The Student Room Group

Forensic science btec or english a level?

Hai all.
I am struggling choosing between forensic science btec and a level english. I know they are 2 completely different subjects but i am hoping to choose one of them to replace Philosophy and Ethics- i find it too confusing and hard to understand. I am okay in english, however i do not like reading at all- but it links to my other subjects ( Sociology and health and social care). I am good in science, however i don’t really want to study 2 btecs as i believe is not valued on most universities. i don’t know what to do in university yet but i am hoping to go down the law root.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Reply 1
Original post by ConfuffledChild
Hai all.
I am struggling choosing between forensic science btec and a level english. I know they are 2 completely different subjects but i am hoping to choose one of them to replace Philosophy and Ethics- i find it too confusing and hard to understand. I am okay in english, however i do not like reading at all- but it links to my other subjects ( Sociology and health and social care). I am good in science, however i don’t really want to study 2 btecs as i believe is not valued on most universities. i don’t know what to do in university yet but i am hoping to go down the law root.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I am unsure as to the situation in the Uk, but here in the states, an English degree is nearly impossible to 'sell' - unless you want to teach English. If you do, you will find the pay is abysmal!! Things like 'English teachers' are expected to be supported by their spouses - not be independently supportable. It costs much more than anyone would reasonably expect to live independently. Take what you think a reasonable salary would be and quadruple it, and you will be about at the 1/4 point of what it will cost you to live independently.

A mate of mine's kids all did electrical engineering degrees [their dad is an EE - so am i]. One of the kids decided that he didn't want to be an engineer, so he went back to law school [here in the states, law is a graduate degree]. The kid told me that in the first 4 law firms that he worked for [this was over a period of years], that he only encountered ONE other lawyer who had a 'hard science' degree. The rest of them had all done English or History. The first firm he worked for was doing patent law. One of their major clients was 'Comsat' - the satellite communications company. His first month there, the partner managing the Comsat contract, and the 'partner wanna-be' were going up to see the customer, and they decided to take the 'kid' along to add to his experience. After meeting the execs, they were turned over to the 'worker bees'. The working types started trying to explain error correction coding to the lawyers. Me mate's son, seeing an opportunity, asked: "Oh, you mean a rate 1/2, non-systematic convolutional code"?? [This is the correct 'jargon' by the way] The Comsatters, startled, said: "OH!! Why YES!!" The real lawyers hadn't any idea what language they were speaking. At the time, i was doing my masters degree [in Electrical Engineering] at a D.C. uni, and had just finished the course on error correction coding. The kid had asked me a few nights before to 'teach me something about error correction coding'. I spent 2 nights pouring everything i knew into him with a funnel! The lawyers had intended to spend 2 hours at Comsat. They arrived at 9 am, and finally left at 7:30 PM. When they arrived back at the law firm - they had a note from the head Comsatter, to the effect that they wanted the kid put on the contract, because: "He's the only one of you guys we can talk to"!! A few years and law firms later, the kid was making about $240,000. I could live on that!! Apparently, the combination of a technical degree [like engineering] with law is extremely unusual, and pays very well. A medicine [MD] degree also pays very well [due to the need for malpractice lawsuits].

Best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest