The Student Room Group

Eating

Hi I could really do with some advice please.

Since starting college again I'm finding that I am struggling with eating in public, I think it's because I cough a lot so i'm anxious about this and also just eating in general outside of my house.

Does anyone know what causes this? My parent says "I need to be careful in case it progresses/gets worse" but I don't really know what that means?

Can someone offer advice please please
Hi, I think baby steps is necessary here. You need to acknowledge that it is okay that you struggle with eating in public. Maybe one day you can start by eating outside your house with your parent/ trusted peer alongside you to reduce your anxiety. I hope you feel better soon!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Guardians0111
Hi I could really do with some advice please.

Since starting college again I'm finding that I am struggling with eating in public, I think it's because I cough a lot so i'm anxious about this and also just eating in general outside of my house.

Does anyone know what causes this? My parent says "I need to be careful in case it progresses/gets worse" but I don't really know what that means?

Can someone offer advice please please

You’ve mentioned the reason you’re anxious is because you cough a lot - is this something that could be looked into medically?

I’m sorry if this comes across as insensitive and you have a medical condition which causes you to cough - if this is the case then have you spoken to your friends about how you feel? Feeling comfortable around the people you sit with/spend time with the most when you eat might help. Their understanding that it’s normal for you will mean their body language is more relaxed, and consequently you will also feel more relaxed. Also, any lurking bullies / other judgemental people will see that they respect you and be less likely to give you that side glance.

Are you being bullied for it, or is it more of a self-conscious / anxiety thing? Absolutely normal either way - I was always very anxious and awkward at school because I was so afraid of being judged. It can be a really challenging part of your life if you’re an introvert!

Quick Reply

Latest