The Student Room Group

Bristol law or Nottingham law

hiya so i got acceptance offers from these 2 universities and i am so torn off on which one should i choose i really like the fact that in Notts is a campus and not a city campus like bristol however bristol employability is better. which one should i choose now for me nottingham is a little cheaper i wanna go with the right decision can u give me all the pros and cons for both. idk why many people r talking **** aboutt nottingham someone clarify pleaseee
Reply 1
also take into consideration student life (which i felt is nicer in nottingham) but bristols are harbors and lakes are astonshing too which one is more recommended please take all aspects into consideration
Notts is defo better for law
Reply 3
Original post by Panjsuce
Notts is defo better for law

why is that? can u please give me more reasons why and do notts students usally secure TC with magic circle law firms and US firms
Reply 4
why did you reply with all of this ********... simply if you do not want to answer don't. but don't be rude for no reason. I am an international student so i want to take several point of views into consideration and also ask students because I don't want my choice to be fully dependent on google..
Reply 5
Original post by JoeClements
Why do you feel the need to give such a snarky response? The person asked completely normal questions.

thank you.. do u have any idea about the 2 unis in law tho?
Reply 6
Accommodation is likely to be much cheaper in Nottingham
Reply 7
PLUS why is nottingham not good i wouldn't mind taking ur point of view about unis
I don't know much about law, but my sister was in a similar situation to you last year - deciding whether to firm Nottingham or Bristol.

I can't say much about which is 'better,' but my sister ended up picking Nottingham and is loving it so far. The campus is beautiful & the teaching, though online, has been great. I'm not sure if Bristol offers something similar (though I'm sure a quick Google search would do), but Nottingham's Law LLB has the option of applying to a 'year abroad,' given you're doing well & have the grades. It's quite competitive to apply for, but definitely worth it as my sister is an international student as well, so the fact that the university connects you with other prestigious universities (closer to home for us) including Singapore's National University & a handful of universities in Australia is great, as it helps if you want to work there. Also, where I'm from, Nottingham is more 'known' than Bristol as they have campuses in Malaysia and China as well. Just something to keep in mind if you're hoping to work abroad.
Reply 9
Original post by lawyer1456
hiya so i got acceptance offers from these 2 universities and i am so torn off on which one should i choose i really like the fact that in Notts is a campus and not a city campus like bristol however bristol employability is better. which one should i choose now for me nottingham is a little cheaper i wanna go with the right decision can u give me all the pros and cons for both. idk why many people r talking **** aboutt nottingham someone clarify pleaseee

Hey sorry just checking- did you get these offers for Law last year & defer? Just wondering because otherwise would be very early in this application cycle (I think, sorry whole system is new to me...) and haven't heard of anyone else getting offers from Bristol/Nottingham Law yet. Well done on both anyway though, both amazing unis!
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
Accommodation is likely to be much cheaper in Nottingham

other than the accommodation is the living expenses in both the same (since outside london?)
Reply 11
my questions aren't out of laziness ive done my research but i wanted to take the locals point of view plus the searches in TSR are either long time ago 7 years ago things have changed or arent about law school
Reply 12
Original post by confuzzledteen
I don't know much about law, but my sister was in a similar situation to you last year - deciding whether to firm Nottingham or Bristol.

I can't say much about which is 'better,' but my sister ended up picking Nottingham and is loving it so far. The campus is beautiful & the teaching, though online, has been great. I'm not sure if Bristol offers something similar (though I'm sure a quick Google search would do), but Nottingham's Law LLB has the option of applying to a 'year abroad,' given you're doing well & have the grades. It's quite competitive to apply for, but definitely worth it as my sister is an international student as well, so the fact that the university connects you with other prestigious universities (closer to home for us) including Singapore's National University & a handful of universities in Australia is great, as it helps if you want to work there. Also, where I'm from, Nottingham is more 'known' than Bristol as they have campuses in Malaysia and China as well. Just something to keep in mind if you're hoping to work abroad.

thank you, that was really helpful.. if i may ask what is ur sister studying and according to her does she like the living and is notts a vibrant enough city for her not get bored or something... tbh i liked both a lot but nottinghams campuses are amazing. However, i dont want this to affect my choice of uni...
ah cool... and the hardest part is that most of their modules are the same so its the little things that matter and for me, the most important thing is employability in UK firms like big city law firms or MC or even Us firms...(ofc i have to work on my CV too) anways thank you and gd luck for ur sister
other than the accommodation is the living expenses in both the same (since outside london?)

I'd say so.
Reply 14
Original post by lcfm123
Hey sorry just checking- did you get these offers for Law last year & defer? Just wondering because otherwise would be very early in this application cycle (I think, sorry whole system is new to me...) and haven't heard of anyone else getting offers from Bristol/Nottingham Law yet. Well done on both anyway though, both amazing unis!

thank you... so ive got an early offer because i am going to do a foundation year at first and then continue to law school so they usually start accepting by now because u have to start choosing ur firm choices by January (considered the early admission for international students) for the visa and payments etcc...
Reply 15
Original post by Compost
I'd say so.

ah cool if uve been to both which one do u think has loads of things to do and isnt boring and is a better place for students to study and get a part time job?
ah cool if uve been to both which one do u think has loads of things to do and isnt boring and is a better place for students to study and get a part time job?

Hard to say. They both in the top 20 cities in the UK for size and have big student populations, pre-covid there were lots of jobs in both if you went to look but I'm not so sure now. Perhaps you might say Bristol is the nicer place to live - its popularity (not just amongst students) has gone up a lot in the past 15 years. Nottingham Uni has a lovely campus but Bristol is not a campus based university.
thank you, that was really helpful.. if i may ask what is ur sister studying and according to her does she like the living and is notts a vibrant enough city for her not get bored or something... tbh i liked both a lot but nottinghams campuses are amazing. However, i dont want this to affect my choice of uni...
ah cool... and the hardest part is that most of their modules are the same so its the little things that matter and for me, the most important thing is employability in UK firms like big city law firms or MC or even Us firms...(ofc i have to work on my CV too) anways thank you and gd luck for ur sister

She's studying LLB Law as well :smile: She's just started at Nottingham (first year), so everything's obviously been online so I can't comment much about in-person teaching butttt from what she's told me, the online classes are really well organised and structured. And yeap, she's finding Nottingham cool & definitely interesting - but to be fair, given where we come from, any city is vibrant & interesting in comparison xD She's had no problem making friends at Nottingham as people are super friendly apparently.. And yes, have you seen the library at Jubilee Campus!? Stunning. And honestly, about employability.. As both universities are on par (roughly similar levels), if I were you, I'd pick the university that I can see myself studying at more. Whichever draws you in more & you feel like you'd prefer. Both are great; once you're in, it's about how hard you study, your grades, whatever additional things you do etc. that'll land you a job at the big law firms - not so much the name of the school.
Reply 18
Original post by confuzzledteen
She's studying LLB Law as well :smile: She's just started at Nottingham (first year), so everything's obviously been online so I can't comment much about in-person teaching butttt from what she's told me, the online classes are really well organised and structured. And yeap, she's finding Nottingham cool & definitely interesting - but to be fair, given where we come from, any city is vibrant & interesting in comparison xD She's had no problem making friends at Nottingham as people are super friendly apparently.. And yes, have you seen the library at Jubilee Campus!? Stunning. And honestly, about employability.. As both universities are on par (roughly similar levels), if I were you, I'd pick the university that I can see myself studying at more. Whichever draws you in more & you feel like you'd prefer. Both are great; once you're in, it's about how hard you study, your grades, whatever additional things you do etc. that'll land you a job at the big law firms - not so much the name of the school.

thank you so much that was so helpful good luck for both of you x
Reply 19
Original post by Compost
Hard to say. They both in the top 20 cities in the UK for size and have big student populations, pre-covid there were lots of jobs in both if you went to look but I'm not so sure now. Perhaps you might say Bristol is the nicer place to live - its popularity (not just amongst students) has gone up a lot in the past 15 years. Nottingham Uni has a lovely campus but Bristol is not a campus based university.

thank you

Quick Reply