The Student Room Group

How long does it take to get a crime reference number after reporting a crime?

Last night, my phone was stolen in a nightclub. I reported the crime as soon as I got home, in the early hours of the morning. In order to get a new phone via insurance (which I obviously want as soon as possible), I believe I need a crime reference number. Obviiiously it varies massively depending on a number of factors, but I was just wondering if anyone who's reported a crime before could tell me how long it takes to get your crime reference number through?

I know that's a vague question, but at the moment I don't know whether I'm likely to be waiting a few hours or like a week, so any indication is beneficial.
Moved to the 'Advice on everyday issues' forum - I hope this may help you get more responses :smile:
Original post by anaturner
Last night, my phone was stolen in a nightclub. I reported the crime as soon as I got home, in the early hours of the morning. In order to get a new phone via insurance (which I obviously want as soon as possible), I believe I need a crime reference number. Obviiiously it varies massively depending on a number of factors, but I was just wondering if anyone who's reported a crime before could tell me how long it takes to get your crime reference number through?

I know that's a vague question, but at the moment I don't know whether I'm likely to be waiting a few hours or like a week, so any indication is beneficial.

When you say "I reported the crime as soon as I got home", how did you report it? Did you call 101, the police non-emergency number?

I'm sure that the last time I reported a crime in that way, they gave me the crime reference number whilst I was on the phone. So the answer to your question would be "immediately".
It should be straght after they logged in on their computer.
Reply 4
As others have said online, phone or in person you tend to receive the crime reference number straight away especially on the phone the make a point of ensuring they give the crime reference number and sometimes even texting the reference after the call.

I would contact the police force you contacted and asking for the reference number again. Its usually starts with the date the incident was reported.
Original post by Zizzi1
As others have said online, phone or in person you tend to receive the crime reference number straight away especially on the phone the make a point of ensuring they give the crime reference number and sometimes even texting the reference after the call.

I would contact the police force you contacted and asking for the reference number again. Its usually starts with the date the incident was reported.

That's a CAD number, not a crime reference. A CAD is generated when you call the police. It does not mean a crime has taken place or that a crime report has been taken. A Crime Reference number is only generated when someone from the police has taken your account of what has occurred, determined that a crime has actually taken place and then taken the details of the property, venue, victim(s) etc. It should be a string of numbers followed by the year - although this can vary by force. Usually something like 1234567/23. There might be two letters at the front denoting the division within the force area in which the crime took place.
Reply 6
Yes

Original post by Trinculo
That's a CAD number, not a crime reference. A CAD is generated when you call the police. It does not mean a crime has taken place or that a crime report has been taken. A Crime Reference number is only generated when someone from the police has taken your account of what has occurred, determined that a crime has actually taken place and then taken the details of the property, venue, victim(s) etc. It should be a string of numbers followed by the year - although this can vary by force. Usually something like 1234567/23. There might be two letters at the front denoting the division within the force area in which the crime took place.

Yes you are right the last incident I reported a hit and run ( rear ended and the person drove off) I was given CAD number before getting a 16 digit reference number later
Reply 7
Original post by Trinculo

Yes! So how long does this take?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending