The Student Room Group

I want to go to university but i dont meet entry requirements.

Im 18 years old in my last year of college. In my first year i did business and games design BTEC. I had no idea what i actually wanted to do. I didnt care about what grades i got as i wasnt interested. Now in my second year i want to study computer science at uni (requires MMM btec or CCB a level). I am now only doing 1 btec as i couldnt continue with business. I got a pass for all asignments in my first year of games dev, can i change this around and be able to get into uni?
Reply 1
Depends on the threshold of how many UCAS points you can wrack up by the end of the year. Tally up the number you have as of right now, calculate how many more there are to get & aim to get them. If you haven't managed to achieve the number or can't with the projected sum of UCAS points, I suggest doing another year in college in a course that follows a similar curriculum. If you can however, I suggest looking deeply into what it is you're looking at working toward & working as hard as you can to achieve your goal.
Reply 2
Comp Sci at many Unis requires A level Maths or a high GCSE Maths grade.

Check the entry requirements on course pages on range of different Uni websites.
If it isnt clear if your BTEC is accepted, just email the Uni and ask.
Original post by erayera
Im 18 years old in my last year of college. In my first year i did business and games design BTEC. I had no idea what i actually wanted to do. I didnt care about what grades i got as i wasnt interested. Now in my second year i want to study computer science at uni (requires MMM btec or CCB a level). I am now only doing 1 btec as i couldnt continue with business. I got a pass for all asignments in my first year of games dev, can i change this around and be able to get into uni?

Getting a pass throughout your whole fist year would make it difficult but if you get the best grades possible throughout the second year will really help you.

I recommend asking your teacher for a resubmission on your assignment if you don’t get a distinction as this give you up to 3 weeks to work on it and give it back in.
Reply 4
I am in year 13 (second year of college), i didnt care about what subjects i chose at college because i didnt know what i wanted to do, i wasnt dumb in school i just didnt really care about my future at uni / college. I am now doing 2 btecs that wont help me to get into university. However this year i realised i messed up massively and decided i wanted to do computer science at uni as thats what i have interest and knowledge in. How can i fix this and be able to get the correct qualifications without needing to spend another 2 years at college? I need to get 3 A levels with grade ABB or btec DDM which i am unable to get by the end of this year.
Reply 5
I am in my final year of college (year 2) and i no longer want to do criminology / forensics at university. I dont know what to do as i now really want to do Computer science, this is what i originally wanted to do but changed my mind and regret it. The courses i am doing currently wont allow me to get into the uni course for computer science. What are all the options i have?
Reply 6
Original post by erayera
I am in year 13 (second year of college), i didnt care about what subjects i chose at college because i didnt know what i wanted to do, i wasnt dumb in school i just didnt really care about my future at uni / college. I am now doing 2 btecs that wont help me to get into university. However this year i realised i messed up massively and decided i wanted to do computer science at uni as thats what i have interest and knowledge in. How can i fix this and be able to get the correct qualifications without needing to spend another 2 years at college? I need to get 3 A levels with grade ABB or btec DDM which i am unable to get by the end of this year.

I think either you can go private and revise your self and do the exams yourself so that would mean that you would have to pay for it if you didn’t want to go back to skl for the 2 years or you could do a level 4 with the experince you have from doing your 2 other btec so then you’d move onto a level 5/6 for degree apreenteship in computer science
Reply 7
Original post by bethany145
I think either you can go private and revise your self and do the exams yourself so that would mean that you would have to pay for it if you didn’t want to go back to skl for the 2 years or you could do a level 4 with the experince you have from doing your 2 other btec so then you’d move onto a level 5/6 for degree apreenteship in computer science

Thanks for the advice, i checked how much it would cost for 3 a levels, they are about £3,000 does that seem reasonable?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by erayera
I am in my final year of college (year 2) and i no longer want to do criminology / forensics at university. I dont know what to do as i now really want to do Computer science, this is what i originally wanted to do but changed my mind and regret it. The courses i am doing currently wont allow me to get into the uni course for computer science. What are all the options i have?

What qualifications / subjects are you studying right now?

If you had to choose between spending an additional year at college to study a more appropriate subject, taking a "with Foundation Year" degree, or going to a "weaker" uni, which would you opt for? (These might not all be viable options; it depends on your answer to the "What qualifications / subjects are you studying right now?" question above.)
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
What qualifications / subjects are you studying right now?

If you had to choose between spending an additional year at college to study a more appropriate subject, taking a "with Foundation Year" degree, or going to a "weaker" uni, which would you opt for? (These might not all be viable options; it depends on your answer to the "What qualifications / subjects are you studying right now?" question above.)

im doing criminology and forensics btec. these are not subjects accepted by unis for computer science. i did quite bad in my first year and not sure if i can even get good enough grades to do a foundation year for comp sci. if i wanted to get my 3 required a levels wouldnt i need to spend another 2 years at college?
Please be careful about posting multiple threads each with a bit more info.

McGinger’s advice in this one was sound.

You don’t necessarily need to take 3 AL’s. Just contact unis and find out what combination you’d need to be considered along with your BTECs. The key thing is GCSE or AL Maths requirements as that will limit the most choices for COMPSCI.
What is it about CS that is appealing to you?

It’s a strange leap from practical BTECs to a theory heavy degree like CS.

Are you thinking of a specific career or job post-degree?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by erayera
im doing criminology and forensics btec. these are not subjects accepted by unis for computer science. i did quite bad in my first year and not sure if i can even get good enough grades to do a foundation year for comp sci. if i wanted to get my 3 required a levels wouldnt i need to spend another 2 years at college?

By "criminology and forensics btec" do you mean "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Forensic and Criminal Investigation"? This is a single qualification worth the equivalent of three A levels. Does that sound like what you're studying?

Or does the fact that you then use the word "subjects" (plural) suggest that you're studying two separate qualifications, one being "criminology" and one being "forensics". If so, what is the full title of each of these qualifications? (You can see the list of all BTEC subjects here; it's easier if you click the "expand all" link.)

You do have options, but they rely on us getting complete and accurate information from you. For example, the University of Westminster offers a Computer Science with Foundation BSc (Hons) for which they require "BTEC Extended Diploma MPP". They make no mention of what subject that BTEC need be in. However, (a) you'd want to contact their admission team to confirm, and (b) this only applies if you're actually taking a BTEC Extended Diploma, which is not clear right now.
Original post by erayera

Computer science courses often require Maths A level. There are some universities that will accept you without A levels but require set grades at GCSE,

Looking at your sixth form subjects I suspect you are taking a BTEC in Forensic science which is probably classed as an Applied Science BTEC and a WJEC level 3 in criminology. Some top universities wont accept this as equivalent to A level.

In terms of your options you might find some universities who will accept you for CS but you will need set GCSE grades in Maths .CS is a very mathematical course so it might be worth you thinking about it. I list a number of universities that dont require A level Maths for CS courses.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Original post by erayera
Thanks for the advice, i checked how much it would cost for 3 a levels, they are about £3,000 does that seem reasonable?

It really depends on your financial status right now if you can do that then go ahead
Original post by erayera

You could look at courses with a foundation year like this one for instance only requires 48 UCAS points which is totally doable.
Original post by jonathanemptage
You could look at courses with a foundation year like this one for instance only requires 48 UCAS points which is totally doable.

Exactly. OP has convinced themselves that they don't have the right qualifications / grades to meet the entry requirements for any Computer Science degree, when that almost certainly isn't the case. They've decided that taking 3 A levels is the only option for them. It is not.
Original post by erayera

You sjj hi hold have a look at online colleges if you would like to do the subjects in 1 year, there are countless courses available:

https://oxbridgehomelearning.uk

This is what I will be doing in year 13.
Original post by erayera

erayera
If you weren't to get the number of UCAS tariff points you need you would be a prime candidate for a Access to HE Diploma in Computing, which has grown in popularity over the last few years (some pathways such as Nursing and Midwifery and Social Sciences have had a slump in numbers). Access is a one year program to fast track people into Uni who are 19 plus, and the course would effectively be free (of sorts) as you would be entitled to an Advanced Learner Loan which is written off when you complete your degree down the line. They would also help with your UCAS application, keep this one up your sleeve to speak to the careers advisor at your college

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending