The Student Room Group

Cambridge Gap Year

Hi guys! I was looking into taking a gap year between my last year of school and starting uni- I know a lot of Unis let you apply with a deferral so you have a secured place during your gap year. Does anyone know if you can make a deferral application for Cambridge to start the following academic year? I have researched this but I am getting a lot of different answers, like you can only with an accepted application, you must specify in your application or it’s not possible at all. I’m not sure if the colleges differ on gap years from others regarding if you can take one or not (I’m looking into going to Kings, Queens or St Cats if that helps) If anyone has any info that would be amazing, thanks! (:
I applied for deferred entry to cambridge, got in, and just finished my first year of Phys Natural Sciences
They asked me about it in my interview but I told them my reasoning and plans and they seemed very positive about it. The only subject I could think would be problematic would be maths, but even then not necessarily. If you want to know more let me know :smile:
Original post by EKBH
Hi guys! I was looking into taking a gap year between my last year of school and starting uni- I know a lot of Unis let you apply with a deferral so you have a secured place during your gap year. Does anyone know if you can make a deferral application for Cambridge to start the following academic year? I have researched this but I am getting a lot of different answers, like you can only with an accepted application, you must specify in your application or it’s not possible at all. I’m not sure if the colleges differ on gap years from others regarding if you can take one or not (I’m looking into going to Kings, Queens or St Cats if that helps) If anyone has any info that would be amazing, thanks! (:

Hi! I’m at queens and at least pre covid it was definitely known as a gap year college! so lots of people i know there have done one- same with catz i dont know about the reputation but def know people there who deferred. not sure about kings but most seem ok with it just some of the more prestigious ones can get a bit odd with these things so maybe chrck with the admissions office :smile:
i'm not sure, but does someone at Kings, Queens or St Cats know?
Reply 4
Thanks so much! Would you recommend Queens? It is probably the one I'm considering most at the minute. Im trying to look for a college with a bit more balance between social life and work load
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I’m at queens and at least pre covid it was definitely known as a gap year college! so lots of people i know there have done one- same with catz i dont know about the reputation but def know people there who deferred. not sure about kings but most seem ok with it just some of the more prestigious ones can get a bit odd with these things so maybe chrck with the admissions office :smile:

I had no idea there were perceived prestigious colleges in Cambridge. Wow.
Original post by EKBH

Remember that if it's maths you want to study, it's not a good idea to apply with a deferred application
Reply 7
Remember that if it's maths you want to study, it's not a good idea to apply with a deferred application

Hi, thanks for the advice. I’m hoping for history and politics so luckily a deferral wouldn’t be too disruptive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending