The Student Room Group
Reply 1

All schools have a designated member of staff with responsibility for health and safety. Either talk
to that person or - given your knowledge of the subject - become that person.
Reply 2
"John Walker" wrote:
[q1]> I'm fairly new to teaching but I know a lot about incident and dangerous occurrence reporting in[/q1]
[q1]> industry. I've recently seen a member of staff at[/q1]
a
[q1]> school sustain an injury which resulted in more than 3 days away from[/q1]
work.
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> This requires a compulsory report to the HSE in industry, but does anyone know if the RIDDOR regs[/q1]
[q1]> cover schools?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Yes, ALL UK health and safety legislation applies to schools. Failure to report to the HSE an
absence of more than 3 days due to work-related illness or injury is an offence under RIDDOR.

--
Eddie Newall http://www.freeinformationcentre.co.uk
Reply 3
On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 19:07:52 GMT, "John Walker" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>This reuires a compulsory report to the HSE in industry, but does anyone know if the RIDDOR regs[/q1]
[q1]>cover schools?[/q1]

Employees and visitors, but not pupils. You can do it online at
http://www.riddor.gov.uk/reportanincident.html

Simon
Reply 4
"Eddie Newall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> "John Walker" wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > I'm fairly new to teaching but I know a lot about incident and dangerous occurrence reporting in[/q2]
[q2]> > industry. I've recently seen a member of staff[/q2]
at
[q1]> a[/q1]
[q2]> > school sustain an injury which resulted in more than 3 days away from[/q2]
[q1]> work.[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > This requires a compulsory report to the HSE in industry, but does[/q2]
anyone
[q2]> > know if the RIDDOR regs cover schools?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Yes, ALL UK health and safety legislation applies to schools. Failure to report to the HSE an[/q1]
[q1]> absence of more than 3 days due to work-related[/q1]
illness
[q1]> or injury is an offence under RIDDOR.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Eddie Newall http://www.freeinformationcentre.co.uk[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Thanks for that. I was fairly sure RIDDOR would apply. I suspect this incident may result in a claim
for Criminal Injuries Comp as well, so the rules will have to be observed.

John
Reply 5
"User 1951" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 19:07:52 GMT, "John Walker" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >I'm fairly new to teaching but I know a lot about incident and dangerous occurrence reporting in[/q2]
[q2]> >industry. I've recently seen a member of staff[/q2]
at a
[q2]> >school sustain an injury which resulted in more than 3 days away from[/q2]
work.
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >This reuires a compulsory report to the HSE in industry, but does anyone know if the RIDDOR regs[/q2]
[q2]> >cover schools?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >John[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> All schools have a designated member of staff with responsibility for health and safety. Either[/q1]
[q1]> talk to that person or - given your knowledge of the subject - become that person.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I am but a mere supply teacher, alas, and unlikely to stay in any one school long enough to make
that sort of impact.. Actually, I have to admit that a return to the much more sane environment of
the petrochemical industry looks a damed sight more inviting at the moment!

John
Reply 6
[q1]> "John Walker" wrote Thanks for that. I was fairly sure RIDDOR would apply. I suspect this incident[/q1]
[q1]> may result in a claim for Criminal Injuries Comp as well, so the rules will have to be observed.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> John[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Ah, for criminal injuries compensation the incident must have been reported to the police.
Otherwise, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority will not consider an application.

--
Eddie Newall http://www.freeinformationcentre.co.uk
Reply 7

Indeed, and I gather these moves are in hand.

John
Reply 8
Don't make unsupported assumptions.

John
Reply 9
Did you think it would be as crazy as you find it actually is? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending