The Student Room Group

Is being in school more important than the health of people?

currently cases are rising in most parts of England. A scientist has said schools should close to certain years. If it meant getting the amount of cases back down and beating the virus, would you be ok with moving back to learning virtually or do you think staying in school with teachers is more important?
Original post by Edland64
currently cases are rising in most parts of England. A scientist has said schools should close to certain years. If it meant getting the amount of cases back down and beating the virus, would you be ok with moving back to learning virtually or do you think staying in school with teachers is more important?

I think it’s more important to keep students in school with teachers. If they are in bubbles then year group bubbles can be sent home if there is an outbreak in cases, without every year being affected.
It isn’t fair to expect all students to learn virtually - not fair on uni students either but that’s a separate issue.
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
I think it’s more important to keep students in school with teachers. If they are in bubbles then year group bubbles can be sent home if there is an outbreak in cases, without every year being affected.
It isn’t fair to expect all students to learn virtually - not fair on uni students either but that’s a separate issue.

to be clear I didn't mean close schools entirely, just certain year groups. My question is meant to be more broad too. If staying in school was a risk to their health and safety, should the school close? Not just talking covid, but in general. What's more important children's health or education?
Original post by Edland64
to be clear I didn't mean close schools entirely, just certain year groups. My question is meant to be more broad too. If staying in school was a risk to their health and safety, should the school close? Not just talking covid, but in general. What's more important children's health or education?

They are both linked. Poor education in childhood means more likelihood of poorer health in adulthood. Poor health in childhood can mean disrupted education which can then mean a host of other problems.

Now what I'm about to say next may shock you, but it needs to be said. There were plenty of things that could make children sick before covid, those things will still be there once everyone gets bored of covid. The chances of a healthy child getting seriously ill and dying from covid-19 are very slim. Children are better off staying in school. Those who are concerned should just get their parents to register them as homeschooled and there you go. Apparent problem 'sorted'.

Quick Reply

Latest