The Student Room Group

Do university’s care what A-level subjects you pick?

I am wanting to study forensic psychology later in uni but I was thinking of taking a level 3 extended diploma in art so I was wondering whether universities would care if I picked art?
Yes they would. I'm afraid what they really want is A-Levels, of which 1 or 2 should be sciences...
Deemed on the subject requirements. Outside of essential and preferred subjects, no, they don’t.
Original post by Azzy102
I am wanting to study forensic psychology later in uni but I was thinking of taking a level 3 extended diploma in art so I was wondering whether universities would care if I picked art?

For Psychology, some specify a preference for Maths, Biology, or sciences in general. Others say "no required subjects".

I suggest you check the entry requirements of some universities and see what they say. For example, Surrey say here that they'd be happy with a BTEC (QCF Level 3) Extended Diploma, with overall grades DDD, and specify the required subjects as "N/A".

Applying for a Pschology degree with an Extended Diploma in Art would certainly be unusual though, and might raise a few eyebrows.
Original post by Azzy102

Hey,

It depends on the uni. To be honest, when I looked, most unis didn't have specific A-levels they wanted for psychology, except some of the more 'prestigious' unis (i.e. Cambridge) wanted science (but even then they had alternative routes, such as exceptional performance at GCSE). So honestly I wouldn't stress! I did Psychology undergrad, masters & now PhD with Psychology, English & History A-levels and never had any problem. Most of the science bits they teach you anyway and start pretty basic, so having a science background isn't even a massive advantage :smile:

I also know someone doing a Forensic psych PhD now who doesn't have a science-based A-level background! So I would say check specific unis, but otherwise do what you enjoy!!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest