The Student Room Group

Paying off student loan debt after postgraduate

Should I really be concerned about having to pay off a larger debt after postgraduate since usually you pay off the debt overtime just like what you do after undergraduate degrees?

so 3 yr undergraduate course cost around £27K. but for the postguaduate course im interested is around 2 years long or more which is around £10K + £10K = £20K

So in total im close to paying £50K which is quite insanely high for a debt to be issued, so im kinda on the fence on whether its worth it to continue studying.
Original post by TopmanPro.
Should I really be concerned about having to pay off a larger debt after postgraduate since usually you pay off the debt overtime just like what you do after undergraduate degrees?

so 3 yr undergraduate course cost around £27K. but for the postguaduate course im interested is around 2 years long or more which is around £10K + £10K = £20K

So in total im close to paying £50K which is quite insanely high for a debt to be issued, so im kinda on the fence on whether its worth it to continue studying.

That would be an issue, because the maximum postgrad loan you can get is £12,220 (total not per year)...... Leaving you with quite a shortfall. Your best off finding a one year master. Or you could have studied in the Netherlands at a world class institution for €2,143 which is what I decided to do..... But Brexit... So not an option for you anymore. Unless your a national of an EU country.
Original post by TopmanPro.

I think it’s only worth taking on the extra debt and taking the extra time out of your life if the postgraduate study will help you enter a particular career like the PGCE for teaching say or a Masters in Marketing or LPC for Law.

Otherwise you may never see much tangible benefit although some people choose to do further study because they are passionate about a subject and that’s a fair reason too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending