The Student Room Group

Why does Student Loans Company want to discuss my repayment plan?

I have a repayment plan with SLC to repay my postgraduate loan. The payment plan began while I was unemployed and I have been paying in installments of £10 by direct debit.

I am now in employment (fixed term ending in december 2023) earning a salary of £23,194.

I've received a text message from SLC today which reads:
You have a repayment arrangement with us which we would like to discuss. You need to call us now on 03001000368. You may also receive an email about this.

I have a feeling this is to discuss increasing the amount I repay. However, despite now being in work I'm really not in a position to pay any more than I already am due to debts and living costs.

Why are SLC asking me to contact them?
Will SLC know that I am now in employment, without me telling them this?
How can I prevent the figure I repay from increasing on the basis of my employment?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ell-
I have a repayment plan with SLC to repay my postgraduate loan. The payment plan began while I was unemployed and I have been paying in installments of £10 by direct debit.

I am now in employment (fixed term ending in december 2023) earning a salary of £23,194.

I've received a text message from SLC today which reads:
You have a repayment arrangement with us which we would like to discuss. You need to call us now on 03001000368. You may also receive an email about this.

I have a feeling this is to discuss increasing the amount I repay. However, despite now being in work I'm really not in a position to pay any more than I already am due to debts and living costs.

Why are SLC asking me to contact them and how can I prevent the figure I repay from increasing on the basis of my employment?

If you were only paying 10 per month when unemployed, I'm sure you can afford more than that now you are earning 23k pa. Even with the cost of living, you should be able to pay a small extra sum. They may ask you for a list of outgoings etc to see how much you can afford.
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
If you were only paying 10 per month when unemployed, I'm sure you can afford more than that now you are earning 23k pa. Even with the cost of living, you should be able to pay a small extra sum. They may ask you for a list of outgoings etc to see how much you can afford.

Unfortunately I cannot afford any more as I accrued a lot of debt trying to survive whilst I was unemployed. I have only been back in employment for under 6 months and will only be in this role for a further 6 and as a result the debts accrued are by no means paid off. Based on what youve said i presume it will just require me to complete the form of my outgoings as i previously did. Thanks for your response.
Reply 3
Original post by ell-
Unfortunately I cannot afford any more as I accrued a lot of debt trying to survive whilst I was unemployed. I have only been back in employment for under 6 months and will only be in this role for a further 6 and as a result the debts accrued are by no means paid off. Based on what youve said i presume it will just require me to complete the form of my outgoings as i previously did. Thanks for your response.

SLC is one of your creditors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending