyone I've spoken to seems to think it looks awful... Don't worry Catz, I still love you! :smile:

I agree. I think it looks quite striking. Incidentally, I'm sure I was told by some at Catz that the architect killed himself because he thought the world wasn't rectangular enough.

Anyway, plenty of reasons to choose Catz - nice atmosphere, good location for lectures etc but not tourists, quite good food / bar etc. I didn't go there myself though - I went to LMH
Reply 43
Phil23
I hate concrete! Most of where i come from is concrete - need a change - limestone looks cooler :wink:

Shut your eyes when you walk past Katie Lee and Sutherland, then. :rolleyes:

Oh, and shut your eyes when crossing roads. :wink:
(Only kidding)
Reply 44
I did an open application thinking that all the oxford colleges were all much of a muchness- what a suprise i had when I got to St Catz! REally grew on me by the end of the interview period though- i did wonder whether all the rooms were as small as mine though.....is that the case? never did work out the blinds- can you actually roll them up at all?

just need to work now to get the grades...really looking forward to it though
Reply 45
So I've got an offer for next year from Oxford St Catz too! I'm obviously thrilled to get into Oxford and I'm not whining (promise!) I know what a privelege it is to be offered a place! But I didn't apply to St Catz and only spent a frighteningly dreary 1/2 hour there when I went for interview! I'd never seen (or heard of!) St Catz before and was rather put off by my 1/2 hour there (although I do kno I can't really comment on how my 3 years will be after 1/2 an hour!)... Let's put it this way, it's not what I imagined signing up for - I'm a dreamy spires kinda girl, and after having been at a really brutal modern school for 11 years I was in the market for something achingly traditional! I'm accepting the offer, but I was hoping I could glean some words of wisdom from you Oxfordites as I'm feeling rather wobbly about St Catz :ahhhhh: :ahhhhh: :ahhhhh: What's it's reputation? Any Catz info would be greatly appreciated for steadying my nerves lol!
What subject/original college, Ophelia?

Also, everything looks worse in the rain
Reply 47
Ophelia
Let's put it this way, it's not what I imagined signing up for - I'm a dreamy spires kinda girl, and after having been at a really brutal modern school for 11 years I was in the market for something achingly traditional!

I got put into Catz from the open application system- i thought poo when i got there- same thoughts as you- scaffolding didn't help though i'm sure- looks quite snazzy in the summer, or so I am told- anyway it seems foolish to judge a place purely on asthetics- its the people and your course that make the Uni experince what it is, I should imagine. It does have bonuses though- apparently its the only college that they really cannot lock up! right on the river etc. etc.

If you really don't like it I daresay that you could make some friends over at Magdalen and sit on their lawns...

p.s What course?
Reply 48
not judging purely on aesthetics, I assure you - jst naturally prefer that sort of thing! I'm sure it'll be great, jst wanted some advice on what the college was like as I only spent a few minutes there!
Reply 49
Ophelia
to put it simply -

arty girl/arty subject + originally applied to central mini-castle-esque college + St. Catz = :ahhhhh:!!!

English? :p:
My sister is at St Catz and she loves it!
Don't worry about it.
Trust me. Catz is fab :smile:

1st year rooms are faily small, but it gets better :smile:

And yeah, the blinds don't roll up. Rather silly!
Ophelia
not judging purely on aesthetics, I assure you - jst naturally prefer that sort of thing! I'm sure it'll be great, jst wanted some advice on what the college was like as I only spent a few minutes there!

Ooh Yay, that makes four UKL Catz people! I'm sure we'll have a good time even without the dreaming spires - aftera all, a pint is only 74p in the college bar!!
Me - Music
Odd Sennex - Law?
Ophelia - English?
Defec8t -Languages?
Reply 53
magicalsausage
Ooh Yay, that makes four UKL Catz people! I'm sure we'll have a good time even without the dreaming spires - aftera all, a pint is only 74p in the college bar!!
Me - Music
Odd Sennex - Law?
Ophelia - English?
Defec8t -Languages?

Woops. I typed that :hello: . I was logged in as my brother (magicalsausage) by mistake...
Reply 54
I bumped into two music chaps at the interviews- one who was about to practice his trumpet in the music room, and a top chap from Wales- where you either of them by any chance?
Reply 55
magicalsausage
Me - Music
Odd Sennex - Law?
Ophelia - English?
Defec8t -Languages?

Um ... music at St Catz. Have you just changed your username or are you not cara then?

Edit: oops, read the next post before you say something stupid :rolleyes: Oh well, I look forward to meeting you - Helen's been saying how wonderful you are :p:
Reply 56
oxymoron
Um ... music at St Catz. Have you just changed your username or are you not cara then?

Edit: oops, read the next post before you say something stupid :rolleyes: Oh well, I look forward to meeting you - Helen's been saying how wonderful you are :p:

You going to St Catz too then?
Reply 57
defec8ing
You going to St Catz too then?

No, I'm at lincoln but have just heard about Cara through a friend at Hertford :smile:
Reply 58
magicalsausage
Me - Music
Odd Sennex - Law?
Ophelia - English?
Defec8t -Languages?

I'm PPE, couldn't do law, I've got too many morals :wink:
Defec8t, I have a feeling I met you briefly at interview, perchance you go to PGS?
Reply 59
Odd Senex
They are a reasonable size, well heated, and although they aren't en suite,
I think a fair number of them do have en suites. My brother had one in both his first and third year (living out for 2nd).
I think his 1st year was luck (after renovations he moved into one with en suite) but 3rd year he specified he wanted one which is great, but it means he has to move all his stuff out for the holidays when the rooms are rented to businessmen etc, whereas his friend doesn't have an en suite because she wanted a room she could keep her belongings in all year.

Amrad
- Accomadation for all three years

Not sure that's a certaintly for everyone. I think a lot of people have to live out for their 2nd year. Might be wrong of course.

Odd Senex
I'm PPE,

Heh, my brother also does PPE at Catz.

Latest

Trending

Trending