The Student Room Group

Gcse literature

hello ive got mocks for English literature coming up and i don't know how to structure or write anything and its so hard . ive told my teachers but they are useless any tips of how to improve the literature and how to write good structured paragraph's please , thank you
Can you send an example essay you’ve written? I don’t know what texts you’re studying, but it’ll be easier to give you tips if I can see what level your work is at already.
Make it flow use connectives and link back to the previous sentence.

Use high end subject terminology e.g.
monosyllabic word or metaphor.

In your essay analyse the quote, affect of the audience and WHY THE WRITER DOES IT I put that in capitals because it gets you marks. Include context where you can.

Use words like deliberately, purposely, effectively etc.

Bring in your own ideas about the authors language.

Include at least one stage direction if it’s a play

Try include 4/5 in depth points

If you know where the quote is roughly in the play/book put it in e.g. at the beginning Mr Birling highlights the... this won’t get you tonnes of marks but it might pick 1 or 2 up even better if you can analyse the structure.

I got a 7 doing this in my an inspector calls essay. Hope it helped
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sakura_23
Can you send an example essay you’ve written? I don’t know what texts you’re studying, but it’ll be easier to give you tips if I can see what level your work is at already.

hi yes im currently working on a 3 but I've been predicted 5 and 6s , we are studying Macbeth . If you could give me some time if i cant find a essay ive writen, i will write one using a past paper question and post it to you thank you so much
Reply 4
Original post by Newyorkiscool
Make it flow use connectives and link back to the previous sentence.

Use high end subject terminology e.g.
monosyllabic word or metaphor.

In your essay analyse the quote, affect of the audience and WHY THE WRITER DOES IT I put that in capitals because it gets you marks. Include context where you can.

Use words like deliberately, purposely, effectively etc.

Bring in your own ideas about the authors language.

Include at least one stage direction if it’s a play

Try include 4/5 in depth points

If you know where the quote is roughly in the play/book put it in e.g. at the beginning Mr Birling highlights the... this won’t get you tonnes of marks but it might pick 1 or 2 up even better if you can analyse the structure.

I got a 7 doing this in my an inspector calls essay. Hope it helped

thank you very much i do appreciate it :smile:
Original post by waqyyy
hi yes im currently working on a 3 but I've been predicted 5 and 6s , we are studying Macbeth . If you could give me some time if i cant find a essay ive writen, i will write one using a past paper question and post it to you thank you so much

That’s fine, I’m not studying Macbeth but I will do my best to help, but it’s unlikely to be very closely linked to your text, more what a good essay looks like overall.
Also, do you have anything on your set novel? I’m doing Pride and Prejudice and did Of Mice and Men last year, so these’ll be easier for me to help with than Macbeth, but don’t worry if not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending