The Student Room Group

lsf without sfe

guys im not using student finance and now I got an email saying "To continue with your application please confirm, in writing, the reason(s) you are not claiming a student loan and how the cost of your tuition fees will be met."
what do I do
Original post by tiredgirl1
guys im not using student finance and now I got an email saying "To continue with your application please confirm, in writing, the reason(s) you are not claiming a student loan and how the cost of your tuition fees will be met."
what do I do

I assume you are referring to applying for the NHS Learning Support Fund? To apply for the NHS LSF you need to be able to show that you are eligible for student finance even if you don't take it. Check the eligibility conditions for SFE to make sure that you could apply if you wanted to and then give you reason for not taking the loans (eg due to religion, etc.).

From the NHS LSF website:

Eligibility for NHS LSF
To apply for support, you need to be:

studying on an eligible programme at a university in England
eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support from the Student Loans Company, either through:
Student Finance England (SFE)
Student Finance Wales (SFW)
Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)
actively in study, whether academic or practice learning

Other arrangements are in place for those who may not apply for a loan due to personal reasons.

Those students must still show that they meet the eligibility criteria as defined by SFE, SFW, SFNI or SAAS, as applicable.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
Reply 2
Original post by tiredgirl1
what do I do

Hi, what you did at the end?
Did you manage to get NHS lsf without student loan?

I got the same email and I don't know what to do either.
Original post by normaw
I assume you are referring to applying for the NHS Learning Support Fund? To apply for the NHS LSF you need to be able to show that you are eligible for student finance even if you don't take it. Check the eligibility conditions for SFE to make sure that you could apply if you wanted to and then give you reason for not taking the loans (eg due to religion, etc.).
From the NHS LSF website:
Eligibility for NHS LSF
To apply for support, you need to be:
studying on an eligible programme at a university in England
eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support from the Student Loans Company, either through:
Student Finance England (SFE)
Student Finance Wales (SFW)
Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)
actively in study, whether academic or practice learning
Other arrangements are in place for those who may not apply for a loan due to personal reasons.
Those students must still show that they meet the eligibility criteria as defined by SFE, SFW, SFNI or SAAS, as applicable.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

Hi, would the reason impact if we actually get the grant or not? I am thinking of self funding whilst using the grant as I have enough from savings. Are we able to do this?
Original post by Star0312
Hi, what you did at the end?
Did you manage to get NHS lsf without student loan?
I got the same email and I don't know what to do either.

Hi did you end up getting the grant? Im also looking to get LSF without SFE tuition or maintenance loan.
Original post by VioletBee
Hi, would the reason impact if we actually get the grant or not? I am thinking of self funding whilst using the grant as I have enough from savings. Are we able to do this?

I don't know the answer to this so I'd recommend you contact the NHS LSF and ask if your circumstances would still permit you to claim the grant (they usually respond quite quickly). If you could update this thread when you get a response, that would be very helpful. :smile:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf/contact-us
(edited 5 days ago)
Original post by normaw
I don't know the answer to this so I'd recommend you contact the NHS LSF and ask if your circumstances would still permit you to claim the grant (they usually respond quite quickly). If you could update this thread when you get a response, that would be very helpful. :smile:
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf/contact-us

Thankyou for your reply. Yes, ill add to this thread if they respond to my question - I will also apply for SFE just in case and cancel it if my decisions change. Might possibly be able to use the SFE confirmation letter even if I don't end up taking the loan. Most of the websites and sources ive seen so far only indicate that we need to eligible and not that we need to take a loan out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending