The Student Room Group

cna someone help me with this biology question

The conditions in many different environments are changing as a result of global warming. One theory is that this will affect organisms that reproduce asexually more than it affects organisms that reproduce sexually.

Discuss this idea, using your knowledge of differences between asexual and sexual reproduction.
Original post by The Real Me
The conditions in many different environments are changing as a result of global warming. One theory is that this will affect organisms that reproduce asexually more than it affects organisms that reproduce sexually.

Discuss this idea, using your knowledge of differences between asexual and sexual reproduction.

Im not sure that even research biologists could give a full answer to this!
As far as I know, the most obvious impact is the result of changes in ocean temperatures - many asexual species use temperature as the cue to trigger their reproductive cycles. Sexually reproducing organisms might use other cues eg daylength, seasonal food availability, which are less directly linked to temperature? Maybe? Here's one link that suggests this https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/how-does-global-warming-affect-asexual-reproduction.html
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending